Salt Lake / Park City Advice

Old January 20th 05, 05:12 PM
jeff

Default Salt Lake / Park City Advice

I am taking my two nine year olds skiing for the first time to Salt
Lake, and am getting a bit overwhelmed by the number of hills and
places to ski. The kids have never skied before, in fact have never
seen snow. We are going to be in Salt Lake the last weekend in
February. Can someone who has been to this area help me with these
questions?

Which mountain has a great ski school for kids? Some that I have seen
only have a few hours on the slopes. A personal recommendation would
be great.

Which mountain has a great selection of blue runs? (for me!)

We will be there over a weekend. Which mountain will I not spend most
of my time in a lift line?

Finally, where should I purchase lift tickets and ski rentals. Salt
Lake or at the mountain?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jeff
Houston, TX

Old January 20th 05, 05:52 PM
JB

Take the Family to Deer Valley, they have awesome blues and a great ski
school. PCMR would be 2nd and the Canyons 3rd.

Old January 20th 05, 06:16 PM

On 20 Jan 2005 09:12:19 -0800, "jeff" wrote:

I am taking my two nine year olds skiing for the first time to Salt
Lake, and am getting a bit overwhelmed by the number of hills and
places to ski. The kids have never skied before, in fact have never
seen snow. We are going to be in Salt Lake the last weekend in
February. Can someone who has been to this area help me with these
questions?

Which mountain has a great ski school for kids? Some that I have seen
only have a few hours on the slopes. A personal recommendation would
be great.

Which mountain has a great selection of blue runs? (for me!)

We will be there over a weekend. Which mountain will I not spend most
of my time in a lift line?

Finally, where should I purchase lift tickets and ski rentals. Salt
Lake or at the mountain?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Unless you want to ski steeps and powder at Alta, stay out of Utah.
Utah pretty much just sucks. For overpriced destination resort
familiy rip off packages, go to Colorado. You will be equally ripped
off but at least you won't be giving as much money to the Mormons.
You want a nice out of the way place with good snow? Grand Targhee
Idaho. You want something really nice without all the idiots? Try
Fernie, B.C.

Hal

Jeff
Houston, TX

Old January 20th 05, 07:24 PM
bdubya

On 20 Jan 2005 09:12:19 -0800, "jeff" wrote:

I am taking my two nine year olds skiing for the first time to Salt
Lake, and am getting a bit overwhelmed by the number of hills and
places to ski. The kids have never skied before, in fact have never
seen snow. We are going to be in Salt Lake the last weekend in
February. Can someone who has been to this area help me with these
questions?

Which mountain has a great ski school for kids? Some that I have seen
only have a few hours on the slopes. A personal recommendation would
be great.

Which mountain has a great selection of blue runs? (for me!)

We will be there over a weekend. Which mountain will I not spend most
of my time in a lift line?

Another vote for Deer Valley. Very good place for the kids to
learn, a lot of good blue and black cruising runs for you, a cap on
daily ticket sales to keep the crowds from getting too thick; sounds
like a good fit.

bw

Old January 20th 05, 09:59 PM
root

Utah pretty much just sucks. For overpriced destination resort
familiy rip off packages, go to Colorado. You will be equally ripped
off but at least you won't be giving as much money to the Mormons.
You want a nice out of the way place with good snow? Grand Targhee
Idaho. You want something really nice without all the idiots? Try
Fernie, B.C.

Hal

Jeff
Houston, TX

Actually percentage wise Idaho has more mormons than Utah.....

Thanks for keeping Utah resorts uncrowed!

Old January 20th 05, 11:26 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
root wrote:
Grand Targhee Idaho.

Actually percentage wise Idaho has more mormons than Utah.....

Actually, Grand Targhee is in Wyoming. Alta, Wyoming to be precise.

Thanks for keeping Utah resorts uncrowed!

I'm looking forward to spending a great storm cycle in the Alta parking
lot, (Utah), in the near future. And hey, as far as mormon girls go, the
more the merrier.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 21st 05, 12:29 AM
miles

I think the best area for beginners is Alta. They have an excellent ski
school for kids. The Albion, Sunnyside and Crescent lifts offer some of
the best beginner runs in the area. Very open area. I also like Alta
because it does not allow boarders.

Blues off the Supreme lift are fun. The rest of Alta has a few good
blue runs but most is black.

Solitude would be my 2nd choice for beginners. It too offers some great
beginner runs and also has plenty of blues.

As for lift lines its a tough call. I've seen long or short lines at
any of the resorts on any given day. Deer Valley limits their ticket
sales and does offer plenty of greens and blues. Its only problem is
the ticket cost. But for the money they do pamper you. Carry your skis
from your car, to the lodge or lift and the mid-mountain restaurants
have some of the best on slope food around. Its a 1st class place.

There are several ski shops in the area that offer lift ticket
discounts. As for rentals there are pros and cons as for where to rent.
In town you may get a better price and better selection. Also the
line to get equipment is usually short compared with long waits at some
ski areas. But, if you rent at the ski area and there is any equipment
problems, fitting troubles etc. you can always exchange it during the
day at no additional cost.

Old January 21st 05, 01:04 AM
Jeff Davis

In article u1YHd.4388$ry.3753@fed1read05, miles wrote:
I think the best area for beginners is Alta. They have an excellent ski
school for kids. The Albion, Sunnyside and Crescent lifts offer some of

^^^^^^^
You mean Cecret.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 21st 05, 01:57 AM
miles

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article u1YHd.4388$ry.3753@fed1read05, miles wrote:

I think the best area for beginners is Alta. They have an excellent ski
school for kids. The Albion, Sunnyside and Crescent lifts offer some of

^^^^^^^
You mean Cecret.

They mispelled Crescent (or was it Secret?) years ago and it was too
costly to redo all the signs and trailmaps that were already printed.
Either that or my keyboard made a typo again. It does that often.