Helmets

Old January 21st 04, 12:15 PM
MoonMan

Default Helmets

Steve Haigh wrote:
WeatherCam wrote:

snip

I'm a boarder and did not
use it at all in Montgenevre pre xmas - going touring this year in
April and I will not use one then - for obvious reasons - plus if
you are prone to over heating / sweating, like me buying a black
helmet was not the most inteligent thing to do!!

I'd agree totaly, hiking or touring is one time when I would probably
leave the helmet at home. Just too hot.

I can not understand why the manufacturers make Black Helmets. My old helmet
was black and it was almost unwearable in anything but the coldest
conditions. (I wore it for racing and training, 'cos you have to, but I
would have to take it off after every run!). I've now replaced it with a
*Stylish* new salomon one (well its metalic blue and red, very garish),
because its a paler colour it gets nowhere near as hot, and I can keep it on
for longer and wear it more for free skiing.

When I'm racing or training wearing a helmet does let me go faster, I dont
have to worry about hitting a pole out of the way with my head! but when I'm
free skiing I don't think it makes any difference to the risks I take.

Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk
..

Old January 21st 04, 12:33 PM
Ian Spare

MoonMan wrote:
I can not understand why the manufacturers make Black Helmets. My old helmet
was black and it was almost unwearable in anything but the coldest

I think you do understand, it's for those people who think it looks cool.

conditions. (I wore it for racing and training, 'cos you have to, but I
would have to take it off after every run!). I've now replaced it with a
*Stylish* new salomon one (well its metalic blue and red, very garish),
because its a paler colour it gets nowhere near as hot, and I can keep it on

They look quite nice (see above!), I'm thinking of a new helmet and i
liked the design of the Salomon also.

Ian
Old January 21st 04, 12:52 PM
MoonMan

Ian Spare wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
I can not understand why the manufacturers make Black Helmets. My
old helmet was black and it was almost unwearable in anything but
the coldest

I think you do understand, it's for those people who think it looks
cool.

conditions. (I wore it for racing and training, 'cos you have to,
but I would have to take it off after every run!). I've now replaced
it with a *Stylish* new salomon one (well its metalic blue and red,
very garish), because its a paler colour it gets nowhere near as
hot, and I can keep it on

They look quite nice (see above!), I'm thinking of a new helmet and i
liked the design of the Salomon also.

It's quite good to ski in, doesn't interfere with your hearing to much,
apart from wind noise sometimes, and doesn't seem to effect my peripheral
vision. I've got the chin guard on mine (good idea for slalom) and unlike my
previous chin guard it doesn't cause my glasses to steam up. and the lining
is washable apparently, which mine will probably need after a summer of dry
slope races/training.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 23rd 04, 05:30 PM
dingblade

personally, i have the occasional yard sale or two on a regular basis, so a
lid makes sense for me. i upgraded to a full face this season - salomon
crossmax - and i have no regrets. i still keep my beanie helmet for warmer
days when i'm out for a leisurely cruise, but on cold/aggressive days the
crossmax is an absolute godsend.
in terms of making lids compulsory, i think this is a no brainer for
children under 16. but for adults i think the decision should be up to them.
if joe vacationer from new jersey wants to come out to whistler and hit the
slopes in a pair of jeans and not much else, he should be able to without
interference from some silly nanny ski-laws. what's wrong with culling some
of dumber population anyways?

Old January 23rd 04, 08:41 PM
Colin Irvine

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:16:48 -0000, "Hog" squeezed
out the following:

Second last time I skied Courchevel we emerged from the Couloirs area to see
a boy of 12-14 who had fallen, someone had then gone into and over his head.
'Twas messy. Made me pause and think for a moment.
I already use a back protector to prevent further injury (in some terrain)
and I'd happily wear a lightweight ski helmet, but it needs to be carbon,
super trick with an Arai sticker.

And a pair of dog ears stuck on?

fx: ducks

We're off to La Plagne tomorrow. Play nicely!

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old January 23rd 04, 08:49 PM
Hog

Colin Irvine wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:16:48 -0000, "Hog" squeezed
out the following:

Second last time I skied Courchevel we emerged from the Couloirs
area to see a boy of 12-14 who had fallen, someone had then gone
into and over his head. 'Twas messy. Made me pause and think for a
moment.
I already use a back protector to prevent further injury (in some
terrain) and I'd happily wear a lightweight ski helmet, but it needs
to be carbon, super trick with an Arai sticker.

And a pair of dog ears stuck on?

fx: ducks

We're off to La Plagne tomorrow. Play nicely!

Ah nice. Stayed in Chapagny on the other side of the hill last year after La
Tania.
It's worth getting to the high point by the small glacier, loosing the skis
and hiking round the hill to look down on Champagny Le Haut (conditions
allowing).

--
Hog

Old January 23rd 04, 09:26 PM
Colin Irvine

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 20:49:51 -0000, "Hog" squeezed
out the following:

Colin Irvine wrote:

We're off to La Plagne tomorrow. Play nicely!

Ah nice. Stayed in Chapagny on the other side of the hill last year after La
Tania.
It's worth getting to the high point by the small glacier, loosing the skis
and hiking round the hill to look down on Champagny Le Haut (conditions
allowing).

We'll see - I'm blissfully unfit.

--
Colin Irvine
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Old January 24th 04, 01:34 PM
David Off

Ian Spare wrote:
There were some people for whom the helment was
clearly one more thing to buy along with this years jackets, radios and
any other gadget they could find, mostly from the UK I thought :-)

All the gear and no idea? Maybe that's part of it. When I was last in
la Grave in '98 no-one wore helmets.

I ski with quite a few helmet wearers - but they tend to be doing barrel
rolls and flips and such like so all the protection would seem to be a
good idea. For the skiing I do the only point I would wear a helmet is
if there was risk of stonefall from above.

Dunno about Pete's case for kids. The majority of kids do wear helmets
now, even in France it is becoming a bit unacceptable to send your kids
out without them, at least in big resorts.

But at the same time when I learnt to ski as a kid we had extremely
basic equipment and did jumps and stuff and no-one ever thought of the
risks back then. I'm not sure wrapping everyone up in cotton wool is a
good thing. Still I wear a helmet when motorcycling and wouldn't
consider riding without it so maybe it is just the degree of risk being
taken.