Toe pressure is crap

Old April 13th 05, 02:21 AM
foot2foot

Default Toe pressure is crap

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

I continue to maintain that alpine skiing is a function of toe pressure
- all else is folderol. Teach them toe pressure; when required,
imaginary very long toes reaching out to the shovel of the ski, but
still toe pressure.

Yea, well what about crossover? They can pressure all day and
nothing will happen unless they're crossed over. Cept maybe
they'll bruise the bottom of their foot. HUH?

What about that pal? !!!???

And what about basic skiing body position? You can pressure all
day but it won't work if you have your skis behind your head, ala
that yoga guy I saw. What about it, like every every every every
every ski technique type I've ever asked says? Basic body position/
balance, is number one.

Most of them would say that steering is number two, but actually
crossover is.

Now, you're saying what?..... that angulation combined with
weight distribution to the big toe inside edge of the outside
ski over the ball of the foot is all you ever need to do? Or,
did you say that the angulation is not anything important either?

Old April 13th 05, 04:13 AM
Wayne Decker

But it takes both. I think that getting a beginner aware of his/her
feet--and what they are doing is a good way to help him/her to START the
turn. Especially for the primarily kinesthetic learner. It really gives
them a way to focus on getting that inside edge of the turning ski pressed
into the snow. That said, it doesn't stop there. The rest of the follow
through has to happen for the turn(s) to flow: balancing, pressuring,
rotating, shifting, compressing, extending, angling, etc. --and yes,
counterbalancing the turn by crossing over to the inside of the turn--if it
is fast enough and sharp enough to warrant it--just like counterbalancing a
bike.

Wayne
--
I ski, therefore I am

Old April 13th 05, 05:35 AM
Norm

foot2foot wrote:
"lal_truckee" wrote in message

I continue to maintain that alpine skiing is a function of toe
pressure - all else is folderol. Teach them toe pressure; when
required, imaginary very long toes reaching out to the shovel of the
ski, but still toe pressure.

Yea, well what about crossover? They can pressure all day and
nothing will happen unless they're crossed over. Cept maybe
they'll bruise the bottom of their foot. HUH?

Paid attention to crossover when I was out this weekend. Your right, its
important, can't possibly turn without it. But you know what? Its the
easiest part of the whole equation. If your anywhere near correct on the
rest of it, crossover just happens, its hard to do it wrong. But if anybody
had given me the hint to imagine my big toe extending all the way to the end
of the ski, Man, that would have helped huge when I was learning. Might have
even helped me get out of the back seat. I think that is one of the biggest
improvements an intermediate skier can make, and one of the most difficult
changes to accomplish.

Old April 13th 05, 01:44 PM
VtSkier

Norm wrote:
foot2foot wrote:

[...]

Well if that would have helped, I have this new gadget
which stretches your big toe approximately 18" which
helps you visualize the effect much better.
Old April 15th 05, 12:20 AM
ant

Norm wrote:

Might have even helped me get out of the back
seat. I think that is one of the biggest improvements an
intermediate skier can make, and one of the most difficult changes to
accomplish.

True enough, it is a biggie, and often where "the plateau" begins.

ant

Old April 19th 05, 10:33 AM
foot2foot

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Well if that would have helped, I have this new gadget
which stretches your big toe approximately 18" which
helps you visualize the effect much better.

So, it worked on the other appendage then? Now you can
use it on your toe as well?

Old April 19th 05, 10:36 AM
foot2foot

"Norm" wrote in message

Paid attention to crossover when I was out this weekend. Your right, its
important, can't possibly turn without it. But you know what? Its the
easiest part of the whole equation. If your anywhere near correct on the
rest of it, crossover just happens, its hard to do it wrong. But if
anybody had given me the hint to imagine my big toe extending all the way
to the end of the ski, Man, that would have helped huge when I was
learning. Might have even helped me get out of the back seat. I think
that is one of the biggest improvements an intermediate skier can make,
and one of the most difficult changes to accomplish.

Crossover is important for any skier to understand, because it's
the biggest reason people fall. If you find yourself in trouble,
regain your balanced position and cross over to one side or the
other. But, *you"re* right. It is the most basic, and so easiest
part of turning. It's the most basic, undeniable truth of all of
skiing. To turn right, you're body must be on the right side of
the skis, and vice versa.

Actually, you might try *lifting* the toes as you ski. You might as
well lift the toe that extends to the end of the ski as well, because
it's the big toe ball of the foot you want to push with, not the toe.
If you push with the toes as well you're likely to end up cramped,
tight and tentative.

If you want to get out of the back seat, try lifting the tail of
the inside ski and leaving the tip on the snow as a drill to get
the feel of forward. Also, just pull your skis back under you
as far as you can during the bottom half of each turn, then
get used to skiing that way. Or, try to ski without any knee
flex *at all* for a while on easier terrain.

And tell LAL I was just kidding with the gruff manner.

Sheesh.

Old April 20th 05, 03:37 PM
lal_truckee

foot2foot wrote:
CLIP

Crossover is important for any skier to understand,

CLIP

And tell LAL I was just kidding with the gruff manner.

I feel abused.

And anyway, crossunder is better than crossover. Translates to the steep
and deep better than crossover. Crossunder keeps the upper body static
and in the fall line.
Old April 20th 05, 04:16 PM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

foot2foot wrote:
CLIP

Crossover is important for any skier to understand,

CLIP

And tell LAL I was just kidding with the gruff manner.

I feel abused.

Enjoy it while you can, some people have to pay big money for abuse.

And anyway, crossunder is better than crossover. Translates to the steep
and deep better than crossover. Crossunder keeps the upper body static
and in the fall line.

And it's easier.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old April 21st 05, 03:34 AM
ant

lal_truckee wrote:

And anyway, crossunder is better than crossover. Translates to the
steep and deep better than crossover. Crossunder keeps the upper body
static and in the fall line.

Nicely put.

ant

Skid, slip, and carved turn yunlong Alpine Skiing 96 February 22nd 05 07:27 PM
High Pressure - any snow due???? Greg Hilton European Ski Resorts 40 December 15th 04 03:52 AM
Holy Crap Marty Alpine Skiing 1 December 3rd 04 10:50 PM
new skis require a different skiing style? Goldenset Alpine Skiing 116 January 27th 04 09:48 PM
Flows- Heel pressure point question toddjb Snowboarding 10 January 14th 04 11:04 PM