Vail vs Courchevel?

Old September 11th 03, 06:56 PM
OswCar

Default Vail vs Courchevel?

Hi,
We are a group of 8 persons that are planning to go to ski next 17th
of January for a week.
We have been in Vail, so we decided to go to Courchevel to visit a new
place for us, but after reading some posts that talks about the icy
and lack of snow in Courchevel, we now have doubts about going there.
The ski and after ski in Vail is excellent and we don't want to be in
Courchevel thinking about how good was Vail. If you were us, Would
you try Vail again or you would choose Courchevel?

Are the snow conditions for mid january in Courchevel as good as Vail?

Would you go to some other resort?

We are intermediate skiers.

Thanks.
Old September 11th 03, 07:40 PM
Richard Henry

"OswCar" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
We are a group of 8 persons that are planning to go to ski next 17th
of January for a week.
We have been in Vail, so we decided to go to Courchevel to visit a new
place for us, but after reading some posts that talks about the icy
and lack of snow in Courchevel, we now have doubts about going there.
The ski and after ski in Vail is excellent and we don't want to be in
Courchevel thinking about how good was Vail. If you were us, Would
you try Vail again or you would choose Courchevel?

Vail. Definitely Vail. All the serious skiers will recommend Vail.

Are the snow conditions for mid january in Courchevel as good as Vail?

No.

Would you go to some other resort?

No. Stay at Vail.

We are intermediate skiers.

Definitely Vail, then.

Old September 11th 03, 08:06 PM
David Off

Richard Henry wrote:

We are intermediate skiers.

Definitely Vail, then.

As someone who skis in Courchevel every season I would say, Vail!

Seriously, Courchevel / les Trois Vallees is big... but you are
intermediates, why go all that way when you won't make use of the
terrain? You will also find Courchevel, at least the 1850 part, eye
wateringly expensive. The cheap hotel where I stay in 1850 is 120
dollars a night, eating out is easily 50 dollars per head. A beer is 8
dollars.

Old September 11th 03, 08:28 PM
lal_truckee

OswCar wrote:

Hi,
We are a group of 8 persons that are planning to go to ski next 17th
of January for a week.
We have been in Vail, so we decided to go to Courchevel to visit a new
place for us, but after reading some posts that talks about the icy
and lack of snow in Courchevel, we now have doubts about going there.
The ski and after ski in Vail is excellent and we don't want to be in
Courchevel thinking about how good was Vail. If you were us, Would
you try Vail again or you would choose Courchevel?

Where are you starting from? Travel costs and time make a difference in
planning a ski trip.

Vail is not the only good ski resort in N America. It's not even in the
top 10 if excellent skiing was the draw, although lots of vacationers
like its "ambiance". For example Whistler in Canada or Heavenly in
California fit your interests of guarenteed good January snow, lots of
intermediate terrain, and good apres ski; and they surpass Vail in every
measure known except expense.

Are the snow conditions for mid january in Courchevel as good as Vail?

The Alps have had some difficult years recently - maybe they're due a
good year? I have no way to predict.

Old September 11th 03, 09:37 PM
Paul Christofanelli

:
: Vail is not the only good ski resort in N America. It's not even in the
: top 10 if excellent skiing was the draw, although lots of vacationers
: like its "ambiance". For example Whistler in Canada or Heavenly in
: California fit your interests of guarenteed good January snow, lots of
: intermediate terrain, and good apres ski; and they surpass Vail in every
: measure known except expense.

My, my, Vail surely does bring out the strong feelings. IMHO, for
intermediates, Vail is tough to beat if you don't mind some of the added
expense. It's *made* for intermediates. Surely, Whistler is a more
interesting mountain for skiers who want excitement (and there's a lot
of intermediate terrain), but it can RAIN (with a capital R) in January
at Whistler. You have virtually zero chance of rain at Vail in January,
and although snow depth isn't usually anything to write home about then,
it's sufficient. Now Heavenly is on much more equal footing, I'd say,
as far as type of mountain, in general. Plus it has stuff you won't
find at Vail, and there's that gambling thing. But believe it or not,
some people find the "Vail Experience" (ersatz Teutonic village and all)
to be to their liking. And more power to 'em ... that's great ...
keep them tourist dollars flowing. Personally, I haven't skied Vail for
probably 4 years because it's not worth the extra overhead to me, but I
do enjoy it when I'm there, especially the (again, sort of high
intermediate tilted) Back Bowls. And you have Beaver Creek to check
out.

You could try Jackson Hole...but bring your electrically heated
everything in January :-). The intermediate stuff is there,
but it's not real 'friendly' intermediate.

Oh yeah...Vail vs. Courchevel? Well I've never skied in France,
so I guess I'd give that a shot. It's a crap shoot anyway. But
the prices sound even a bit higher than the big V. Probably
better food, though.

Hope it snows wherever you go!

-Paul C.
Old September 11th 03, 09:59 PM
lal_truckee

Paul Christofanelli wrote:

You could try Jackson Hole...but bring your electrically heated
everything in January :-). The intermediate stuff is there,
but it's not real 'friendly' intermediate.

Well, I like Jackson.

But I wouldn't recommend it to the self described apres ski seeking
intermediates who originally posted ...

And it can be chilly, unloading the tram up on that exposed catwalk
during a -10deg F blizzard ...

And it's a bit of a pain to get to - small airport and all.

And the Mangy Moose isn't much apres ski.

Jackson does have VERY cheap lodging, tho -

Old September 12th 03, 12:17 AM
Hank Sniadoch

Vail is the best. Half of Vail is for intermediates and the other half is
bowls and the Blue Sky Basin which is ungroomed. Make no mistake, Vail has
it all.

Old September 12th 03, 07:50 AM
InMyTree

Courchevel is part of a huge ski area.. you can ski Val Thorens which goes
up to over 3000m.. so you're going to get good snow conditions in mid
January, no doubt about it.. however, I've skiied about 6 resorts in Italy,
Switzerland and France and none of them really compared to my north american
ski experience..

Old September 12th 03, 11:06 AM
Jonathan Gogan

"David
You will also find Courchevel, at least the 1850 part, eye
wateringly expensive.

Ah.
But you can see as many 'mature' ladies in fur coats and sunspecs
carring obliatory little dog/rabbits as you can stand GRATIS/FREE
no charge!

--

Jonathan