whew, snow!

Old December 8th 03, 07:00 AM
ant

Default whew, snow!

It is happening again, snow! Last time I was here in Eastern US, we got the
best snow season in recent memory. And now I am back here....more snow! I
have been skiing daily since 21 Nov, but the last couple of days have been
epic powder. So, get here now and get in early. erm, Stowe, since someone
has spilled the beans. In my experience of US and Canada skiing (and
Aussie) we really do have epic, world class skiing. It is very good, get
some if you can.

ant

Old December 8th 03, 05:20 PM
Walt

ant wrote:

It is happening again, snow! Last time I was here in Eastern US, we got the
best snow season in recent memory. And now I am back here....more snow! I
have been skiing daily since 21 Nov, but the last couple of days have been
epic powder.

You do realize that you are soliciting invitations to bite people. I'm
seriously considering extending one myself.

So, get here now and get in early. erm, Stowe, since someone
has spilled the beans. In my experience of US and Canada skiing (and
Aussie) we really do have epic, world class skiing. It is very good, get
some if you can.

Got a trip out east coming up this weekend. Unfortunately, I'm flying
into Montreal and the big snow dump seems to have passed south of the
border. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether to head north to
Tremblant, East to the Eastern Townships, or south to Vermont.

--
//-Walt
//

Old December 8th 03, 06:03 PM
Sam Seiber

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

It is happening again, snow! Last time I was here in Eastern US, we got the
best snow season in recent memory. And now I am back here....more snow! I
have been skiing daily since 21 Nov, but the last couple of days have been
epic powder.

You do realize that you are soliciting invitations to bite people. I'm
seriously considering extending one myself.

I was thinking the same thing. I just couldn't get the words together
to say it as well as you did.

Loveland scored 7" of Magic (tm) snow overnite. Yesterday I went by
the stake. Snow clearly at the 15" mark. Add 7" of snow, and presto,
30" at the stake. They are not reporting MM snow today, so they are
to use the snow depth at the stake (as I understand it).

I didn't take any pictures this trip, as we got no new snow since
my last trip to Loveland. Loveland now has every run they can blow
snow on open. So until Ullr shows up, no more new runs for me.
I'm getting the feeling that ant is dating Ullr.

Sam "Just a few 7" new snow days from a 10' base" Seiber

Old December 8th 03, 06:27 PM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote:

Walt wrote:

ant wrote:

It is happening again, snow! Last time I was here in Eastern US, we got the
best snow season in recent memory. And now I am back here....more snow! I
have been skiing daily since 21 Nov, but the last couple of days have been
epic powder.

You do realize that you are soliciting invitations to bite people. I'm
seriously considering extending one myself.

I was thinking the same thing. I just couldn't get the words together
to say it as well as you did.

Loveland scored 7" of Magic (tm) snow overnite. Yesterday I went by
the stake. Snow clearly at the 15" mark. Add 7" of snow, and presto,
30" at the stake. They are not reporting MM snow today, so they are
to use the snow depth at the stake (as I understand it).

Interesting. They were reporting 25" yesterday, and for a few days
before that...

I didn't take any pictures this trip, as we got no new snow since
my last trip to Loveland. Loveland now has every run they can blow
snow on open. So until Ullr shows up, no more new runs for me.
I'm getting the feeling that ant is dating Ullr.

Sam "Just a few 7" new snow days from a 10' base" Seiber

--
Chester Bullock,
Ethical, custom website hosting, design and programming
Tenxible Solutions,
http://www.tenxible.com
Web Based Autoresponder and DRIP system, http://www.toolsre.com
AIM: tenxible YahooIM: ccb247

Old December 8th 03, 07:00 PM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:
Interesting. They were reporting 25" yesterday, and for a few days
before that...

But they were also reporting MM conditions. From my research last week
with Colorado Ski Country USA, as long as the MM is part of the report,
the ski areas can measure the snow any way they want (or perhaps just
make up a number). I guess what is the down point right now, is that
the snow depths being reported right now don't mean a damn thing.
Perhaps when the resorts get a decent percentage of runs open on
natural snow alone, the numbers might become real. But right now
in Summit & Clear Creek counties we are pretty much on home made snow.

Sam "Working the numbers...." Seiber

Old December 8th 03, 08:07 PM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

Interesting. They were reporting 25" yesterday, and for a few days
before that...

But they were also reporting MM conditions. From my research last week
with Colorado Ski Country USA, as long as the MM is part of the report,
the ski areas can measure the snow any way they want (or perhaps just
make up a number). I guess what is the down point right now, is that
the snow depths being reported right now don't mean a damn thing.
Perhaps when the resorts get a decent percentage of runs open on
natural snow alone, the numbers might become real. But right now
in Summit & Clear Creek counties we are pretty much on home made snow.

I have long thought that the numbers were not an accurate reflection of
conditions. That's why I started the Somewhat Daily Report when I was
at Copper. First one of this season should come tomorrow evening, along
with photos, as the wife and I are going to go up tomorrow.

Old December 8th 03, 11:16 PM
Sam Seiber

Chester Bullock wrote:
I have long thought that the numbers were not an accurate reflection of
conditions. That's why I started the Somewhat Daily Report when I was
at Copper. First one of this season should come tomorrow evening, along
with photos, as the wife and I are going to go up tomorrow.

Hmmm, the snow report mystery grows. I see in this afternoons report
that Loveland has reported 10" new since yesterday afternoon. But now
the snow depth is at 25". So they gained about 3" since this morning,
but lost 5" total depth. I wondering if someone official is looking
over our sholders. I am having a little trouble buying the 10" new.
Look at the resorts near them, and their numbers are far less.

Looking foreward to your SDR when it is available.
May your turns be fun.

Sam "I am just trying to understand" Seiber

Old December 11th 03, 07:41 PM
H. R. Bob Hofmann

Chester Bullock wrote in message ...
Sam Seiber wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

[...]

Neither Sam nor Chester has said whether the "stake" is upright or
leaning over at let's say 45 degrees. The snow measures a lot deeper
when the "stake" is leaning over. :-)

Looking forward to another "Somewhat Daily Report".

H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

Old December 11th 03, 08:30 PM
Chester Bullock

Sam Seiber wrote:

Chester Bullock wrote:

[...]

For the numbers they are reporting, it may be at a 90deg angle... I
posted my report to RSA yesterday, but will repost here for those of you
that don't go there anymore...

Old December 21st 03, 04:29 AM
ant

well, we just keep getting dumps here at Stowe! it's too light and fluffy
for me to comprehend, but there's lots of it. Better than Colorado when I
was there. Meanwhile I am hoping for big discounts after Xmas, as my laptop
crashes constantly and I need a new one. Very annoyed with this thinkpad,
and am ogling the catalogues avidly!

ant