Weird physics / chemistry curiousity.

Old January 22nd 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

Default Weird physics / chemistry curiousity.

I work with liquid nitrogen alot in my line of work. When surfaces
are super-chilled, there is no risk of those surfaces transmitting an
RNA-degrading protein to my precious samples. After the parts of
machine with said surfaces are done doing their thing, I have to
instantly wash and rinse them in distilled water (per manufacturers
instructions, risk of rust due to steel type or something)...so these
parts are still extremely cold.

When I so much as put the parts near a water source, it's almost like
they act as a condensor for gas, as alot of gas will collect and
eminate from the part. It got me thinking...so I took of my gloves
and hovered my hand (wet with condensation and oils n'stuff I guess)
over a tub of liquid nitrogen...and the same thing happened. Same
thing will happen with an aluminum cage when I place it in a dry
sink...

What is going on here ? Obviously these materials aren't releasing
gas. I'd say they're acting as a condensor due to the cold
temperature of the material...but the same thing happens with my
hand. Just curious.
Old January 22nd 11, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
Yabahoobs wrote:

[...]

Your hands and water sources are emitting water molecules all the time.

In any population of atoms, there is a distribution of energies and some
number of molecules at any given time will have enough energy to break
free of the mass. If you're in close proximity to a cold enough object,
then it is going to chill the air immediately around it and almost
immediately after leaving the surface of the water (or your hand) those
high energy water molecules will lose their energy to the chilled air
and start colliding into tiny water droplets: the "gas" you see.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 22nd 11, 02:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 18:51:47 -0800 (PST), Yabahoobs
wrote this crap:

I work with liquid nitrogen alot in my line of work. When surfaces
are super-chilled, there is no risk of those surfaces transmitting an
RNA-degrading protein to my precious samples.

Really? Why is that?

[...]

The cold chills the air and then the air can't hold as much humidity.
It condenses into a fog.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old January 22nd 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:02:29 -0800, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

In article
,
Yabahoobs wrote:

[...]

I believe you are exactly right. When the air temp is cooled the
humidity rises and when it goes over 100% the water vapor condenses
into fog.

BTW do NOT take off your gloves near the liquid nitrogen, but I think
you already know that.

Vote for Palin-brown in 2012. repeal the nightmares.

Old January 22nd 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Jan 21, 6:51*pm, Yabahoobs wrote:
[...]

This explains everything. You apparently took off your diapers and
hovered your package over liquid nitrogen, and froze them off.
Hey, got any comment on your buddy Brain Fried Bob
pppppppuuuuuusssssssyyyyyyiiiiiinnnnnngggggg out when I was in Utah?
You sure talked a whole bunch of **** last year when you
pppppuuuuusssssiiiiiieeeessss challenged me to a meet when you had a
month's notice I would be out of town.
What's that? Silence again? Sorta like tennis?
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA
Old January 23rd 11, 12:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Jan 22, 8:02*am, wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:02:29 -0800, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

In article
,
Yabahoobs wrote:

[...]

Yeah no worries...I'm experienced around the N2. It's all good.
Alan's explanation makes sense. Thanks !
Old January 23rd 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,
Yabahoobs wrote:

On Jan 22, 8:02*am, wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:02:29 -0800, Alan Baker
wrote this crap:

In article
,
Yabahoobs wrote:

[...]

How do get any work done with liquid N@ around to play with? I'd be
doing "experiments" all day!
Old January 23rd 11, 04:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

On 01/23/11 09:39, Dave Cartman wrote:

How do get any work done with liquid N@ around to play with? I'd be
doing "experiments" all day!

Got warts and a Q-Tip?

--
Cheers, Bev
I'm pretty sure omnipotent entities don't need

Old January 23rd 11, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ron Capik[_2_]

On 1/23/2011 12:39 PM, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

...snip...

Yeah no worries...I'm experienced around the N2. It's all good.
Alan's explanation makes sense. Thanks !

How do get any work done with liquid N@ around to play with? I'd be
doing "experiments" all day!

That brings back memories of some of the liquid N2 battles
we had. Plastic gloves filled with LN2 at 20 paces. :-)

Later...
Ron C
Old January 23rd 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Jan 23, 10:36*am, Ron Capik wrote:
On 1/23/2011 12:39 PM, Dave Cartman wrote: In article
,
* *wrote:

...snip...

Yeah no worries...I'm experienced around the N2. *It's all good.
Alan's explanation makes sense. *Thanks !

How do get any work done with liquid N@ around to play with? *I'd be
doing "experiments" all day!

That brings back memories of some of the liquid N2 battles
we had. Plastic gloves filled with LN2 at 20 paces. :-)

Later...
Ron C
--

Yeah we like to torture the CS-guy in our lab with LN2 filled glove-
bombs under his chair. We feel fine morally given his stubborn desire