Stolen skis

Old January 25th 05, 02:46 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Nick Hounsome :
No but it seems like a lot to not be woken up by a fire that is never going
to happen.

It'll never happen to me! It'll never happen to me!

BANG!

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 26th 05, 06:52 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Nick Hounsome :
No but it seems like a lot to not be woken up by a fire that is never
going
to happen.

It'll never happen to me! It'll never happen to me!

BANG!

Typical Welsh pessimist! :-)

Old January 26th 05, 09:12 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Nick Hounsome :
Typical Welsh pessimist! :-)

Heh you don't live in an ex-Welsh holiday home I'm just hoping that
Meibion Glyndwr know our house is not a holiday home anymore!

Adrian

Old January 26th 05, 01:03 PM
Steve Haigh

Sammy wrote:
Don't lock your skis up, swap them or spend all lunch time fretting
about them.
Otherwise we will all have to follow suit with ever escalating levels
of security and the thieving scum will have won.

Whatever. I'll be locking mine thanks.

People will be asking for CCTV on the mountains next...

It already exists in several places I've been to.
Old January 26th 05, 01:09 PM
Steve Haigh

Champ wrote:

Actually, that's not my argument at all :-)

My dislike of smoke alarms is based on the fact that they go off if
you make toast or grill pretty much anything with fat in it. So, I
balance the absolute certainty that they will **** me off against the
very small outside chance that they will save my life, and decide
against fitting them.

So don't put one in or near the kitchen then. Is it that difficult? The
logical place for smoke alarms in a house is upstairs on the landing. Or
do you perhaps burn your food in the bedroom?

A friend of mine who is a fire fighter also recommend putting one in the
living room, in her experience a lot of house fires start there apparently.

Old January 26th 05, 02:57 PM
Champ

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:09:41 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

Champ wrote:

Actually, that's not my argument at all :-)

My dislike of smoke alarms is based on the fact that they go off if
you make toast or grill pretty much anything with fat in it. So, I
balance the absolute certainty that they will **** me off against the
very small outside chance that they will save my life, and decide
against fitting them.

So don't put one in or near the kitchen then. Is it that difficult? The
logical place for smoke alarms in a house is upstairs on the landing. Or
do you perhaps burn your food in the bedroom?

My experience is that they go off wherever in the house you put them
(Note - not my house, I won't have them). And, as kitchens seem to be
a prime place for fires to start, recommending not fitting them there
seems a bit odd.

A friend of mine who is a fire fighter also recommend putting one in the
living room, in her experience a lot of house fires start there apparently.

Most people's living rooms are a couple of yards from their kitchen.
I'm sure you've witnessed the
kitchen-door-shut-and-all-the-windows-open situation to avoid setting
the smoke alarm off in the living room/hall/landing/wherever.
--
Champ
Old January 26th 05, 04:14 PM
Steve Haigh

wrote:

Champ wrote:

Actually, that's not my argument at all :-)

My dislike of smoke alarms is based on the fact that they go off if
you make toast or grill pretty much anything with fat in it. So, I
balance the absolute certainty that they will **** me off against the
very small outside chance that they will save my life, and decide
against fitting them.

So don't put one in or near the kitchen then. Is it that difficult? The
logical place for smoke alarms in a house is upstairs on the landing. Or
do you perhaps burn your food in the bedroom?

My experience is that they go off wherever in the house you put them
(Note - not my house, I won't have them). And, as kitchens seem to be
a prime place for fires to start, recommending not fitting them there
seems a bit odd.

No, it's perfectly reasonable for exactly the reasons you gave -
toasters, grills, burnt food etc all set of smoke alarms, so don't put
them in a kitchen. Not just my advice, not even just the advice of my
friend the fire fighter but also the advice of Fire Safety Advice Centre
and plenty of othre places too (I think the instructions with the alaram
also said not to put it in the kitchen)

A friend of mine who is a fire fighter also recommend putting one in the
living room, in her experience a lot of house fires start there apparently.

Most people's living rooms are a couple of yards from their kitchen.
I'm sure you've witnessed the
kitchen-door-shut-and-all-the-windows-open situation to avoid setting
the smoke alarm off in the living room/hall/landing/wherever.

Well, yes, the smoke alarm did go off when the toaster caught fire.
Pretty much as expected. I agree that you will get a lot of false alarms
if the detector is too close to the kitchen, so how about fitting one
onthe landing instead? If you are getting a lot of smoke there you
probably need a new toaster. The alarm on our landing has never gone off
in the 3 years it's been there.

Your objection to smoke alarms seems rather bizare. I've just got back
from a long weekend with a friend who's house burnt down recently.
Suffice it to say that after hearing his story I've just checked the
smoke alarms in my house.

Of course it's entirely up to you, but your equation just doesn't ring
true to me - I'd like to keep all the odds stacked in my favour so even
if fitting a smoke alarm only increases my chance of living a full life
by a tiny amount I'm happy to fork out the few quid and close the
kitchen door when I burn the toast. According to the BBC website there
were over 58,000 house fires resulting in 400 deaths in the UK in 1999,
so if my house ever becomes one of the 58,000 I'd rather know about it
before I die in my sleep.
Old January 26th 05, 04:39 PM
Sammy

Steve Haigh wrote:
Sammy wrote:
Don't lock your skis up, swap them or spend all lunch time fretting
about them.
Otherwise we will all have to follow suit with ever escalating

levels
of security and the thieving scum will have won.

Whatever. I'll be locking mine thanks.

I hope you take spare locks with you for your friends or anyone else
you're skiing with that particular day :-)

People will be asking for CCTV on the mountains next...

It already exists in several places I've been to.

You're kidding - where? Do they keep tapes or just have some live
cameras pointed at ski racks outside restaurants?

Sammy

Old January 26th 05, 05:53 PM
Steve Haigh

Sammy wrote:
Steve Haigh wrote:

Sammy wrote:

Don't lock your skis up, swap them or spend all lunch time fretting
about them.
Otherwise we will all have to follow suit with ever escalating

levels

of security and the thieving scum will have won.

Whatever. I'll be locking mine thanks.

I hope you take spare locks with you for your friends or anyone else
you're skiing with that particular day :-)

No, they can buy their own or take a chance.

People will be asking for CCTV on the mountains next...

It already exists in several places I've been to.

You're kidding - where? Do they keep tapes or just have some live
cameras pointed at ski racks outside restaurants?

Don't recall the name, but the larger restaurants on Whistler and
Blackcomb for sure, one or two other places as well, but I can't recal
where (Jackon Hole I think, could be wrong tho). I've no idea what they
do with the tapes exactly but I've seen the cameras and been told by an
employee (in the case of Whistler this is) that they are used by the
police to investigate ski theft.

BTW, do you own a car? If so, have you told the insurance company that
you won't be locking it or using an alarm? You probably should, it might
affect your premium.
Old January 26th 05, 06:29 PM
Sammy

So by locking your skis while your friends leave theirs unlocked, you
are directly increasing the risk that their skis would be stolen.
Nice! It's a bit like an infantry soldier ducking down to tie his
shoelaces just as the first rounds come in - effective for you, but not
very honourable.

Jackson/Whistler: No wonder lift tickets are more expensive in North
America. I assume you'll welcome this being introduced in Europe,
otherwise what is your point?

talking about? Of course I lock my car and I have already (in this
thread) made the observation that you *have* to lock up your bike on a
street in London if you don't want it stolen. Yours is a straw-man
argument (and a crap one at that).

My point is simple: you can normally leave your skis outside a
restaurant on the mountain in full confidence that they will be there
when you return, a civilised aspect of skiing *that is worth
preserving*. As soon as some of us break ranks, to continue the
soldiering analogy, we will *all* inevitably have to carry locks and
faff around locking our kit down every time we leave it unattended.
Then the thieves will come with wire-cutters...

Sammy