Snow in Dolomites

Old March 3rd 06, 11:45 AM

Default Snow in Dolomites

Hi,

next week I will do a mixed piste/backcountry tour across the Dolomites
(from Passo Rolle to Dobiacco).

Can someone share his experiences from the last week(s), what is the
snow like, especially off piste? Powder or breakable crust?

Were there high wind speeds?

Or does anyone know a site, where I can find local weather dates from
the last weeks?

Best regards, Florian

Old March 3rd 06, 07:17 PM

In article ,
Florian Anwander wrote:
next week I will do a mixed piste/backcountry tour across the Dolomites
(from Passo Rolle to Dobiacco).
Can someone share his experiences from the last week(s), what is the
snow like, especially off piste? Powder or breakable crust?

Coverage was thin. I minimized my off piste in Cortina.
Crust didn't start appearing after I had moved over to Sella.

Were there high wind speeds?

Likely. I had moved to the Stubai region (even though it gets hammered
a bit harder).

Or does anyone know a site, where I can find local weather dates from
the last weeks?

Did you search for Italian Weather on a search engine?

Old March 13th 06, 01:45 PM

Hi Eugene,

thanks for for your short message. I am now back from the Dolomites:

In the more southern regions (Passo Rolle, Passo San Pellegrino) the
snowpack was very good 20 to 30 centimeters of powder on top 30 to 50 cm
of old good settled snow on north slopes (Marmolada down to the Val di
Mesdi in Sella was a dream!). On sun orientated slopes the snow became a
little bit crusted and heavier.

The snow had fallen with less wind, but while the last week there was a
lot of wind, so typical wind based avalanche situations (behind ridges)
grew fast.

In the northern part (especially while a trip from Lago di Misurina
around the Tre Cime to Fischleintal) the snow in the higher regions had
been fallen under much more wind influence and the avalanche situation
was very (!) critical.

Onpiste the snow situation is perfect. I never before experienced the
pistes in the Doloites in such a good state!

Florian

Old March 15th 06, 05:02 PM

In article ,
Florian Anwander wrote:
Hi Eugene,
thanks for for your short message. I am now back from the Dolomites:

Any time.

In the more southern regions (Passo Rolle, Passo San Pellegrino) the
snowpack was very good 20 to 30 centimeters of powder on top 30 to 50 cm

On piste the snow situation is perfect. I never before experienced the
pistes in the Dolomites in such a good state!

I pretty much stayed on piste except near the Cinque Torri. Near Tofana
on the first day I put a good gouge into the base of one of my skis.

In article ,
Florian Anwander wrote:
next week I will do a mixed piste/backcountry tour across the Dolomites
(from Passo Rolle to Dobiacco).

I missed a late bus connection on a Sunday in Dobiacco
and debated on 3-star hotels, the new hostel or the pension next to the
train station. I had a great time at the pension and not a word of
English was useful. And the girl behind the counter was really cute.

I actually considered just renting a car and driving around.

The map attempting to show the 460 lifts, towns, other lay out is
impressive.

Eugene Miya wrote:
Did you search for Italian Weather on a search engine?

I just got my phone bill from that trip: $800. Mostly web accesses, but
also calls to and from the US as well as local calls.

Old March 16th 06, 06:08 PM

"Florian Anwander" wrote in message
Onpiste the snow situation is perfect. I never before experienced the
pistes in the Doloites in such a good state!

I do like the sound of this :-) Am off to Canazei, Val Di Fassa on Saturday
for a week with the family.

Best regards,

Simon

Old March 16th 06, 07:01 PM

In article ,
Alex Heney wrote:
It is also the only "piste map" I have ever seen that shows the lifts,
but not the pistes :-)

Squaw Valley which hosted the 1960 Olympics only names lifts.
Runs have informal names.

So much of European skiing is above timber line (what? 2 lines of poles
make a border?) that there is all this unskied snow between pistes that
I can have a good time.

Old March 16th 06, 09:56 PM

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:08:42 GMT, "Simon Watkins"
wrote:

"Florian Anwander" wrote in message
Onpiste the snow situation is perfect. I never before experienced the
pistes in the Doloites in such a good state!

I do like the sound of this :-) Am off to Canazei, Val Di Fassa on Saturday
for a week with the family.

Conditions were superb when I was there in January, and from the sound
of it are even better now.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
Old March 17th 06, 08:34 AM

Hi

if you want to have a look, check the pics of our tour:
http://fa.utfs.org/mountains/2006/03...ten/index.html

example: Powder at the Marmolada
http://fa.utfs.org/mountains/2006/03...ideshow90.html

Florian