Checking boot size?

Old August 26th 03, 05:00 PM
Greg Hilton

Default Checking boot size?

Any tips for checking boot size?

**embarassing story follows**

I've recently wondered if my ski boots are too big or not. For years I have
been buying shoes too big, I measure a 9 now and had been buying size 10/11
shoes for years. My boots are a 9.5.

I did the shell test and seem to remember a fair gap behind my heel when
the toes were touching the front of the shell.

Is there any other tests I can do?

regards,

greg
Old August 28th 03, 10:39 AM
Alun Evans

On Tue 26 Aug '03 at 18:00 Greg Hilton wrote:

Any tips for checking boot size?

**embarassing story follows**

I've recently wondered if my ski boots are too big or not. For years I have
been buying shoes too big, I measure a 9 now and had been buying size 10/11
shoes for years. My boots are a 9.5.

I did the shell test and seem to remember a fair gap behind my heel when
the toes were touching the front of the shell.

Is there any other tests I can do?

Well, as no-one else more knowledgeable has replied, I thought I'd chip in
with my few suggestions - I did have some boots fitted about a year ago.

(These are all with the boot done up)
The two most important things:

o you shouldn't be able to move your foot left or rightwards at all. Think
schussing over bumpy ground, you really don't want your foot to slide
around, and to get an edge on. (Canting could be an issue too though).

o when you flex forward, you really, really shouldn't be able to get your heel
off the sole at all. I ended up having some extra stuff put in one of my
boots, since my feet differ in size by about one whole size...

The other thing I've kinda noticed is with your heel well into the back of the
boot, flexing forward your toes shouldn't be touching the front at all. If you
lean back, into a really bad, your bound to fall backwards style of skiing,
some of your toes should touch the front of the boot slightly. (I knew I'd had
a bad days skiing when by left big toe ached).

If you're worried you could always go and buy some custom footbeds (about 20
quid), and they'll help with your boot fitting at the shop.

However if you've never had a sore ankle or any lower leg problems, and you've
been skiing hard, then you're probably ok.

Shame we havn't got something like the uk.rec.walking Boot FAQ.

Alun.
Old August 28th 03, 07:33 PM
Jim Hutton

"Greg Hilton" wrote in message
Any tips for checking boot size?

**embarassing story follows**

I've recently wondered if my ski boots are too big or not. For years I

have
been buying shoes too big, I measure a 9 now and had been buying size

10/11
shoes for years. My boots are a 9.5.

I did the shell test and seem to remember a fair gap behind my heel when
the toes were touching the front of the shell.

Is there any other tests I can do?

regards,

greg

Snag is that different brands are different shapes inside, which means that
the same size boots of two different brands might be 'different' sizes as
far as your feet are concerned.

IMHO ski boots should be as tight as possible all round without hurting -
which means you MUST be sure you and the maker have the same shape foot in
mind. eg I find almost ALL Nordica boots are fine, but Salomon crucify me.
My son swears by Raichle. So my tip is to find the boot brand which fits
you.

If you have no ideas at all, the best is probably to hire boots for a day or
two - then you can try different makes & sizes. Trouble is that the 'hire'
range is not always (a) up to date or (b) in good condition (inners worn,
etc).

HTH.

Jim Hutton