SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

Old November 12th 03, 12:02 PM
Michael MacClancy

Default SNCF March Tickets to the Alps

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the rest

of
the Alpes)

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'. You could have been in
the Alpen, Alpi or whatever the Slovenians and others call their parts of
the Alps. Or do you only ski in French speaking areas? Anyway, when you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 12th 03, 12:25 PM
Ace

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:02:44 -0000, "Michael MacClancy"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the rest

of
the Alpes) in Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr and May

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'.

Why on earth would you think this? I can think of three French resorts
without even trying that regularly offer skiing in all the above
months. And don't forget that large parts of Switzerland are actually
(Verbier, Crans etc.) or technically (the rest of the Valais resorts,
inc. Zermatt and Saas Fee) in French speaking cantons.

Anyway, when you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Does it really matter? Like many people, I tend to prefer a single way
of spelling place names. For instance, given that I work and (sort of)
live in Basel, I always write it like that despite the more normal
English spelling being Basle and the French being Bāle.

Your inverse pedantry is somewhat misplaced, I feel.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 12th 03, 12:32 PM
Ian Spare

On 12/11/2003 13:02, in article ,
"Michael MacClancy" wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the rest

of
the Alpes)

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'. You could have been in
the Alpen, Alpi or whatever the Slovenians and others call their parts of
the Alps. Or do you only ski in French speaking areas? Anyway, when you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Because I live in the Suisse Romande and that's what we call them, doesn't
make any less sense than using the english word.

Old November 12th 03, 12:46 PM
jcoulter

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in
om:

Yes, it's cheaper, but unlike another poster, I found the difference
to be more on the order of 20%, not 2-3 times as much. And you do
*not* need to make your reservations through RailEurope, just purchase
the ticket from them and make the actual reservation when you get to
France. On that you *will* save about half the cost.

I was basing my figures on the availability (usually) of discounted tickets
if one buys one line from SNCF.
Old November 12th 03, 12:46 PM
Paul Schofield

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in message
"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the rest

of
the Alpes)

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'. You could have been in
the Alpen, Alpi or whatever the Slovenians and others call their parts of
the Alps. Or do you only ski in French speaking areas? Anyway, when

you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Heh there's going to be a newsgroup just made for you - coming soon - don't
watch this space :-)

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old November 12th 03, 01:01 PM
Michael MacClancy

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
On 12/11/2003 13:02, in article ,
"Michael MacClancy" wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the

rest
of
the Alpes)

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'. You could have been

in
the Alpen, Alpi or whatever the Slovenians and others call their parts

of
the Alps. Or do you only ski in French speaking areas? Anyway, when

you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Because I live in the Suisse Romande and that's what we call them, doesn't
make any less sense than using the english word.

I'm afraid it does make less sense than the English word. If you're going
to mix your languages why not write 'parce que' for 'because' or 'anglais'
for English? Why not say that you live in the French speaking part of
Switzerland instead of 'Suisse Romande'? Is it a desire to make
communication difficult? Are you trying to demonstrate some sort of
intellectual superiority over the rest of us?

I'm not trying to make any point other than it facilitates communication
when people use English words when writing English. The efforts of some
people (I'm not accusing you of being one of them) to force us to use
placenames like Beijing, Mumbai etc seems pointless.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 12th 03, 01:15 PM
Michael MacClancy

.. .

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

Well, I've been skiing in the French Alpes (and for that matter the

rest
of
the Alpes)

In which case you probably weren't in the 'Alpes'. You could have been

in
the Alpen, Alpi or whatever the Slovenians and others call their parts

of
the Alps. Or do you only ski in French speaking areas? Anyway, when

you're
writing English why not write English? They're the Alps.

Heh there's going to be a newsgroup just made for you - coming soon -

don't
watch this space :-)

Was meinst Du damit? Dass es eine NG geben wird, die nur von Englaender
besucht wird? Das wuerde mich nicht interessieren, weil ich Erfahrungen aus
anderen Laender schaetze. Ich finde es nur seltsam, dass jemand ein
franzoesisches Wort benutzt, wenn es ein gutes englische Wort gibt und er
weiss, dass es dieses Wort gibt. In dieser NG wird fast ausschliesslich
Englisch geschrieben.
___
Michael MacClancy

Old November 12th 03, 01:25 PM
Ian Spare

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, I had you confused with the guy who said I should have used Alpen,
Alpi etc. Imagine how stupid that was !

Old November 12th 03, 01:29 PM
Ace

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:01:38 -0000, "Michael MacClancy"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
On 12/11/2003 13:02, in article ,
"Michael MacClancy" wrote:

They're the Alps.

Because I live in the Suisse Romande and that's what we call them, doesn't
make any less sense than using the english word.

I'm afraid it does make less sense than the English word.

What, you're too thick to understand it, are you? I can't imagine many
other people being so dumb.

The efforts of some
people (I'm not accusing you of being one of them) to force us to use
placenames like Beijing, Mumbai etc seems pointless.

Really? You think it's better if each language has its own names for
foreign cities and countries, do you? Or is it just that everyone else
should use the English word?

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old November 12th 03, 01:31 PM
jcoulter

"Michael MacClancy" wrote in
:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
On 12/11/2003 13:02, in article
, "Michael MacClancy"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" wrote in message

[...]

Next time you go to Leghorn, be sure to say hello for me. And the use of
Peking and Bombay is nothing short of a colonialist attempt to retain
control of independant nations. As for me, I write Bruxelles because
there are three ways to spell the capital of Belgium and I keep screwing
up the others.