Summer snowmaking in New Hampshire

Old July 29th 03, 04:19 PM
Sam Seiber

Default Summer snowmaking in New Hampshire

Chester Bullock wrote:

Dave Stallard wrote in :
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/20...usiness+.shtml

Read about that last week or the week before. Pretty interesting. I was
actually commenting about it to Jen the other day when we were hiking
down Copper Mountain. Wondering how long it will be until we see them
here in Colorado.

I am not so sure we would see the warm weather snow making in Colorado.
Years ago Copper used to be in the "first to open" race with Loveland
and Keystone. Copper now seems to open more like early November. It
has been a while since I saw Copper open mid/late October. Also with
water rights, and how much water a ski area can use, I would
imagine, they don't want to blow snow until they know most of what
they make would stay around as snow. With the bragging rights/first
to open race pretty well over, I doubt we will see these gizmos.
Related, but restricted to cold weather snow making, who will open
first in Colorado this year? A-Basin or Loveland? If Loveland
can get the 6 Kiwis that they hired last year to get Mambo open, my
$$ is on Loveland. They covered it last year in something like
two and a half weeks. I heard those Kiwis know how to make snow,
and how to best use the limited water they get to use.

On a side note, for some reason I thought it was silly that Copper had a
little display of all the winter equipment at the top of the American
Eagle (the lift they open for free chairlift rides in the summer). They
had the different types of snowguns, a snowmobile, and a snowcat on
display, with signs saying what each thing does. Realized I take these
things for granted, that some people may be freaked out by the appearance
of a snowcat or pipe dragon.

On a side note from me as well, I had my first ski dream of the summer
last night. Trust me, it is a sign there are more to come.

Sam "*About* 12 weeks to the opening of Loveland" Seiber
Old July 29th 03, 05:06 PM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote in
:

Chester Bullock wrote:

Dave Stallard wrote in
:
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/20...usiness+.shtml

Read about that last week or the week before. Pretty interesting. I
was actually commenting about it to Jen the other day when we were
hiking down Copper Mountain. Wondering how long it will be until we
see them here in Colorado.

I am not so sure we would see the warm weather snow making in
Colorado. Years ago Copper used to be in the "first to open" race with
Loveland and Keystone. Copper now seems to open more like early
November. It has been a while since I saw Copper open mid/late
October. Also with water rights, and how much water a ski area can

Wasn't so much wondering about when we will see warm weather snowmaking
(A-Basin is shooting for that at some point I think), so much as it
sounds that this is a new snowmaking technology and I was curious when we
would see it being used here for the standard snowmaking season.

Copper is open at the same time, just not for the public. They host race
camps and such right up to the public opening. Good money to be made
doing that.

--
Chester Bullock,
Tenxible Solutions - Tangible, Flexible
Old July 29th 03, 05:07 PM
Dave Stallard

Sam Seiber wrote:

I am not so sure we would see the warm weather snow making in Colorado.
Years ago Copper used to be in the "first to open" race with Loveland
and Keystone. Copper now seems to open more like early November. It
has been a while since I saw Copper open mid/late October. Also with
water rights, and how much water a ski area can use, I would
imagine, they don't want to blow snow until they know most of what
they make would stay around as snow. With the bragging rights/first
to open race pretty well over, I doubt we will see these gizmos.

FWIW, they consume less water, but more electrical power, than does a
conventional snowmaking apparatus. For obvious reasons: they have to
freeze the water first!

I too doubt they will be hugely popular, but who knows. Ski areas are
constantly trying to make themselves year-round resorts; maybe they will
buy one to cover a half pipe in summer.

Dave
Old July 29th 03, 05:53 PM
Sam Seiber

Default Summer snowmaking in Colorado

Chester Bullock wrote:
Wasn't so much wondering about when we will see warm weather snowmaking
(A-Basin is shooting for that at some point I think), so much as it
sounds that this is a new snowmaking technology and I was curious when we
would see it being used here for the standard snowmaking season.

I would think that warm weather snowmaking would cost much more than
standard snowmaking. The WW snowmaking takes extra enegery to freeze
the water vs. the standard type, where the already existing cold air
does that job. I have a fairly decent idea of how standard snowmaking
works. Generate airflow (via compressed air, or electric fan), pump
in some water, using the airflow to atomize the water. Let the existing
cold air freeze it. But adding in the power costs to freeze the water
before pumping it to the ground, sounds kind of pricey to me. I
just can't see the Colorado resorts going that route. With cheap
season passes, why would a resort add that kind of extra cost to
their operation? Hell, this last season, many areas could have
stayed open a few more weeks, but didn't due to lack of interest.

As far as A-Basin using the WW method, I am not so sure. What I
recall is they were going to lay down a bunch of snow during the
winter on a few runs. Enough to last through the summer.
I guess we should be getting the answer by the end of the year.
By then they should have the system fully installed.

Copper is open at the same time, just not for the public. They host race
camps and such right up to the public opening. Good money to be made
doing that.

Oh, I didn't know that. Well at least we know they are out of the
bragging rights race as far as public skiing is concerned.

--
Chester Bullock,

Old July 29th 03, 06:12 PM
Sam Seiber

Dave Stallard wrote:

Sam Seiber wrote:

FWIW, they consume less water, but more electrical power, than does a
conventional snowmaking apparatus. For obvious reasons: they have to
freeze the water first!

Interesting point. It makes sense that if the water is frozen before
you blow it, there is much less water loss due to evaporation.
Since water is such a sticky point here in Colorado, that could
be an advantage. This is leading to the business part of ski
area operations. Cost of power/availability of water rights
vs how much $$ it will bring back in.

I too doubt they will be hugely popular, but who knows. Ski areas are
constantly trying to make themselves year-round resorts; maybe they will
buy one to cover a half pipe in summer.

Dave

Screw the boarders. Make me one smooth green groomer. Right now
all of the ski runs are green......with vegetation. OK, I admit,
the Denver heat is getting to me. I miss the need for a coat.

MANTRA
Just 12 weeks to go.
Just 12 weeks to go.
Old July 29th 03, 08:08 PM
Walt

Chester Bullock wrote:

Wasn't so much wondering about when we will see warm weather snowmaking
(A-Basin is shooting for that at some point I think), so much as it
sounds that this is a new snowmaking technology and I was curious when we
would see it being used here for the standard snowmaking season.

I don't know that you'll ever see it during stardard snowmaking season.
Standard snowmaking techniques work just fine during standard snowmaking
season; I don't see the point in using this technique if the weather's
cold enough to do it the conventional way.

I also don't see really warm weather snowmaking taking off - aside
from a publicity stunt or a small, crowded half-pipe/terrain park it's
just not economically feasible.

I do see the technology being used to tack on an extra month or so at
the beginning of the season; if the resorts can make snow once nighttime
temperatures drop into the thirties (instead of having to wait until it
drops into the twenties) they can get things up and running earlier.

I would also like to take this opportunity to write a few more
paragraphs that start with the word "I".

I rest my case.

I remain,

--
//-Walt
//
Old July 29th 03, 09:35 PM
Sam Seiber

Walt wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

[...]

I just want to say how much
I agree with you.
I think we should now go out and drink beer.

Sam "I ski Loveland" Seiber
Old July 30th 03, 12:36 AM
Sven Golly

Sam Seiber wrote in
:

I just want to say how much
I agree with you.
I think we should now go out and drink beer.

I say aye, aye captain,we see eye-to-eye.

--
Sven Golly
Trolling as usual
Old August 6th 03, 01:16 AM
ant

Summer snowmaking?! Now I've heard everything.
Down here in Australia we have been recovering from a series of dumps.
And one is happening now (I'm taking the week off, have been teaching
every day since late June). Got some incredible skiing last week
during a 2 day monster, it was waist deep in the windblown areas. this
rarely happens down here. even if it doesn't snow again, we are set
until spring. Fortunately, more is falling and the fronts are stacking
up to our south west.
But we don't have summer snowmaking!

ant
Old August 6th 03, 01:42 AM
Walt

ant wrote:
Summer snowmaking?! Now I've heard everything.
Down here in Australia we have been recovering from a series of dumps.
And one is happening now (I'm taking the week off, have been teaching
every day since late June). Got some incredible skiing last week
during a 2 day monster, it was waist deep in the windblown areas. this
rarely happens down here. even if it doesn't snow again, we are set
until spring. Fortunately, more is falling and the fronts are stacking
up to our south west.
But we don't have summer snowmaking!

Of course not, you don't need it. Here it is the middle of
summer, and you're getting *dumped on* with the natural
stuff. (c:

-Walt