Good day skiing closish to New York/Boston?

Old February 12th 04, 04:27 PM
Greg Hilton

Default Good day skiing closish to New York/Boston?

I asked this question last year and ended up heading to Mount Snow, where I
had a good time despite the bitter cold.

so same question again, Who has good conditions within a similiar drive
time as Mount Snow? Last year it took me a touch under 5 hours with one
stop for coffee. I will only get one days skiing in.

I could fly into either Boston or New York, but need to head back to
Trumbull, CT on the evening after I ski...so would want to be within say a
4 or 5 hour drive of there.

I mostly ski Europe, off-piste and difficult runs, so am after
anything good and reasonably challenging

thanks in advance,

Greg
Old February 12th 04, 05:01 PM
Walt

Greg Hilton wrote:

I asked this question last year and ended up heading to Mount Snow, where I
had a good time despite the bitter cold.

so same question again, Who has good conditions within a similiar drive
time as Mount Snow? Last year it took me a touch under 5 hours with one
stop for coffee. I will only get one days skiing in.

I could fly into either Boston or New York, but need to head back to
Trumbull, CT on the evening after I ski...so would want to be within say a
4 or 5 hour drive of there.

I mostly ski Europe, off-piste and difficult runs, so am after
anything good and reasonably challenging

Will you be arriving on a weekday or a weekend? Slopes tend to be
crowded in that highly populated part of the country, so crowds will
play a huge factor on where to recommend. There are some places that you
just don't want to be at on a Saturday or Sunday. Unsurprisingly, these
are the ones that will be most convenient for your drive.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 12th 04, 05:25 PM
Greg Hilton

Walt wrote in news:402BB156.7322CC68
@boatnerd.com.invalid:

Will you be arriving on a weekday or a weekend?

Probably arriving late Sunday to ski Monday.

regards,

greg
Old February 13th 04, 02:52 AM
gary c

Hi Greg.. I'd give Okemo a try if you're looking for something new. It
should be about the same drive time from Boston as Mt. Snow. I drive to
Okemo for day trips from Southern CT several times a season. Not a bad
drive at all.

Someone posted this site to the NG earlier.. has good distance info.
http://www.skidweeb.com/?s=&z=02108

Best Regards,
Gary

Old February 13th 04, 03:28 AM
Dhillus

Repeat after me: Do not go to Mount Snow again. Ever. It's the biggest ripoff
anywhere. For 60 bucks you should get more than 1,600 vertical, only a couple
of trails that are remotely challenging, and hordes of bad skiers from, ahem,
New York and Boston. Sure, you enjoyed it, but you were robbed. Even if sixty
bucks is pocket change to you, it's the principle of the thing. Mount Snow gets
away with robbery only because it's a little bit closer than better mountains
(and isn't snobby like Stratton, but that's another rant).

(Unless of course you can score some seriously discounted lift tickets -- say,
50 percent off.)

Okemo might work; never been there. Killington is pricey, but it's humongous,
and you won't be lonely.

For my money, you cannot beat northern Vermont: Stowe, Sugarbush. If you like
rustic -- and I mean really rustic -- try Mad River Glen, the anti-resort. That
is, if you really care just about skiing, not a lot of garbage. Of course,
these places are far from New York and Boston, but that's why they're good --
the distance keeps away the jerks. Stowe, especially, is not far from the
interstates, which are easy driving.

Others will disagree, but given your parameters, you could consider -- drum
roll -- Whiteface, New York. It's way up there, but once you get on the
Northway you can cruise to get there there and back to Trumbull. Biggest vert
in the East and never crowded. No colder or icier than Vermont.