A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Do you forget how to Ski??



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 5th 04, 09:28 PM
Chris Wilburn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

This might sound silly but I cannot really find any kind of answer (perhaps
because there is not one) but here goes.

I have just booked a trip to Livigno, Italy with 4 mates for February this
year.

They have all been skiing several times and I suppose are classed as
intermediate / advanced level.

I have only been once before, but this was 7 years ago when I was then 16
years old.
By the end of this 7 day trip was parallel skiing confidently after 8 hrs
tuition and on the last day even managed a red run.

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a bike
were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I have to
start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be somewhere in
between.

Can anyone out there shed any light on the subject, and perhaps also how you
think I would get on in Livigno. From what I hear on the internet it is
good for beginners / intermediate level skiers.

Thanks in advance

Chris



Ads
  #2  
Old January 5th 04, 09:59 PM
David Brown :o\)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

I had a 20 year gap from the age of 12 until 32 and was parrarel turning
comfortably on the first run down.
Having said that, it takes me a couple of days every year now to get back to
my normal standard.

--
David )
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack


  #3  
Old January 6th 04, 07:19 AM
Ian Spare
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Chris Wilburn wrote:
| I have only been once before, but this was 7 years ago when I was then 16
| years old.
| By the end of this 7 day trip was parallel skiing confidently after 8 hrs
| tuition and on the last day even managed a red run.


We took my girlfriends brother skiing over the holiday and he'd not been
for 5 years or so after tumbling into a crevasse. I think he'd been to a
dry slope a couple of times and he's reasonably fit which must help. The
conditions were so good on the first day it seemed unmissable to be
off-piste and he was just fine. The timing was good though, he went from
some 2m planks 5 years back to a pair of 170 all round carving skis I
had laying around, that must help !

Ian
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.2.3-nr1 (Windows XP)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iD8DBQE/+m+K0umTaBERZM8RAv78AJ9ORls41+QAXg1Q/O2/QEu5S36jPwCgk59A
ytt87+n/idhUoIqXh5dwOco=
=0ZfY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  #4  
Old January 6th 04, 08:45 AM
MoonMan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Chris Wilburn wrote:
This might sound silly but I cannot really find any kind of answer
(perhaps because there is not one) but here goes.

I have just booked a trip to Livigno, Italy with 4 mates for February
this year.

They have all been skiing several times and I suppose are classed as
intermediate / advanced level.

I have only been once before, but this was 7 years ago when I was
then 16 years old.
By the end of this 7 day trip was parallel skiing confidently after 8
hrs tuition and on the last day even managed a red run.

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a
bike were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I
have to start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be
somewhere in between.

Can anyone out there shed any light on the subject, and perhaps also
how you think I would get on in Livigno. From what I hear on the
internet it is good for beginners / intermediate level skiers.

Thanks in advance

Chris


I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say you
should have a great time.


--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk


  #5  
Old January 6th 04, 01:41 PM
Rob White
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Its like riding a bike - you never forget
Rob
"Chris Wilburn" M wrote in
message ...
This might sound silly but I cannot really find any kind of answer

(perhaps
because there is not one) but here goes.

I have just booked a trip to Livigno, Italy with 4 mates for February this
year.

They have all been skiing several times and I suppose are classed as
intermediate / advanced level.

I have only been once before, but this was 7 years ago when I was then 16
years old.
By the end of this 7 day trip was parallel skiing confidently after 8 hrs
tuition and on the last day even managed a red run.

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a bike
were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I have to
start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be somewhere in
between.

Can anyone out there shed any light on the subject, and perhaps also how

you
think I would get on in Livigno. From what I hear on the internet it is
good for beginners / intermediate level skiers.

Thanks in advance

Chris





  #6  
Old January 6th 04, 05:27 PM
S. Gione
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Everyone seems to be telling you to go-go.

The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your mates.
A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have enough
experience that can be "remembered".

Heading out with other int/advanced 23-year olds with the testosterone
flowing, you may find yourself on some steep slope covered with bumps. 7
days of experience may not be enough to "enjoy" that.


"Chris Wilburn" M wrote in
message ...
This might sound silly but I cannot really find any kind of answer

(perhaps
because there is not one) but here goes.

I have just booked a trip to Livigno, Italy with 4 mates for February this
year.

They have all been skiing several times and I suppose are classed as
intermediate / advanced level.

I have only been once before, but this was 7 years ago when I was then 16
years old.
By the end of this 7 day trip was parallel skiing confidently after 8 hrs
tuition and on the last day even managed a red run.

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a bike
were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I have to
start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be somewhere in
between.

Can anyone out there shed any light on the subject, and perhaps also how

you
think I would get on in Livigno. From what I hear on the internet it is
good for beginners / intermediate level skiers.

Thanks in advance

Chris





  #7  
Old January 6th 04, 10:05 PM
Turan Fettahoglu
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

My question is do you ever forget how to ski

The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your

mates.
A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have

enough
experience that can be "remembered".


S. Gione is right, take some skiing lessons to brush up your skiing skills.
One more thing: skis have become better in the past years. I replaced my
very old skis with carving skis - and it did make a great difference.

Rent a pair of new skis, do some training for a day or two - and enjoy the
rest of your stay.

HTH
Turan


  #8  
Old January 6th 04, 11:25 PM
Jim Hutton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:45:06 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

Chris Wilburn wrote:

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding a
bike were once you have mastered it you really never forget or will I
have to start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer will be
somewhere in between.



I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say you
should have a great time.


I would seriously recommend NOT going to the dry-slope (snow dome may
be better, I don't know).

It is the received wisdom that some dry-slope before you go back to
skiing is a good idea, and for years I did this. I found that despite
this it took at least a morning to even feel comfortable on snow, let
alone be back to last year's standard.

I assumed that this was the best I could do, until one year due to
circumstances I couldn't do any dry-slope. The difference was amazing
- I felt at home on the snow immediately, and was skiing with my usual
over-confidence within an hour.

Has anyone else found this ?

Jim Hutton

  #9  
Old January 6th 04, 11:39 PM
James Hart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Jim Hutton wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 09:45:06 -0000, "MoonMan"
wrote:

Chris Wilburn wrote:

My question is do you ever forget how to ski?? Is it like riding
a bike were once you have mastered it you really never forget or
will I have to start from the beginning. I am guessing the answer
will be somewhere in between.



I would suggest spending an hour or so at your local dry slope or
SnowDome/zone. this should at least start to bring your unused skiing
reflexes back. you don't lose them they just have to be used.

From my massive experience of livigno (1 day last year) I would say
you should have a great time.


I would seriously recommend NOT going to the dry-slope (snow dome may
be better, I don't know).

It is the received wisdom that some dry-slope before you go back to
skiing is a good idea, and for years I did this. I found that despite
this it took at least a morning to even feel comfortable on snow, let
alone be back to last year's standard.

I assumed that this was the best I could do, until one year due to
circumstances I couldn't do any dry-slope. The difference was amazing
- I felt at home on the snow immediately, and was skiing with my usual
over-confidence within an hour.

Has anyone else found this ?


I too find it takes a few runs on snow after running on plastic to get a
real 'feel' back but I know I feel a lot more confident after getting a few
hours on plastic under my belt before doing the real thing. I've got no
direct comparison but next weekend about half our group hasn't skiied since
last year whereas the other half will have had a couple of hours on the dry
slope. It will be interesting to see the difference between the 2 groups.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk


  #10  
Old January 6th 04, 11:44 PM
AndyM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Do you forget how to Ski??

Turan Fettahoglu wrote:
My question is do you ever forget how to ski



The wise choice would be for you, having only a week 7 years ago, would be
to spend a couple of days in ski school before heading out with your


mates.

A lot of skiing is "remembered" but the question is whether you have


enough

experience that can be "remembered".



S. Gione is right, take some skiing lessons to brush up your skiing skills.
One more thing: skis have become better in the past years. I replaced my
very old skis with carving skis - and it did make a great difference.

Rent a pair of new skis, do some training for a day or two - and enjoy the
rest of your stay.



I don't think you forget how to ski, but remembering may take time depending on the equipment you
are lumped with.

My second week took 4 days to get to where I was on the last day of my first time on skis. I've
always ended up with rented 185-190 non-carve planks, and the first day or so each time felt like a
nightmare trying to turn them. By the Wednesday, there were definitely muscles I never knew I had!!!

Last yr I got (newish) 175 carvers for the first time, and was back to normal by then end of the
first warmup run. I've never been able to turn so easily, handle the bumps, and link so many turns.

I don't know what it is, but in Lech I was advised I was not expert enough for carve skis for my
4th/5th week on snow, but in Les Gets they were dishing out carvers to newbies.

If all the others are advanced, and you are the only beginner, then take some refresher lessons.
But saying that, I believe that skiing with one/two better skiers helps you to improve.
--
AndyM

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dont`t forget Martin Snowboarding 0 October 8th 03 07:31 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.