Buying gear in US

Old February 13th 04, 08:40 AM
Steve Haigh

Default Buying gear in US

Alex Heney wrote:

If you are going places where they tend to use cash, it is still
cheaper (with a decent current account/debit card) to get the money
from foreign ATMs than it is to buy it from a bank/post office/travel
agent in this country.

The post office in the UK has not charged commission for several months
(years even?). On my last few trips I've used them and found the rates
to be as good as the banks. Not bought Traveller's Cheques recently
though, not sure if the PO sell those.

If you use a card in an ATM (which I also do for convenience) you pay
the fee and you still get the bank's tourist rate, which is similar to
the rate at the post office.
Old February 13th 04, 01:33 PM
Walt

bdubya wrote:

He would have been able to buy a different brand (marque) of sled,
though, right? Like if Polaris blacklisted him, he could still score
an Arctic Cat? Or do sled manufacturers have police powers up there?
I'm really curious about the enforcement mechanism there; is it like
firearms in some US states, with a mandatory background check?

Not sure about that, but it's definitely illegal in Canada to carry a
concealed snowmobile on your person.

--
//-Walt
//
Old February 13th 04, 02:02 PM
bdubya

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:33:14 -0500, Walt
wrote:

bdubya wrote:

He would have been able to buy a different brand (marque) of sled,
though, right? Like if Polaris blacklisted him, he could still score
an Arctic Cat? Or do sled manufacturers have police powers up there?
I'm really curious about the enforcement mechanism there; is it like
firearms in some US states, with a mandatory background check?

Not sure about that, but it's definitely illegal in Canada to carry a
concealed snowmobile on your person.

I saw a bar in Ontario where you had to check your hockey stick at the
door.

bw
Old February 13th 04, 10:03 PM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:36:01 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:41:16 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

snip

And there are still some cards here which do not add a fee. For those
that do, it is usually shown separately on your bill.

No they don't show it separately (they may show a fee for cash
withdrawal on top of the "built-in" fee), the article above listed about
4 issuers which don't charge the fee, but all the main ones do (apart
from Nationwide who were one fo the 4 listed).

I bank with nationwide, and have a debit card from them, which is free
to use anywhere (except where you use it in a ATM where the ATM owner
makes a charge - this is becoming more common in this country with
ATMs in shops/garages etc.)

And is still
usually lower than the commission charged by most banks. (Typically,
they will charge the same as they would for a cash advance, which is
usually 1.5% - banks and travel agents often charge 2%)

2.75% is the norm. It's a rip off, that's all there is to it.

OK. I see I was somewhat out of date on that one. And in fact, my CC
issuer does now make a 2.75% charge. Perhaps I'll always use the debit
card when possible from now on :-)

But in the case of the card I use, there is no fee. They show the
charge in the foreign currency (which you can match against your
receipt), and the charge in UKP, so it is quite easy to work out the
rate you actually got.

Are you sure? They don't show the fee on a separate line, they build it
into the "exchange rate". If they say there is no fee in the small print
then you should be OK, but if not then you may find the fee was hidden
in there all along.

I didn't actually get to go abroad in 2003, but it was still true in
2002.

I know it isn't now. But then my card has changed issuer a few times
in the last few years. It was originally from National & Provincial,
then got taken over by Abbey National, then about a year ago (since I
last went abroad), they outsourced to MBNA.

I rather think the 2.75% charge came in with the move to MBNA. They
also introduced a late payment fee, and started giving less leeway on
the payment date at that time.

Perhaps *I* should change my CC.

But even though the Nationwide are very good, I'm reluctant to have
everything with the same organisation.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Famous last words - Icarus: Aaaahhhhhhhhh.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old February 13th 04, 10:08 PM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:40:33 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:

If you are going places where they tend to use cash, it is still
cheaper (with a decent current account/debit card) to get the money
from foreign ATMs than it is to buy it from a bank/post office/travel
agent in this country.

The post office in the UK has not charged commission for several months
(years even?).

There are always some places offering "deals" such as no commission.
But you often find (I haven't checked the current PO deal) that their
rate will be worse to counteract that.

If you're going to get money before you go, it is always worth
shopping around to find out what the lowest total cost to you is for
the money.

On my last few trips I've used them and found the rates
to be as good as the banks. Not bought Traveller's Cheques recently
though, not sure if the PO sell those.

If you use a card in an ATM (which I also do for convenience) you pay
the fee and you still get the bank's tourist rate, which is similar to
the rate at the post office.

Not with the Nationwide :-)

No fee, and a rate slightly better than the tourist rates.

But I know the Nationwide current account is one of the best on offer
in the UK. The good debit card is just one feature of that.

Old February 14th 04, 04:11 PM
Steve Haigh

Alex Heney wrote:

I know it isn't now. But then my card has changed issuer a few times
in the last few years. It was originally from National & Provincial,
then got taken over by Abbey National, then about a year ago (since I
last went abroad), they outsourced to MBNA.

I rather think the 2.75% charge came in with the move to MBNA. They
also introduced a late payment fee, and started giving less leeway on
the payment date at that time.

They're all b*stards as far as I can tell, only some of them are less
deceitful than others.

Old February 15th 04, 10:44 PM
C. Parker

wrote:

bdubya wrote:

He would have been able to buy a different brand (marque) of sled,
though, right? Like if Polaris blacklisted him, he could still score
an Arctic Cat? Or do sled manufacturers have police powers up there?
I'm really curious about the enforcement mechanism there; is it like
firearms in some US states, with a mandatory background check?

Not sure about that, but it's definitely illegal in Canada to carry a
concealed snowmobile on your person.

I saw a bar in Ontario where you had to check your hockey stick at the
door.

bw

Mandatory or voluntary?

C.

Old February 18th 04, 05:55 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine AstroPax wrote:
Can't pin it down, exactly. Just don't like the place. Maybe it has
something to do with all the sales people following you around and
wanting to attach a little green sticker to your stuff.

I much prefer that to REI where you have to search for help from a
pimply faced kid that has no clue about what he's selling you but he
does have quite an opinion. At Kirkhams, I make them earn their
commission.

-klaus

Old February 18th 04, 06:42 PM
klaus

In rec.skiing.alpine Walt wrote:

Not sure about that, but it's definitely illegal in Canada to carry a
concealed snowmobile on your person.

I think you can as long as there is no oil in the crank.

-klaus

Buying gear in US Plake Snowboarding 55 October 28th 04 03:06 PM
Buying Snowboard as gift, What Size?? Buzzzz Snowboarding 6 February 27th 04 02:12 PM
Skeletools protective gear Tom Snowboarding 0 January 1st 04 07:40 PM
Riding gear prices Steve_r34 Snowboarding 2 December 22nd 03 02:43 AM
Sugestions for new ski/snowboard gear to test on Street Cents Baka Dasai Snowboarding 3 July 22nd 03 05:05 PM