Crossover and Crossunder

Old May 9th 05, 02:04 AM
VtSkier

Richard Henry wrote:
"uglymoney" wrote in message

On Mon, 9 May 2005 11:42:03 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:

ant wrote:

I wish they'd hurry up and invent that. Then we could go and ski all
the good seasons. You could be a ski instructor for years and never
get old fat and decrepit. When you'd had enough of it, you could
resume getting old!

Excellent idea! Why should everyone else be denied the pleasures now
available to only a few of us? OTOH, we could go back even earlier
and choose snowboarding instead of skiing. Well, we could stop
whenever we wanted to, right?

We could go and ski the last ice age!
and we could go and prevent snowboarding from having been invented.

I'd probably just blow all my money on a slopeside motel at the base
of Jackson in Febuary, a pass, and plenty of beer. Wait around for a
powder day and just live in it forever.

Wouldn't that mean the lift-lines would be really long on the best powder
days?

Or maybe everyone would just keep going back to the first run of the
morning,

Boy, talk about thread shift! This thread basically started
out with foot instructing us in the basics of moving our
lower body with respect to our upper body, then devolved
into Ichy and myself shouting at each other ("Yes, I can.
No! You can't. etc.) and now we are talking about time travel.

Can this thread live forever? Will we find it still going
on at the Time Travel Convention in 3026? All we have to do
to keep it from dying is simply change the subject without
changing the subject line. Neat. Immortality. Now if we can
just harness the science of the thing, we will have invented
time travel. Is that all there is to it? Just not changing
the subject line? It all seems too easy.
Old May 9th 05, 02:07 AM
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
Norm wrote:
"Bob Lee" wrote

I stole this from another group, but...technically, wouldn't you only
need *one* time traveller convention?

Correct. I think that was the plan. One convention. If nobody turned up,
time travel was officially dead.

Yes, that's the premise, you would only need to have one convention.

Unfortunately, it appears that time travel is a thing of the past.

OTOH, this gives us hope that the future will be better than the present.

Why is that? Because the time travel convention in the present was so
lame that the time travellers didn't bother to show up? In
*principle* you only need one time traveller convention, but by that
logic you only need one party on any given Saturday night. But of
course, there are many different ones to choose from; the MIT affair
is hardly going to be the only time traveller convention in history.
So, just because the time travellers didn't bother to show at this
party dosen't mean that they don't exist - it's just that they *know*
alrady that it's a bust, even before it happens.

If you were from the future..

How do you know I'm not from the future?

For all we know, they're having
a GREAT convention in 3000 even as we speak.

We are. actually. Now, I've gota go.

--
// Walt
//

Old May 9th 05, 03:18 AM
vern93

In article ,
"ant" wrote:

vern93 wrote:

Well, if you mean that in the "why in the frick would I want to go see
'Titanic' again, wasn't the first time painful enough?" sort of way,

You saw Titanic?!

If you wanted to sleep with a 23 y.o. circa 1997, you HAD to see
"Titanic." I used to suggest we go at the 8pm showing on Fridays and
show up 5 minutes before showtime. "Sold out? Damn. Want to go back
to my place? I think I have it on DVD."
Old May 9th 05, 03:19 AM
Dave Stallard

Scott Abraham wrote:
"ant" wrote in message

bdubya wrote:

On Fri, 6 May 2005 08:57:29 +1000, "ant"
wrote:

Those airbuses are going to crash, they are not trustworthy, and
they are way too big. You mark my words.

If you can name an airliner that's never going to crash, I'd love to
hear about it.

I'd much rather make my 14 hour flights in planes that haven't crashed
much in the past, as opposed to ones that're going to crash like hell in
the future, and kill 800 people per time.

Amazing. Now Kerrison is an aeronautics expert foreseeing the future.

Well, we could all pitch in and buy you a ticket on one!

Dave
Old May 9th 05, 03:24 AM
Dave Stallard

ant wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

"ant" wrote in message

Something horrible is going to happen, I just know it. I'm not going
near them in a fit. I'll do a RTW before I fly in one of those
monsters.

RTW?

Return to work?

Row the whole way?

Round the World. Often cheaper than direct routes. But a pain in the neck
because you have to land a certain number of times.

I have a friend who once flew from Singapore to Switzerland the long
way. Singagpore to LA, and then back to the East coast. Slept a
night, and then flew on to Geneva. She did it because she wanted to
avoid the Middle East. Back when she told me about it, I laughed, now
I wouldn't.

Dave
Old May 9th 05, 04:46 AM
The Real Bev

vern93 wrote:

"ant" wrote:

vern93 wrote:

Well, if you mean that in the "why in the frick would I want to go see
'Titanic' again, wasn't the first time painful enough?" sort of way,

You saw Titanic?!

If you wanted to sleep with a 23 y.o. circa 1997, you HAD to see
"Titanic." I used to suggest we go at the 8pm showing on Fridays and
show up 5 minutes before showtime. "Sold out? Damn. Want to go back
to my place? I think I have it on DVD."

Jesus, that's sick. Nearly as bad as "You made out during 'Schindler's
List'???!!!"

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 9th 05, 05:01 AM
vern93

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

vern93 wrote:

"ant" wrote:

vern93 wrote:

Well, if you mean that in the "why in the frick would I want to go see
'Titanic' again, wasn't the first time painful enough?" sort of way,

You saw Titanic?!

If you wanted to sleep with a 23 y.o. circa 1997, you HAD to see
"Titanic." I used to suggest we go at the 8pm showing on Fridays and
show up 5 minutes before showtime. "Sold out? Damn. Want to go back
to my place? I think I have it on DVD."

Jesus, that's sick. Nearly as bad as "You made out during 'Schindler's
List'???!!!"

Ouch, I went to see "Schindler's List" after working 30 hours straight.
(and trying to be a good husband who went to movies with his wife with
other couples on Friday nights) I tried to stay awake, but when I fell
asleep they were making pots and pans and when I woke up, they were
making bullets. Did I miss anything important?
Old May 9th 05, 05:17 AM
Richard Henry

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
vern93 wrote:

"ant" wrote:

vern93 wrote:

Well, if you mean that in the "why in the frick would I want to go

see
'Titanic' again, wasn't the first time painful enough?" sort of way,

You saw Titanic?!

If you wanted to sleep with a 23 y.o. circa 1997, you HAD to see
"Titanic." I used to suggest we go at the 8pm showing on Fridays and
show up 5 minutes before showtime. "Sold out? Damn. Want to go back
to my place? I think I have it on DVD."

Jesus, that's sick. Nearly as bad as "You made out during 'Schindler's
List'???!!!"

You just have to sit in the back row, over near the wall.

Old May 9th 05, 11:43 AM
ant

Dave Stallard wrote:

Well, we could all pitch in and buy you a ticket on one!

In the cargo hold!

ant

Old May 9th 05, 11:47 AM
ant

Dave Stallard wrote:
ant wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:

RTW?

Return to work?

Row the whole way?

Round the World. Often cheaper than direct routes. But a pain in the
neck because you have to land a certain number of times.

I have a friend who once flew from Singapore to Switzerland the long
way. Singagpore to LA, and then back to the East coast. Slept a
night, and then flew on to Geneva. She did it because she wanted to
avoid the Middle East. Back when she told me about it, I laughed,
now I wouldn't.

A lady was arrested (in Dubai) recently because she tested positive to
Codeine, which is banned there. She had taken it a few days prior, for a
back complaint, before she flew. I think I'd avoid that area, too! It's too
weird. Despite not having the TSA scuttling about their airports.

It's funny how RTW flights can be cheaper, and they are handy as they have
more relaxed time restrictions. The Star Alliance one needs a minimum of 5
stops, and with skis that'd be just too annoying. You'd rack up some useful
frequent flyer mileage though.

ant