Some boot/size questions...

Old October 8th 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Kevin

Default Some boot/size questions...

My boots no long fit as perfectly as they did 4 years ago, so I am toying
with the agonizing process of buying new boots.

My Nordica boots say "26.0-26.5" on them. According to Nordica that is a
men's 8. Well, I am a 10.5 (44).
Is the boot size just a random number, or should I be looking for another
pair that size?
Last time I tried on about 20 pair at 3 stores. (we only have 1 store left,
so that part will be simpler...). Since only the Nordica fit well last
time, am I likely to find Nordica fitting well this time, or is that just
random also.

I think my problem is just that the boot liner is worn out; I have to make
the buckles tighter to get them to fit, so they are less comfortable. Are
new liners likely to be available at a reasonable price? Where?

thanks much

Old October 8th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
[email protected][_2_]

On Oct 8, 11:38*am, "kevin" wrote:
My boots no long fit as perfectly as they did 4 years ago, so I am toying
with the agonizing process of buying new boots.

My Nordica boots say "26.0-26.5" on them. *According to Nordica that is a
men's 8. *Well, I am a 10.5 (44).
Is the boot size just a random number, or should I be looking for another
pair that size?
Last time I tried on about 20 pair at 3 stores. *(we only have 1 store left,
so that part will be simpler...). *Since only the Nordica fit well last
time, am I likely to find Nordica fitting well this time, or is that just
random also.

I think my problem is just that the boot liner is worn out; I have to make
the buckles tighter to get them to fit, so they are less comfortable. *Are
new liners likely to be available at a reasonable price? Where?

thanks much

I don't know about new liners but Tognar has lots of inserts to help
pad your old liners closer to their original shape.
http://tognar.com/boot_heater_warmer...snowboard.html

snoig
Old October 8th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 13:38:21 -0400, "kevin"
wrote this crap:

My boots no long fit as perfectly as they did 4 years ago, so I am toying
with the agonizing process of buying new boots.

My Nordica boots say "26.0-26.5" on them. According to Nordica that is a
men's 8. Well, I am a 10.5 (44).
Is the boot size just a random number, or should I be looking for another
pair that size?
Last time I tried on about 20 pair at 3 stores. (we only have 1 store left,
so that part will be simpler...). Since only the Nordica fit well last
time, am I likely to find Nordica fitting well this time, or is that just
random also.

I think my problem is just that the boot liner is worn out; I have to make
the buckles tighter to get them to fit, so they are less comfortable. Are
new liners likely to be available at a reasonable price? Where?

thanks much

Have you thought about checking with a boot fitter?

(Maybe I *am* Mr. Obvious.)

Boo-Yah!

Vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old October 8th 09, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

kevin wrote:
My boots no long fit as perfectly as they did 4 years ago, so I am toying
with the agonizing process of buying new boots.

My Nordica boots say "26.0-26.5" on them. According to Nordica that is a
men's 8. Well, I am a 10.5 (44).
Is the boot size just a random number, or should I be looking for another
pair that size?
Last time I tried on about 20 pair at 3 stores. (we only have 1 store left,
so that part will be simpler...). Since only the Nordica fit well last
time, am I likely to find Nordica fitting well this time, or is that just
random also.

I think my problem is just that the boot liner is worn out; I have to make
the buckles tighter to get them to fit, so they are less comfortable. Are
new liners likely to be available at a reasonable price? Where?

This is where professional help really pays off - a good bootfitter is
worth his/her weight in [insert favorite metaphor].

That said, it sounds like you didn't get such help last time, so first
advice is get your boots at the slopes you most often frequent - ask the
patrol or race coach who's the best bootfitter around the area and buy
from them.

Failing that, learn some basics about fitting boots. Written size
doesn't matter - you check proper shell size by putting your foot
(wearing a very thin sock) in empty shells (remove the liner) until you
find shells that, with your straight toes rubbing against the front of
the shell, leave you with a finger or so's worth of gap at the heel. If
you can find several properly sized shells look among them for a shell
that fits your foot shape. Put in the liner. In (very) thin socks you
should feel as if your foot is being held in position by very strong
weight-lifters. No movement back and forth, no side to side, no up and
down, no slop whatsoever. Wear the boots for awhile, while moving
around. If you have pressure points or painful spots talk to the shop
about pushing out the shell over those spots to relieve localized
pressure. If they won't, they're really NOT a ski shop and you should be
back to first advice (above.)

Re replacing liners, once again a good bootfitter will both know which
aftermarket liners will fit which boot and stock the liners. You really
need to find a good bootfitter - it's like magic.
Old October 8th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

kevin wrote:

My Nordica boots say "26.0-26.5" on them. According to Nordica that is a
men's 8. Well, I am a 10.5 (44).
Is the boot size just a random number, or should I be looking for another
pair that size?

I am a 11.5 (45). My ski boots are Nordica's. Size 8.

DOn't buy your boots by the number, buy by the fit. See lal's post above.

Last time I tried on about 20 pair at 3 stores. (we only have 1 store left,
so that part will be simpler...). Since only the Nordica fit well last
time, am I likely to find Nordica fitting well this time, or is that just
random also.

Different brands will have differently shaped lasts. Within a brand,
diferent models may share a last or use different lasts. So, *if* your
old boots really fit well you should try to find a new pair with the
same last, which would mean staying with Nordica - however it doesn't
mean that any Nordica will do..

I think my problem is just that the boot liner is worn out; I have to make
the buckles tighter to get them to fit, so they are less comfortable. Are
new liners likely to be available at a reasonable price? Where?

Liners pack out over time, so this may be your problem. Sometimes you
can get new liners, and I'd ollk into this. Ask at the shop.

//Walt
Old October 10th 09, 11:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mighty Chris

One other thing you can do is jam a tape measure into the shell of
your boot and figure out how much length you actually have INSIDE the
shell. Boots of the same size from different makers will have varying
space inside. Just as an example, a 29 Garmont AT shell seems to have
the same inside length as a 30 Black Diamond shell.

Anyway, once you know the inside length of your current boots, that'll
tell you how much length to look for when sizing your new boots. I
know you can just use your finger to measure behind your heel with
your foot in the shell, but frankly I was a lot more confident using
something more precise.

Last minute boot/binding questions Larry Nordic Skiing 4 November 5th 06 10:58 PM
Boar & boot size Igor Snowboarding 2 March 14th 05 05:31 PM
boot/binding questions Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 10 October 11th 04 02:47 PM
"Soft" boot questions- right for me?? TS Alpine Skiing 4 November 15th 03 10:05 PM