Crossover and Crossunder

Old May 5th 05, 03:44 PM
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:

And I do tele on my alpine gears.

how on Ullr's good white snow, can you "do tele on my
alpine gears."?

It's actually very easy to tele on alpine gear. The hard part is
finding a stash of slush powders to do it in.

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 5th 05, 03:51 PM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

A locked heel binding WILL NOT improve lateral stability
*when compared to modern telemark skiing bindings*.

Yes, a locked heel binding WILL improve lateral stability,
by the simple fact it "nails" down the loose end.

You don't know what you're talking about - your little
knowledge is clung like the dingleberry upon the hair of the
world's ass.

Guess I was right, only little knowledge use foul language
to make their arguments.

Bob's frustration shows from time to time.

Modern tele bindings and boots have full lateral stability,
the loose heel doesn't go side to side, idiot:

No, you don't need to go side to side to lose your balance,
just raising the loose heel may do that already.

If you loose your balance by raising your heel, you are
going to go end for end, that's longitudinally, NOT
laterally.

Not necessarily, during the turn, the skis travel off the longitudinal
line, i.e. there'll be side/lateral force continue to act on them. If
you weaken your stance by lift the front heel, the lateral component of
force would knock you off laterally.

http://www.sakaiya.com/goods/ski/200...le/bishopL.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/cfrvr
http://tinyurl.com/dsefa
http://tinyurl.com/a3e7e
http://tinyurl.com/dw2r6

Lateral stability is provided by the boots in BOTH
telemark skiing and alpine skiing.

No, boots may help, but they do not "provide" lateral
stability; the stance/balance provides the stability.

You really need to stop parading your ignorance as fact.
The bindings and boots, as illustrated above DO provide
lateral stability.

"No, boots may help, but they do not "provide" lateral
stability; the stance/balance provides the stability." And I
do tele on my alpine gears.

Excuse me here!! Did I read that you say "And I do tele on my
alpine gears."?

Yes,

In an earlier post in this thread didn't you write,
"No, you cannot make a tele stance with a locked heel binding,
which was why the skiing changed to parallel skiing after the
locked heel binding was invented."?

I lift my heels [inside my boots] when I ski,

If you cannot make a tele stance with a locked heel binding,
how on Ullr's good white snow, can you "do tele on my
alpine gears."?

which allows me to spread my skis fore-and-aft/longitudinally, a
telemark stance.

If telemark skiing's signature move is the telemark turn,
which REQUIRES a "telemark stance", pray tell, how do you
make a telemark turn on equipment that won't allow you to
make a telemark stance?

Mono turns, which is alternating the "parallel turn" and "tele turn" in
session, is a typical example. Though the technique will not be as
strong as the true tele, beyond the blue trails the locked heel binding
starts to get in the way.

(and I'll just snip a little of the rude name-calling)

Respect gets respect, a sign that are post all over the places in our
local skiing resorts.

IS

Old May 5th 05, 03:57 PM
Norm

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:

Personally, I can't figure out whether he's (a) the world's
densest human or (b) intentionally f*cking with us. Maybe both.

I think he's exactly what he claims to be - an itinerent ski
instructor who claims to have taken skiing to a new, higher,
level.

Guess you are too old to see anything new.

Oh, no, he sees you clearly for what you are.

Based on the techniques of flatboarding, Tai Chi Skiing does take
skiing to a new, higher level.

New? Maybe. Higher? You haven't convinced me.

Well he's certainly high on something the rest of us haven't been exposed
to.

Old May 5th 05, 04:04 PM
Norm

yunlong wrote:

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU
PRESENTED THIS VIDEO AS SHOWING!!! You presented it as you,
tracing your own tracks, and it still doesn't show this no
matter how you try to change the emphasis.

Guess you don't see the tracing then you don't see the tracing.

You show only one run and no tracks.

Ok, here's an earlier run,
http://www.taomartialarts.com/ski/contour_skiing1.wmv

OK, so here you are again skiing along the edge of the trees,
how does this show you tracing your own tracks?

Tracing along the edge of trail to make the first track?

Hold everything! I get it!

He doesn't turn. So the first run was parallel with the edge of the run. So
was the second one.
If the run didn't change he must have been tracing his first run. Sneaky.
Most of us would have turned, making it somewhat more challenging. Our
partitioned minds didn't comprehend the higher level of taichi skiing. I'm
so embarassed.

Old May 5th 05, 04:09 PM
VtSkier

yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

I WAS wondering here.

One of the very best tele-skiing patrollers at Killington, back
before the "powers that be" allowed patrollers to use telemark
equipment while patrolling, would demonstrate telemark turns using
alpine equipment by completely unbuckling his boots.

He, too, only did this on blue or lesser runs because of the
possibility of losing a ski AND a boot.

So I actually knew the answer but wanted to see if you did.
Old May 5th 05, 04:21 PM
lal_truckee

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

yunlong wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:

yunlong wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Maybe he just needs to see a good bootfitter who can fix that
heel-pocket problem and he'd advance beyond stright running?

[...]

I discovered that problem when the boy was 2. While teaching him to ski
he discovered the pleasure of "release boots" - he started kicking boots
still in the ski bindings off while riding the lift, forcing me to ski
down to his gear carrying him in arms. (Really small kid's boots seldoom
get imported.)

Maybe Yunlong is just looking for love? Wants someone to ski around
carrying him in arms?
Old May 5th 05, 04:37 PM
yunlong

VtSkier wrote:
yunlong wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the confirmation. What makes "mono turn" so interesting is
it also resembles the tecnique of snowboarding on hard boots.

IS

Old May 5th 05, 06:44 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
yunlong wrote:

I lift my heels [inside my boots] when I ski,

This explains a lot.

Maybe he just needs to see a good bootfitter who can fix that
heel-pocket problem and he'd advance beyond stright running?

You are definitely on to something here, lal.

Maybe Yunlong is just looking for love? Wants someone to ski around
carrying him in arms?

Carrying an egotistical blowhard around in your arms when you ski is THE
very basic stuff. The question is can you do it?

--
//-Walt
//
Old May 5th 05, 07:26 PM
uglymoney

On Thu, 5 May 2005 08:51:59 -0600, "pigo"
wrote:

"bdubya" wrote in message
.. .

From what I see, it's true; for a rank beginner, what your posts
describe and what your videos show actually IS a new, higher level.

Specifically, "intermediate".

From what I've seen, he might be at a higher level than rank beginner
but there's a ways to go to intermediate.

He is an advanced beginner leading his students to their destiny.
Like a mother mallard leading her ducklings across an interstate
higway at rush hour. She is confident and her students trust her with
open bills. When she reaches the shoulder she looks back at her
flattened students.

Mission accomplished. Flat-J-Walking. A higher level of street
crossing.

nate
Old May 5th 05, 10:57 PM
ant

uglymoney wrote:

Yeah, I saw that they bought ten of them. Suprised me. With the
nearly 10000 mile range of the 787 dreamliner they would be able to
run nonstops from Sydney to Denver, which would be nice. Doesn't it
get old stopping in LA or San Fran all the time?

They always stop at LAX, one of the worst airports in the world (although
this last trip, things were working a bit more smoothly, and the lines to
get through "security" were only 20-30 minutes).
And that's the thing. They make all international flights coming in stop at
a very small number of entrance points, like LAX. So even with these giant
monsters, they'll still have to stop.

Qantas do a flight from sydney to New York (badged at Qantas the whole way)
but they still land in LAX and under the new rules, all passengers have to
enter the country at that point. In the olden days, they'd corral them
somewhere and have them enter at their destination.
I imagine they are planning on non-stop flights to Vancouver; currently I
think they have to stop at Hawaii for more petrol (and beer).

I'm not sure what is so horrible about the A380 though. The 747's are
awfully cramped in coach (though I've never flow Quantas). I doubt
the A380's will be worse.

Economy in Qantas to the US seems quite roomy, although very tall people (or
very fat people) have trouble. TVs on every seatback and a choice of 8
movies plus other stuff, free grog, more food than anyone could possibly
need (after dinner, they turn off the lights etc and give everyone a bag
full of bottles of water, chocolate bars, dried fruit, lollies, you name
it).

Those airbuses are going to crash, they are not trustworthy, and they are
way too big. You mark my words.

ant