Borovets???

Old December 2nd 04, 05:13 PM
pete devlin

In message , Walter Wright
writes
Hey, anyone care to throw in some nominations for their most hated
lift? I'll open the bidding with the Lievre Blanc draglift in La
Rosiere, which on more than one occasion has got me airborne for 10-15
feet from a standing start. I swear you could easily lose an arm if you
weren't careful. Any other reasons for hating particular lifts are
valid too.

After watching a French skier do some quite spectacular trick on a poma,
I started pre jumping those jerky lifts. It's good fun but you do get a
bit of a barracking from the lift queue when your attempted helicopter
goes a bit wrong!
--
Pete Devlin
Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world.
Old December 2nd 04, 09:10 PM
Steve Haigh

pete devlin wrote:
In message , Walter Wright
writes

Hey, anyone care to throw in some nominations for their most hated
lift? I'll open the bidding with the Lievre Blanc draglift in La
Rosiere, which on more than one occasion has got me airborne for 10-15
feet from a standing start. I swear you could easily lose an arm if
you weren't careful. Any other reasons for hating particular lifts are
valid too.

After watching a French skier do some quite spectacular trick on a poma,
I started pre jumping those jerky lifts. It's good fun but you do get a
bit of a barracking from the lift queue when your attempted helicopter
goes a bit wrong!

It's hard to imagine a heli on a poma going right:-) Assuming you ended
up in a heap I'm surrpised you got a bollocking, are you sure the liftie
wasn't just ****ing himself with laughter?
Old December 2nd 04, 09:29 PM
Carl

ITYMissplet 'troll'.

LOL. Good point Ace.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:40 PM
pete devlin

In message , Steve Haigh
writes
It's hard to imagine a heli on a poma going right:-)

I haven't tried another one since!

Assuming you ended up in a heap I'm surrpised you got a bollocking,
are you sure the liftie wasn't just ****ing himself with laughter?

The liftie said nothing. The queue ****ed themselves laughing and gave
me abuse in about 7 different languages.
Old December 3rd 04, 01:58 PM
David Brown

"Roy" wrote in message
- Andorra is ok but it is exactly what it says on the
label, cheap and cheerful (been there, never again) - the emphasis on
cheap,
with mediocre skiing.

Where abouts did you go?
I'd agree with PdlC but Soldeu has a whole unused mountain over on the right
as you look at the piste map. You have to get the 'snowcat' lift to Pic
D'Encampadana which only runs for a couple of hours a day but you have
plenty lovely of untouched powder runs. Also if the snow is good there are
lots of challenging runs under the chair lifts. Don't right off the whole
of Andorra.

--
kitemap
http://ugcc.co.uk

Old December 3rd 04, 02:12 PM
Ace

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:58:48 -0000, "David Brown"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
- Andorra is ok but it is exactly what it says on the
label, cheap and cheerful (been there, never again) - the emphasis on
cheap,
with mediocre skiing.

Where abouts did you go?
I'd agree with PdlC but Soldeu has a whole unused mountain over on the right
as you look at the piste map. You have to get the 'snowcat' lift to Pic
D'Encampadana which only runs for a couple of hours a day but you have
plenty lovely of untouched powder runs. Also if the snow is good there are
lots of challenging runs under the chair lifts. Don't right off the whole
of Andorra.

Oi! It's supposed to be a secret.

but now you mention it, yes, it's massively underrated for challenging
skiing - even without the snowcat tow (and it only runs on days when
they feel like it and is not publicised) there's actually _loads_ of
skiiable off-piste terrain.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 3rd 04, 02:39 PM
gbaylis

" Are you seriously trying to tell me that an intermediate boarder, whether
travelling goofy or regular should
lack the necessary skills to negotiate a drag lift whether on an "adverse
camber" or not? Do me a favour... There's an edge on both sides of the
board, you know..."

(No troll guys) - see there he goes again spouting forth garbage from either
a stance of ignorance or lack of experience when riding with others - few
years back, ok in late spring over the back of Calviere there was one drag
that did have a couple of "intermediates", actually they would probably be
insulted at that, but anyway, they came off, not once, but twice ..... and
they were goofy, whilst those that were regular had no probs.........

But hey, what do I know??

Old December 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
Ace

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:39:54 -0000, "gbaylis"
wrote:

" Are you seriously trying to tell me that an intermediate boarder, whether
travelling goofy or regular should
lack the necessary skills to negotiate a drag lift whether on an "adverse
camber" or not? Do me a favour... There's an edge on both sides of the
board, you know..."

(No troll guys) - see there he goes again spouting forth garbage from either
a stance of ignorance or lack of experience when riding with others

And there you go again, both with the inflammatory comments and the
generalisations - you've no idea what Carl's experience of 'riding
with others' is but you feel able to tell us all about it anyway.

- few
years back, ok in late spring over the back of Calviere there was one drag
that did have a couple of "intermediates", actually they would probably be
insulted at that, but anyway, they came off, not once, but twice ..... and
they were goofy, whilst those that were regular had no probs.........

But hey, what do I know??

Not a lot, it seems. When I learnt to board we had to use a drag lift
on our first lesson, and I'd humbly suggest that anyone who's not
capable of doing so is not deserving to be called even an
'intermediate' boarder - i.e. they're not very good at it at all.

If they'd be insulted by this then that's their problem, not mine ir
anyone else's.
--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 3rd 04, 03:15 PM
gbaylis

But hey, what do I know??

Not a lot, it seems. When I learnt to board we had to use a drag lift
on our first lesson, and I'd humbly suggest that anyone who's not
capable of doing so is not deserving to be called even an
'intermediate' boarder - i.e. they're not very good at it at all.

Sorry and apologies, I'm obviously way out of my league here with you guys -
such experience
and insight - I should have known, what with ski club of great britain in
your sig...
and by the way Switters was right, I was in fact refering to a group, as in
on the mountain,
and not a news group - so don't go jumping to wrong conclusions - I mean you
might have me
down as a beginner / intermediate boarder................
mmm I've just noticed that somehow gbaylis has come up instead of my usual
sig..

Oh well - maybe you super heroes should check out
http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin...?ubb=forum;f=1 I'm sure
they would welcome
Ski Club of GB with open arms.....

Old December 3rd 04, 03:27 PM
Sarah Eggleston

wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message

- Andorra is ok but it is exactly what it says on the
label, cheap and cheerful (been there, never again) - the emphasis on
cheap,
with mediocre skiing.

Where abouts did you go?
I'd agree with PdlC but Soldeu has a whole unused mountain over on the right
as you look at the piste map. You have to get the 'snowcat' lift to Pic
D'Encampadana which only runs for a couple of hours a day but you have
plenty lovely of untouched powder runs. Also if the snow is good there are
lots of challenging runs under the chair lifts. Don't right off the whole
of Andorra.

Oi! It's supposed to be a secret.

Yes, hush!

but now you mention it, yes, it's massively underrated for challenging
skiing - even without the snowcat tow (and it only runs on days when
they feel like it and is not publicised) there's actually _loads_ of
skiiable off-piste terrain.

I've booked a week in Soldeu for a few intermediates and we're hoping to
discover some off-piste: average powder experience is close to nil. Can
anyone recommend a good person to learn from?

I gather the Andorra ski-school is pretty good, although AFAIK it's the
only school around. Should we hire one of their instructors?

-Sarah

Borovets Almarni European Ski Resorts 3 March 1st 04 07:14 AM
Does Borovets have a snowboard park? Erik Jälevik Snowboarding 0 November 13th 03 05:53 PM