Crossover and Crossunder

Old May 9th 05, 11:49 AM
ant

vern93 wrote:
In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

vern93 wrote:

"ant" wrote:

vern93 wrote:

Well, if you mean that in the "why in the frick would I want to
go see 'Titanic' again, wasn't the first time painful enough?"
sort of way,

You saw Titanic?!

If you wanted to sleep with a 23 y.o. circa 1997, you HAD to see
"Titanic." I used to suggest we go at the 8pm showing on Fridays
and show up 5 minutes before showtime. "Sold out? Damn. Want to

Jesus, that's sick. Nearly as bad as "You made out during
'Schindler's List'???!!!"

Ouch, I went to see "Schindler's List" after working 30 hours
straight. (and trying to be a good husband who went to movies with
his wife with other couples on Friday nights) I tried to stay awake,
but when I fell asleep they were making pots and pans and when I woke
up, they were making bullets. Did I miss anything important?

I dunno, I haven't seen it either... Did read the book though, at school.
Only it was called Schindler's Ark then. I think they put in the List as a
sneaky tie-in sponsorship deal with that elevator company, Schindler Lifts.

ant

Old May 9th 05, 11:54 AM
ant

tm wrote:
9 hours to go
with Dean Koontz and whatever small bottles i can pry from the
miserably unhappy hands of the flying waitressess.

You think THAT'S bad. I hopped on a cross pacific flight many years ago,
equipped with what I thought would be an easy-reading Aeroplane Book. it was
Jeffrey Archer. I'd never read Jeffrey Archer but he was a politician and
his books were popular so I assumed they'd be good, or at least enjoyable.

Ye gods. The book was clearly written by a drunken chimpanzee and translated
by a very old and miserable computer. I didn't get very far, it was
actually unreadable. The "hero" and some russian woman were rooting each
other by about page 9 and the whole thing was ghastly. Luckily I was
flying JAL and they loved giving me gin and tonics.

ant

Old May 9th 05, 12:59 PM
pigo

"vern93" wrote in message
In article ,
"ant" wrote:

vern93 wrote:

Well, if you mean that in the "why in the frick would I want to
go see
'Titanic' again, wasn't the first time painful enough?" sort of
way,

You saw Titanic?!

If you wanted to sleep with a 23 y.o. circa 1997, you HAD to see
"Titanic." I used to suggest we go at the 8pm showing on Fridays
and
show up 5 minutes before showtime. "Sold out? Damn. Want to go
back
to my place? I think I have it on DVD."

That's pretty funny. Because I was and I did. Except for the 8:00
thing.

Old May 9th 05, 01:32 PM
Walt

ant wrote:

tm wrote:

9 hours to go
with Dean Koontz and whatever small bottles i can pry from the
miserably unhappy hands of the flying waitressess.

You think THAT'S bad. I hopped on a cross pacific flight many years ago,
equipped with what I thought would be an easy-reading Aeroplane Book. it was
Jeffrey Archer... Ye gods. The book was clearly written by a drunken chimpanzee...

Eye of Argon by Jim Theis. There is no worse writing anywhere. It
simply has to be read to be believed.

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive
barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust
forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers
vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his
saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust
with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/SF-Archives...e_Of_The_Argon

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 9th 05, 06:49 PM
lal_truckee

ant wrote:

You think THAT'S bad. I hopped on a cross pacific flight many years ago

You think THAT'S bad?! I can top that -

I was forced to ski in 6-10 inches of freshies all morning. It was
wonderful, my life flashed before my eyes, my soul was transfigured, and
I used *Crossunder Technique* like there was no tomorrow.

But of course there is a tomorrow, which will be even better; with many
of the pros already moved on to their summer jobs, the patrol wasn't
able to do avi control on the whole mountain this morning, so most of
the mountain is waiting for me on the morrow in all its untracked
magnificence.

See you there?

Old May 9th 05, 07:17 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
ant wrote:

You think THAT'S bad. I hopped on a cross pacific flight many years ago

You think THAT'S bad?! I can top that -

Ha! That's nothing. I was stuck in an office with at least 6 months to
go til ski season when I was subjected to this little literarry gem:

[...]

Bite me.

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 9th 05, 08:04 PM
vern93

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

ant wrote:

You think THAT'S bad. I hopped on a cross pacific flight many years ago

You think THAT'S bad?! I can top that -

I was forced to ski in 6-10 inches of freshies all morning. It was
wonderful, my life flashed before my eyes, my soul was transfigured, and
I used *Crossunder Technique* like there was no tomorrow.

You used the *Crossunder Technique* ? Dude! if you're going to ski
*Crossunder Technique* you might as well have stayed home and ridden a
Philadelphia Flier down your driveway. But *Crossover Technique*? That
would have been transcendent.
Old May 9th 05, 08:12 PM
vern93

In article ,
tm wrote:

Walt wrote:
ant wrote:
tm wrote:

[...]

Did it have time traveling fireflies? That quote above is pretty bad,

Wow! That reads like a sexless "Letter to Penthouse" all it needs is
the "unrelenting assault with my thrusting meatsword"

But then, you never know what desperation an overseas
flight can force upon you. I once watched Tom Cruise movie.

I hope it was "Jerry MacWire" That was the worst thing I ever saw, and
it would make me feel slightly better knowing that you were stuck
watching it too. The only thing worse than a crappy awful movie is a
crappy awful movie that doesn't get me laid. "Show me the money. Show
me the money!" That line made me long for "where's the beef?"
Old May 9th 05, 11:13 PM
ant

vern93 wrote:
In article ,
tm wrote:

Walt wrote:
ant wrote:
tm wrote:

9 hours to go
with Dean Koontz and whatever small bottles i can pry from the
miserably unhappy hands of the flying waitressess.

You think THAT'S bad. I hopped on a cross pacific flight many
years ago, equipped with what I thought would be an easy-reading
Aeroplane Book. it was
Jeffrey Archer... Ye gods. The book was clearly written by a
drunken chimpanzee...

Eye of Argon by Jim Theis. There is no worse writing anywhere. It
simply has to be read to be believed.

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive
barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust
forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers
vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his
saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust
with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

That is distinctly purple prose. I imagine he was drunk (or worse) when he
wrote it. Archer, plainly, is from Russia and only learned English a few
years prior to taking up writing novels, and took the cut-price course
wherein he only learned the bare basics. the whole purpose of the book
appeared to be to get to the rooting bits ASAP.
No wonder they put him in jail.

Did it have time traveling fireflies? That quote above is pretty bad,

Wow! That reads like a sexless "Letter to Penthouse" all it needs is
the "unrelenting assault with my thrusting meatsword"

But then, you never know what desperation an overseas
flight can force upon you. I once watched Tom Cruise movie.

I hope it was "Jerry MacWire" That was the worst thing I ever saw,
and it would make me feel slightly better knowing that you were stuck
watching it too. The only thing worse than a crappy awful movie is a
crappy awful movie that doesn't get me laid. "Show me the money.
Show me the money!" That line made me long for "where's the beef?"

I saw a good Tom Cruise movie once (well, apart from his best, Risky
Business and Cocktail). It was one of those lawyer thrillers by that lawyer
thriller writer. Couldn't sit through Jerry MacGuire, what a plodder. Not
as awful as Mission Impossible II though, that ranks with Worst Movies Ever
Made.

ant