Skiing Courmayeur, some basic transportation and logistical questions...

Old February 25th 04, 01:26 PM
james

Default Skiing Courmayeur, some basic transportation and logistical questions...

Hi,
I posted this to rec.skiing and got some great info, and they
suggested I look here for more detailed info.

1)Flying into Malpensa and looking for the shortest, easiest way to
Courmayeur. Right now I plan on taking the train to Cadorna station
then the metro to Centrale where I'll take the 3 hour train to aosta
and another train to Courmayeur. Is this the best way? It doesnt
seem like the best route to come down into milan only to go back out
of the city. What would you experts suggest?

2)Cheap accomodations in Courmayeur? Should we stay in Courmayeur or
a neighboring town? I'll be in town on a saturday and sunday night
and would like to find some nightlife too.

3)I am an expert skiier. How important is it that I have a guide to
ski the off piste runs? I dont want to fall into a crevasse, but I
also dont have money. Cant I just follow tracks?

4)Any other suggestions?
Old February 26th 04, 08:06 AM
Marco Cattaneo

"james" wrote in message
om...

1)Flying into Malpensa and looking for the shortest, easiest way to
Courmayeur. Right now I plan on taking the train to Cadorna station
then the metro to Centrale where I'll take the 3 hour train to aosta
and another train to Courmayeur. Is this the best way? It doesnt
seem like the best route to come down into milan only to go back out
of the city. What would you experts suggest?

There are direct buses from Milano (porta Garibaldi) to Courmayeur. An
alternative is bus Malpensa to Torino, then Torino to Courmayeur. All the
timetables are at http://www.sadem.it/orari_tariffe.htm. Click on Valle
d'Aosta

2)Cheap accomodations in Courmayeur? Should we stay in Courmayeur or
a neighboring town? I'll be in town on a saturday and sunday night
and would like to find some nightlife too.

A nice cheap and cheerful hotel is Hotel Funivia in La Palud, right next to
the Mont Blanc cablecar, and within 15 minutes walking distance from the Val
Veny cablecar. Tiny village though, along a road, with little night life
(though there is a bar/disco close to the hotel, and an excellent cheap
restaurant next door).

http://w3.valdigne.com/cgi-bin/db/os.../Show?_id=1d21

3)I am an expert skiier. How important is it that I have a guide to
ski the off piste runs? I dont want to fall into a crevasse, but I
also dont have money. Cant I just follow tracks?

The off-piste in Courmayeur is all pretty adventurous - Toula Glacier and
Vallee Blanche from the Mont Blanc cable car, and various routes from the
Youla and Arp cablecars. Apart from the Vallee Blanche, these are all little
frequented high mountain areas, I think it's a must not to go on your own.
You may strike lucky and find others in your hotel willing to ski with you,
but you will certainly make the most of them with a guide.

Probably the only one you can do safely without a guide is the Vallee
Blanche, simply because of the crowds doing it, just stay in sight of
another group. However you will then only follow the standard route, with
stunning scenery but not really challenging skiing - and don't forget to
check the bus times to get you back to Courmayeur from Chamonix!

4)Any other suggestions?

Old March 4th 04, 10:57 AM
John Ricketts

I did the Vallee Blanche a couple of weeks back (from the Aguille du midi)
and at that time, the guides were only taking skiers as snowboards were
deemed more dangerous. The conditions were said to be more dangerous than
usual this season due to a warm summer last year, which opened up new
cracks/crevasses. We were told that another 3 metres of snow was needed to
restore things. There were some spectacular snow holes and crevasses, and I
was glad of the security of having a harness, transponder and guide!

I'd get some local input when you go, as conditions change rapidly week to
week.

Have fun!

"Marco Cattaneo" wrote in message

om...