Learning the Pipe

Old December 22nd 03, 04:32 PM
pluvious

Default Learning the Pipe

I plan on learning the half-pipe this winter and would be interested
in any advice as to how to best accomplish this without busting every
bone in my 40 year old body. Are there good ways to practice, er what?
Any time tested nuggets of wisdom anybody would like to share with a
pipe newbie?

Much appreciated....
Old December 22nd 03, 07:01 PM
Lewis Barclay

"pluvious" wrote in message
m...
I plan on learning the half-pipe this winter and would be interested
in any advice as to how to best accomplish this without busting every
bone in my 40 year old body. Are there good ways to practice, er what?
Any time tested nuggets of wisdom anybody would like to share with a
pipe newbie?

Much appreciated...

dont fall over )

Old December 22nd 03, 10:17 PM
Matty Anderson

Be very comfortable with frontside and backside 180's (or at least 90's)
just so you can get yourself pointing back down the slope without carving or
sliding through the turn. The whole point of the pipe is to be in the air
part of the time, so it makes no sense to just slalom through. I taught my
girlfriend like this (and without getting into a fight-miracle!). Just ride
comfortably up the side, keep yourself centered over the board. When you
feel your forward speed coming to an end, just do a little 90 degree hop to
turn yourself back down to the center. Ride up the other side, repeat. Do
that for a few runs, and you'll find yourself reaching higher on the wall as
you gain confidence and the feel for having your body horizontal to the
ground.

Just don't go for over the lip stuff and grabs on the first day.

Best of luck,
Matty

m...

Old December 23rd 03, 09:18 AM
Baka Dasai

On 22 Dec 2003 08:32:46 -0800, pluvious said (and I quote):
I plan on learning the half-pipe this winter and would be interested
in any advice as to how to best accomplish this without busting every
bone in my 40 year old body. Are there good ways to practice, er what?
Any time tested nuggets of wisdom anybody would like to share with a
pipe newbie?

Arvin Chang wrote a nice guide for the pipe last season. See it he
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...g .google.com

Reading it gave me the inspiration to seriously try the pipe for the
first time, and I found his advice easy to understand and follow. I
was riding my normal hardboot/alpine board setup, and carving across
the base of the pipe was second-nature to me, which meant that I was
able to hold all my speed, which meant that I was consistently
getting above the lip, which scared the **** out of me to be honest.

Fun though.
--
A: Top-posters.
Q: What's the most annoying thing on usenet?
Old December 23rd 03, 03:14 PM
ing. A. Kleibeuker

Default Another Question about the halfpipe

Reading the interesting stuff a question pops up in my mind.

When riding the flat zone towards the wall do I carve backside or
frontside. (My frontside is downhill backside is Uphill)?

m...

Old December 23rd 03, 04:08 PM
Jules de chez Schmit d'en face

"Baka Dasai" a écrit dans le message de
news:slrnbug235.hhp.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net...
On 22 Dec 2003 08:32:46 -0800, pluvious said (and I quote):
I plan on learning the half-pipe this winter and would be interested
in any advice as to how to best accomplish this without busting every
bone in my 40 year old body. Are there good ways to practice, er what?
Any time tested nuggets of wisdom anybody would like to share with a
pipe newbie?

Arvin Chang wrote a nice guide for the pipe last season. See it he

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...g .google.com

Good advice. I would emphasize
"In the beginning, try to go up the wall
at around a 45-60 degree angle (the optimal angle varies based on the
pipe and the rider's personal perference - just don't try to go
straight up the wall)."

Besides, I was told that when you land in the pipe, you should have a 30-45
degree angle (so even less vertical than when you go up) so as
to gain speed for the next jump.

Other point :
"When you land, you want to land immediately on what "was"
your downhill edge and carve straight at the next wall."

My instructor taught me the opposite way... maybe someone could
confirm (or not)...

Old December 23rd 03, 06:54 PM
Neil Gendzwill

" ing. A. Kleibeuker" wrote in message ...
Reading the interesting stuff a question pops up in my mind.

When riding the flat zone towards the wall do I carve backside or
frontside. (My frontside is downhill backside is Uphill)?

As you cross the bottom on your way to either wall, you should be on
your uphill edge, which means toeside as you approach the frontside
wall and heelside as you approach the backside wall.

Just to get the terminology straight: when you riding towards a wall
and facing uphill, you are approaching the frontside wall, when riding
facing downhill you are approaching the backside wall. On the
frontside wall, the natural turn (the one thats takes you downhill) is
a frontside turn in skate/surf terminology, ie one where your front
faces the lip as you turn. So for regular footers, frontside is the
right wall as you face down the pipe and a frontside air is one where
you are rotating left (counter-clockwise), backside is the left wall
and backside air is rotating right. If you rotate the opposite way,
you will be doing the opposite air but you'll tend to drift downhill
(this is called an alley-oop) due to the incline of the pipe. eg if
as a regular footer you approach the right wall and then rotate right,
you will be doing a backside alley-oop (rotating right but drifting
left) on the frontside wall. Clear as mud?

Neil
Old December 24th 03, 05:19 AM
Arvin Chang

"Jules de chez Schmit d'en face" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well I can't really confirm my own post This was a surprising thing
that was told to me by High Cascade Snowboard Camp instructor James
Jackson. Basically the idea is that if you land on your uphill edge or
even flatboard you are going to skid/slide a little down the wall as
you are slightly resisting the pull of gravity that skidding/sliding
is lost speed. If you immediately go onto your downhill edge, you
carve with the pull of gravity and maintain your momentum/speed. The
main drawback of this is that if you stick in your downhill edge
without getting your body positioning right, you risk catching an
edge. What did your instructor say to explain why you should land on
your uphill edge?

--Arvin
Old December 31st 03, 10:30 PM
Rob.

"Arvin Chang" wrote in message
om...
"Jules de chez Schmit d'en face" wrote in message

"Baka Dasai" a écrit dans le message de
news:slrnbug235.hhp.idontreadthis@yahoobb220004112 021.bbtec.net...
On 22 Dec 2003 08:32:46 -0800, pluvious said (and I quote):
I plan on learning the half-pipe this winter and would be interested
in any advice as to how to best accomplish this without busting

every
bone in my 40 year old body. Are there good ways to practice, er

what?
Any time tested nuggets of wisdom anybody would like to share with a
pipe newbie?

Well I'm not much younger than you and I spent most of last season in the
half pipe (much of it on my head/arse etc.) so I thought I'd give you my 2p
worth:

I found the most difficult part was getting any sort of rhythm. After
several attempts carving/skidding up and down the walls I tried a different
technique. Firstly, just try going into the pipe at a fairly slow speed.
Each time you stop going up the wall, do a jump turn (180 degrees). The idea
is to get the feeling of when to jump. It's quite hard work as you're nearly
horizontal. The next thing I did was to try the exercise in Todd Richard's
video (park & pipe basics) which basically means doing the pipe without
turning (both facing uphill and downhill). I found it was a lot easier to
get higher in the pipe without having to worry about the jump. Once you're
happy with this, go back to the jump turns, but gradually go higher and
higher.

As far as which edge to land on, I see a lot of people taking off on the
uphill edge and landing on the *same* edge, especially if the turn is only
90 degrees or so. Personally I find it much easier to switch edges on the
jump (and that's what the vid says).

Best of luck!

Rob.