Resort advice

Old October 28th 04, 09:00 AM
Gareth Stockwell

Default Resort advice

I'm planning a trip for 10 skiiers to the French Alps this coming
February, and just wanted to ask for some advice on where to go.
We're pretty much all intermediates, so we're after somewhere with
lots of nice long blues and reds; powder would be fun but it's not a
priority.

We're going to DIY it, getting cheap flights, hiring some cars and
staying in a self-catering chalet. Preferably we'd like a village
with at least some life to it - as long as there are a couple of nice
bars and restaurants that would be fine.

A friend recommended Les Arcs, but I can't find anywhere to stay in
1800 - does anyone have any experience of Vallandry? Particularly,
how easy is it to get across to 1800 in the evening (car/taxi/bus)?

Alternatively, I've thought about Tignes, Val d'Isere or Meribel -
which of these would you suggest?

Cheers,
Gareth
Old October 28th 04, 09:53 AM
Paul Schofield

"Gareth Stockwell" wrote in message
om...
I'm planning a trip for 10 skiiers to the French Alps this coming
February, and just wanted to ask for some advice on where to go.

....snip stuff

When in Feb? The half terms are pretty spread out this year and you'll find
it busy in all but the first week.

If you're looking for the cheaper option try Les Menuires - Plenty of decent
skiing, fair bit of off-piste around La Masse and from Meribel ridge down to
St Martin - but no architectural students allowed!

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

La Tania in 3V sounds like it would suit. Have a look at www.latania.co.uk
for a Brits view.

Bill

Old October 28th 04, 10:56 AM
PG

"Gareth Stockwell" wrote in message
om...
| I'm planning a trip for 10 skiiers to the French Alps this coming
| February, and just wanted to ask for some advice on where to go.
| We're pretty much all intermediates, so we're after somewhere with
| lots of nice long blues and reds; powder would be fun but it's not a
| priority.
|
| We're going to DIY it, getting cheap flights, hiring some cars and
| staying in a self-catering chalet. Preferably we'd like a village
| with at least some life to it - as long as there are a couple of nice
| bars and restaurants that would be fine.
|
| A friend recommended Les Arcs, but I can't find anywhere to stay in
| 1800 - does anyone have any experience of Vallandry? Particularly,
| how easy is it to get across to 1800 in the evening (car/taxi/bus)?
|
| Alternatively, I've thought about Tignes, Val d'Isere or Meribel -
| which of these would you suggest?

I let out accommodation in Bourg St Maurice, but one really useful
contact if you're thinking of Vallandry is the Flying Squirrel
accommodation service (he runs a mean bar too!) in Plan Peisey...

http://www.plan-peisey-accommodation.co.uk/

Pete
SNOWeSCAPE http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old October 28th 04, 01:18 PM
John Ricketts

For intermediates, (to expert) you can't really beat the variety of skiing
at Chamonix. I'm going back in february for the second year running. Booked
apartment through www.skihorizon.com and will drive from UK overnight to
avoid traffic.

If you want to fly on the cheap, try wed to wed with easyjet to Geneva.
Trouble is, you will probably struggle to get an an apartment then as they
usually go sat to sat. With what you save on the flights though, you can go
HB in a hotel (my brother is doing just that, and staying a few miles from
Chamonix in Vallorcine)

French hols this year spread from Feb 5th (zone A starts) right through all
of february. Suggest right at the beginning or right at the end to avoid the
crush and get the best deal.

Old October 28th 04, 03:24 PM
Clive Perry

"John Ricketts" wrote in message
For intermediates, (to expert) you can't really beat the variety of skiing
at Chamonix.

You can certainly beat it for skiing convenience though. Is the Cham Bus
'system' still the nightmare is was a few years ago?

I think Chamonix is a great place and there is superb skiing but it is all a
bit to fragmented for my liking for a weeks holiday.

I personally prefer Val, Tignes, Les Arcs or even La Plagne - but all IMHO
of course.

Clive

Old October 28th 04, 06:46 PM
Charlatan

La Plagne is a Blue/Red standard intermediates dream. Going there for the
4th time at xmas, and again in March.
www.la-plagne.com

[...]

---

Old October 29th 04, 04:21 PM
Gareth Stockwell

Hi Ace,

Really you need to give us something more to go on - you say you're
all intermediates but would like powder, which is a bit of a
contradiction, but all of the above mentioned have plenty of cruisy
blues and reds and off-piste if you're really up for it.

OK - fair point. *I* am certainly intermediate - which is to say I'm
happy on most pistes, but I don't much enjoy mogul-strewn sheer
blacks! Last year I went to Avoriaz with a fairly mixed group,
including a few boarders, and they were often keen to get into the
powder, which actually was great fun. This year, though, I'd say this
year most of the group will be looking for lots of cruisy pistes
rather than ducking the ropes.

More details of what sort of accomodation, food, nightlife, leisure
facilities, etc. etc. would perhaps help, otherwise you might as well
just make a random choice between them.

Self-catering accom, within walking distance of a village. Somewhere
which has at least a couple of bars with some life to them - and some
nice restaurants - but we're not looking for full-on Ibiza-with-snow
style nightlife. As for leisure facilities, we're planning to be on
the slopes all day, every day, so the lifts will be the only amenities
we'll be using :-)

Gareth
Old October 29th 04, 04:23 PM
Gareth Stockwell

Cheers for the tip Pete - I will drop him a line.