Stolen skis

Old January 20th 05, 05:58 PM
Simon Brown

"Jorg" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:06:02 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

"Nick Hounsome" wrote in message

That's not likely to stop them being stolen (certainly not in a ski by
theft) and the thief is hardly likely to bring them back if he sees

that
they are no good to him.

The reason is that this was recommended to me by my local ski shop. Here
it's mainly expensive snowboards which get stolen, happens quite

frequently
or so I hear.

From my experience, I reckon your local ski shop is not the Intersport
one in Flims, is it

Laax - ex-Foppa sport.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old January 20th 05, 08:27 PM
Jorg

wrote:

"Nick Hounsome" wrote in message

That's not likely to stop them being stolen (certainly not in a ski by
theft) and the thief is hardly likely to bring them back if he sees

that
they are no good to him.

The reason is that this was recommended to me by my local ski shop. Here
it's mainly expensive snowboards which get stolen, happens quite

frequently
or so I hear.

From my experience, I reckon your local ski shop is not the Intersport
one in Flims, is it

Laax - ex-Foppa sport.

Aha Long ago the intersport ones gave me the worst rentals I
remember.
Well ok, off to Zermatt in 1,5 weeks- and no rentals needed this time:
lets see..0
Old January 21st 05, 07:38 AM
Ian Spare

Ace wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:36:56 +0100, Ian Spare
wrote:

Even a totaly cretinous theif isn't going to be fooled by this. If you
wanted to nick some skis you just need to sit around, wait for the pair
you want to be parked, split or not, watch the owner go out of sight and
take them.

Well yes, but it must offer a degree of protection, especially if it's
busy - the tea-leaf's only got one pair of eyes, and as someone else
pointed out he'll be going for the esier target.

If you assume the theif has a couple more IQ points than required for
purely automatic responses then you might think they could have an
accomplice.

Splitting the skis as a detterent is easily negated if the theif and his
mate are already at the restaurant when you arrive. And some people
make such a song and dance about it that there's no one on the mountain
that doesn't know where the skis are anyway.

It's disappointing that restaurants and lift companies don't do more
about this in the form of providing secure sotrage for skis. It'd not be
very difficult to do.
Old January 21st 05, 08:29 AM
.

French scummbags.
Same for the lift operators
Same for the piste basher drivers
They don't like working in the week but when the weekend comes along with
all the locals, it's a different story.

"DMG" wrote in message
Just come back from Les Gets where my skis and poles were stolen from
outside a restaurant near the top of a mountain while I was having lunch.

waited around for 2 hrs to see if they had been taken by accident but they
didn't re-appear. (My poles were fairly unique carbon composite ones so

not
easy to take by mistake.) Two points:

How do they do it? I mean, how did the thief get up there (crappy old

skis
maybe) and why bother? Wouldn't it be easier to steal them lower down or

in
the resort?

The lift operators wouldn't let me hitch a lift down; I had to walk and

that
was a real pain. Took me 4 hrs in total to get back.

Anyway, now I have to buy those new skis I was thinking about!

Old January 21st 05, 04:02 PM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
PG wrote:
"Simon Brown" wrote in message
| "Steve Haigh" wrote in message

| I write my name on my skis with a big thick indelible marker.
| --

Acetone, alcohol, lemon juice, are effective erasers - or so I hear....

So's a thumbnail, doesn't make much difference if the ink's indelible or
not. I've written on my skis but it's easy to scratch it off.

best to get the chisel out and scratch it into the ski then

Paul

Old January 21st 05, 04:05 PM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"KMM" wrote in message

"Ace" wrote in message

I must say, though (or repeat, as I think I said this quite recently)
that theft of skis is incredibly rare. In all the group skiing I've
done I've not been with any member who's had their gear nicked.

I agree with your experience. Not once in over 20 years skiing have I

known
anyone in my party to have their skis stolen on the mountain. What I do

have
is knowledge of is breakins to boot rooms at the back of hotels etc. Not

my
own kit but even then I can only cite 2 instances where friends have lost
skis this way.

I heard of skiis going missing from the ski storage at the chalet where we
stayed last year and are going back next week. Im going to lock mine up just
incase.

Paul

Old January 21st 05, 08:52 PM
David Gibbon

I had a new snowboard stolen whilst in the top restaurant at Pra Loup. We'd
caught the last lift up and were having a quick vin chaud to help us our
way. I was the last to come out of the restaurant at 4.45pm thinking someone
had hidden it for a laugh, (yeah, ahem!). Looked all around, 'perhaps it had
fallen over and gone hurtling down the piste on it's own'.... Eventually
persuaded the lift operator to let me return in the 'closed but still
moving' 2 man bubble while the others skied. Half way down on the deserted
lift it stopped and I was in there, stationery, watching the sun dropping
behind the mountains, for a least 20 minutes, seemed like hours, no mobile,
etc etc. Oh what fun! not.
Still...Pra Loup...half price ski resort...and more dutch than you can shake
a .....

"DMG" wrote in message
Just come back from Les Gets where my skis and poles were stolen from
outside a restaurant near the top of a mountain while I was having lunch.
I waited around for 2 hrs to see if they had been taken by accident but

Old January 23rd 05, 08:50 PM

Allo,
Would you recommend any of these 'locking devices'? I've seen such a
thingi made by Safeman and by Abus... Maybe there was a test of such
devices in any skiing magazine? Or have any of you used such thing?
TA
Old January 23rd 05, 09:54 PM
pete devlin

In message , KMM writes
A wee tip for you. If skiing with someone, swap one of their skis over
so that you stack both pairs with an odd one. Then you should place
your skis apart, opposite ends of the restaurant area etc..

A thief will not bother if he finds two odd skis stacked and certainly
wont spend time looking for the other one amongst the dozens usually
found outside restaurants.

I bet your granny sucks a mean egg!
This year I saw the swapped ski method fail leaving two angry people
with one useless ski each. Fortunately the thief realised his mistake
within 100yds and we found the discarded skis the next morning. Any
further and they would never have been found.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old January 23rd 05, 11:20 PM
Sammy

Don't lock your skis up, swap them or spend all lunch time fretting
about them.
Otherwise we will all have to follow suit with ever escalating levels
of security and the thieving scum will have won.
People will be asking for CCTV on the mountains next...

Sammy