Stolen skis

Old January 20th 05, 06:56 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
Rob White wrote:

There's no way to predict if or how skis will be stolen, the only way
stop it is to lock them up if you leave them.

Do those littel cable locks really work? I can only imagine that they
are pretty easy to cut through witha pair of wire cutters.

A friend of mine was in
Courchevel a few years ago at a pit-stop by a piste, when a skier came

past
and simply swiped a pair of skis stood up in the snow, without even
stopping. My son and a mate had three pairs nicked from their apartment
balcony in Val d-Isere 13 months ago - it seems the thief climbed up
the
drain pipe to reach them!

Not at all unusual, I've heard of this happening a few times.

I write my name on my skis with a big thick indelible marker.

That's not likely to stop them being stolen (certainly not in a ski by
theft) and the thief is hardly likely to bring them back if he sees that
they are no good to him.

Old January 20th 05, 07:06 AM
Simon Brown

"Nick Hounsome" wrote in message
. ..

That's not likely to stop them being stolen (certainly not in a ski by
theft) and the thief is hardly likely to bring them back if he sees that
they are no good to him.

The reason is that this was recommended to me by my local ski shop. Here
it's mainly expensive snowboards which get stolen, happens quite frequently
or so I hear.
--
Simon Brown
www.sysgem.com www.hb9drv.ch www.laax.ch

Old January 20th 05, 08:22 AM
PG

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
| "PG" wrote in message
|
| "Simon Brown" wrote in message
| | "Steve Haigh" wrote in message
|
| | I write my name on my skis with a big thick indelible marker.
| | --
|
| Acetone, alcohol, lemon juice, are effective erasers - or so I
hear....

| Never tried that cocktail - sounds more snowboarder-ish than grumpy
old
| skier-ish but I'll give it a go next time I visit the local DIT
centre.

LOL - yep, I'm sure it would be an effective method of ensuring memories
of the night before are erased...

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old January 20th 05, 09:44 AM
KMM

"DMG" wrote in message
Just come back from Les Gets where my skis and poles were stolen from
outside a restaurant near the top of a mountain while I was having lunch.

waited around for 2 hrs to see if they had been taken by accident but they
didn't re-appear. (My poles were fairly unique carbon composite ones so

not
easy to take by mistake.) Two points:

How do they do it? I mean, how did the thief get up there (crappy old

skis
maybe) and why bother? Wouldn't it be easier to steal them lower down or

in
the resort?

A wee tip for you. If skiing with someone, swap one of their skis over so
that you stack both pairs with an odd one. Then you should place your skis
apart, opposite ends of the restaurant area etc..

A thief will not bother if he finds two odd skis stacked and certainly wont
spend time looking for the other one amongst the dozens usually found
outside restaurants.

Kevin.

Old January 20th 05, 10:47 AM
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

A wee tip for you. If skiing with someone, swap one of their skis over so
that you stack both pairs with an odd one. Then you should place your skis
apart, opposite ends of the restaurant area etc..

A thief will not bother if he finds two odd skis stacked and certainly

wont
spend time looking for the other one amongst the dozens usually found
outside restaurants.

Kevin.

This has the added bonus that if a dumb theif does take your odd set of
skiis anyway you can always ski on one ski back down the mountain, hard work
but its better than walking!!!!!

Paul

Old January 20th 05, 11:09 AM
PG

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message

| A wee tip for you. If skiing with someone, swap one of their skis
over so
| that you stack both pairs with an odd one. Then you should place
your skis
| apart, opposite ends of the restaurant area etc..
|
| A thief will not bother if he finds two odd skis stacked and
certainly
| wont
| spend time looking for the other one amongst the dozens usually
found
| outside restaurants.
|
| This has the added bonus that if a dumb theif does take your odd set
of
| skiis anyway you can always ski on one ski back down the mountain,
hard work
| but its better than walking!!!!!

Except that most thieves aren't stupid and are actually watching you
arrive at the restaurant, and see precisely where split skis have been
put (given how obvious most people make it). Proven by the recent
experience of the SnowHeads forum admin in the restaurant top of the
Sauliuire, who thus lost his much-loved Pocket Rockets.

Pete - SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old January 20th 05, 11:47 AM
AH

Rob White wrote:
Do those littel cable locks really work? I can only imagine that they are
pretty easy to cut through witha pair of wire cutters.

Its a deterent really.. doesn't have to work.. the thief will automatically
take the next pair rather than bother about ones with a cable lock.. its
pretty sad though that its come to the point where you have to lock up your
ski's on the top of a 3000m mountain..

Old January 20th 05, 11:49 AM
AH

"PG" wrote in message

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message

| A wee tip for you. If skiing with someone, swap one of their skis
over so
| that you stack both pairs with an odd one. Then you should place
your skis
| apart, opposite ends of the restaurant area etc..
|
| A thief will not bother if he finds two odd skis stacked and
certainly
| wont
| spend time looking for the other one amongst the dozens usually
found
| outside restaurants.
|
| This has the added bonus that if a dumb theif does take your odd set
of
| skiis anyway you can always ski on one ski back down the mountain,
hard work
| but its better than walking!!!!!

Except that most thieves aren't stupid and are actually watching you
arrive at the restaurant, and see precisely where split skis have been
put (given how obvious most people make it). Proven by the recent
experience of the SnowHeads forum admin in the restaurant top of the
Sauliuire, who thus lost his much-loved Pocket Rockets.

I don't think they put quite this much effort into it.. and if they were
watching when you split your ski's up, I'm sure they'd just think "Too hard,
next sucker"..

Old January 20th 05, 12:57 PM
Carl Edwards

FWIW we got about 6cms new snow so far - not much good really. Still need
another 50cms although the forecast is very good for a major dump today.

You been going heavy on the dumplings and ale again then?

Sorry... all this snow is making me giddy enough to resort to scatological
humour... )

Old January 20th 05, 01:06 PM
KMM

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message

A wee tip for you. If skiing with someone, swap one of their skis over

so
that you stack both pairs with an odd one. Then you should place your

skis
apart, opposite ends of the restaurant area etc..

A thief will not bother if he finds two odd skis stacked and certainly

wont
spend time looking for the other one amongst the dozens usually found
outside restaurants.

Kevin.

This has the added bonus that if a dumb theif does take your odd set of
skiis anyway you can always ski on one ski back down the mountain, hard

work
but its better than walking!!!!!

Should be easy to spot the thieves then