Accommodation - Geneva Airport

Old October 4th 04, 09:00 AM
Ash

Default Accommodation - Geneva Airport

A group of us are off skiing to Le Grand Bornard in January. Accommodation
in the resort is booked Saturday to Saturday, but we arrive at Geneva
Airport about 9pm on the Friday night.

We have two options, find a nights accommodation at the resort, arrive about
10pm, but be ready to hit the slopes first thing in the morning

or stay in airport accommodation and travel to the resort Saturday morning.

I can find hotels in the resort, but most seem to be closed at the moment
(out of season) so booking now is a problem.

Not knowing Geneva airport well (only been once before) is there reasonably
priced accommodation near by and what sort of prices would we be looking at?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ash

Old October 4th 04, 05:18 PM
'Hog

There is an Ibis in that area www.ibishotels.com. 3 in fact.

--
'Hog

Old October 5th 04, 07:57 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Ash" wrote in message
A group of us are off skiing to Le Grand Bornard in January. Accommodation
in the resort is booked Saturday to Saturday, but we arrive at Geneva
Airport about 9pm on the Friday night.

We have two options, find a nights accommodation at the resort, arrive

about
10pm, but be ready to hit the slopes first thing in the morning

or stay in airport accommodation and travel to the resort Saturday

morning.

I can find hotels in the resort, but most seem to be closed at the moment
(out of season) so booking now is a problem.

Not knowing Geneva airport well (only been once before) is there

reasonably
priced accommodation near by and what sort of prices would we be looking

at?

The cheapest accomodation is on the French side of the airport - only
feasible if you have a car, which seems to be the case. The cheapest and
nearest is probably Formule 1 in Ferney-Voltai
http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...he_hotel.shtml

Alternatively, the Ibis in Archamps is a little more expensive, but is on
the good side of Geneva (and on the motorway) for a fast start in the
morning:
http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...he_hotel.shtml

BTW, if your flight arrives at 9pm, you are looking more at an 11pm arrival
in Grand Bornand by the time you've hired a car and driven up the last
twisty kilometres in the dark.

Old October 5th 04, 08:53 AM
Ash

"Marco Cattaneo" wrote in message
BTW, if your flight arrives at 9pm, you are looking more at an 11pm

arrival
in Grand Bornand by the time you've hired a car and driven up the last
twisty kilometres in the dark.

No car, minibus will be picking us up, as happened this year. The guy was
waiting as we came out of arrivals and five minutes later everything was
loaded up and we were on our way. We were unloading at the apartment within
an hour.

Ash

Old October 7th 04, 10:22 AM
Sarah Eggleston

Marco Cattaneo wrote:

"Ash" wrote in message

[...]

Depending on your budget and luggage, there are some other options for
getting to Ferney Voltaire. It is pretty much walkable, although at
around 45 minutes you wouldn't want to with skis and suitcases.

Old October 8th 04, 08:01 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"Sarah Eggleston" wrote in message
Depending on your budget and luggage, there are some other options for
getting to Ferney Voltaire. It is pretty much walkable, although at
around 45 minutes you wouldn't want to with skis and suitcases.

In fact, you can get to Ferney centre by a combination of (Swiss) bus no. 18
then F (one bus an hour in the evenings), see timetable and maps at
http://www.tpg.ch/ (ask for itinerary from Aeroport to Ferney in the
personalised timetable).

There is a list of hotels in Ferney at
http://www.ferney-voltaire.net/herbergement_an.htm and map at
http://www.cc-pays-de-gex.fr/mairies/ferney/plan.htm. Some hotels are in the
centre near the bus route (e.g. Hotel de France, D7 on the map), others like
Campanile (D4), Formule 1 (D2), and Novotel (D2) are 1-2km from the centre.
The more expensive hotels (Novotel..) have a navette from the airport (there
is also a navette to Holiday Inn in St.Genis-Pouilly)

One peculiarity of Geneva airport is the two exits, one in France and the
other in Switzerland. The 18 bus leaves from the Swiss exit. If you plan to
take a navette service, be sure to check whether it picks up on the French
or Swiss side. Also you should know that, except for French internal
flights, your luggage arrives on the Swiss side. It *is* possible to then go
back to the french side, but it's not simple.

The road from the French exit to Ferney (H3 to G7 on the map) is a narrow
twisty road with no pavements, frequented by crazy hire car employees - I
would definitely not walk it. If you insist on walking, do so on the Swiss
side, as far as the tunnel under the runway (H7 on the map). It's not a
pretty walk, among car parks and motorway slip roads, but at least there is
a pavement.

Old October 11th 04, 08:50 AM
Ash

Sorted now, staying in the Ibis Hotel, next to the Airport £46.00 a room,
plus £6.00 for breakfast.

Ash

Old October 14th 04, 07:09 PM
Clive Perry

"Sarah Eggleston" wrote in message
Depending on your budget and luggage, there are some other options for
getting to Ferney Voltaire. It is pretty much walkable, although at
around 45 minutes you wouldn't want to with skis and suitcases.

Just an aside...........

If you are in Geneva on a Saturday morning and have some time to spare then
Ferney Voltaire has a great French open air market which starts pretty early
and goes on to mid afternoon. Regular buses run from Geneva into Ferney and
back IIRC from our last visit.

Clive