Wide (High Volume foot) Classic boot recommendation?

Old February 21st 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Wide (High Volume foot) Classic boot recommendation?

I am getting a new pair of classic skis.

I have a very wide, high arch foot, and have had a lot of
trouble in the past with boot fitting.

I currently use old Fischer Centrix Skate boots on my classic
skis, but classic skiing puts an undue strain on the boots.

What brand should I look at? Salomon always hurt my feet.
Fischer started making their boots with narrower lasts.

Are Alpina boots still relatively wide?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)
Old February 22nd 13, 03:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
gene

I have high arches and like the Fischer combi boot (NNN) for classic (RC5?). Hartjes also is built for high arches, tho I didn't like the fit years ago (SNS). And Atomic has always been known for lots of room.

Gene

P.S. Looks like my ISP's newsgroup vendor just eliminated rec.skiing.nordic, so it'll be life from google groups.
Old February 22nd 13, 04:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:14:48 -0800 (PST)
gene wrote:

I have high arches and like the Fischer combi boot (NNN) for classic
(RC5?). Hartjes also is built for high arches, tho I didn't like the
fit years ago (SNS). And Atomic has always been known for lots of
room.

Gene

P.S. Looks like my ISP's newsgroup vendor just eliminated
rec.skiing.nordic, so it'll be life from google groups.

You might also check the Alpina racing classic, which I really like
for groomed area skiing. Since it has remained very popular on the WC
circuit, I imagine it takes a wide variety of feet. I had all my
bunions chopped off a few years ago, so I can't really tell you
about width.

Gene
Old February 23rd 13, 02:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

"gene" == gene writes:

gene I have high arches and like the Fischer combi boot (NNN) for
gene classic (RC5?). Hartjes also is built for high arches, tho I
gene didn't like the fit years ago (SNS). And Atomic has always
gene been known for lots of room.

gene Gene

gene P.S. Looks like my ISP's newsgroup vendor just eliminated
gene rec.skiing.nordic, so it'll be life from google groups.

I went up to Waterville Valley Nordic today, and they said that
Atomics were now the widest. They had a pair of Atomic combi boots
that fit beautifully, so I ordered the same size on line in a pure
classic boot.

They also told me that next year Atomic is going to introduce boots
in different widths. I emailed an Atomic rep to get confirmation.

That would be great! We have lost all our good shops in the Boston
area, which means a lot of hit and miss and returns for gear.

Thank goodness Eagle River Nordic fits skis well.

OT.
I just got a pair of Tele boots delivered that were mislabeled. They
were supposedly Mondo 28, but there were really more like 26 (a 8-9
sized shell, rather than the 10-11 that Mondo 28 requires). A real
drag. My foot still hurts from just trying to put on one of them.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old February 23rd 13, 03:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David L. Webb

In article ,
wrote:

I am getting a new pair of classic skis.

I have a very wide, high arch foot, and have had a lot of
trouble in the past with boot fitting.

I currently use old Fischer Centrix Skate boots on my classic
skis, but classic skiing puts an undue strain on the boots.

What brand should I look at? Salomon always hurt my feet.
Fischer started making their boots with narrower lasts.

Are Alpina boots still relatively wide?

Yes. You might also want to try Hartjes, which are extra roomy in
the toe box. Their only problem is durability -- they don't seem to
hold up nearly as well as my ancient Salomon boots.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old February 23rd 13, 02:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

"Andrew" == writes:

Andrew They also told me that next year Atomic is going to
Andrew introduce boots in different widths. I emailed an Atomic
Andrew rep to get confirmation.

The rep confirmed the widths in Atomic boots next year! Hooray!

Might be good for folks with narrow feet too, but then again they
have Salomon.

ah