Seven Springs comes through/New gear!

Old January 22nd 04, 05:15 AM
Joe Ramirez

Default Seven Springs comes through/New gear!

I mentioned to some people here that I had sent an abridged version of my
message, "Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs," to the resort,
but that I wasn't expecting a response. Well, I was wrong. Today I received
an e-mail from the director of the ski and snowboard school at Seven
Springs. He said that he was disappointed that our first experience at the
resort had not been enjoyable, and to make up for it he offered me free lift
tickets, equipment rentals, and a private lesson for my son and me, which I
accepted. I'm not sure whether the moral of this tale is that the squeaky
wheel gets the grease or that a big company can sometimes be responsive and
helpful to its customers -- maybe both -- but I respect the gesture and I'm
pleased to get the complimentary private lesson.

Actually, one part of Seven Springs' offer that I did not accept was the
free rental equipment. Yesterday we bought our own. I considered the option
of renting from a shop in advance, but it just seemed to add too much
complexity to the snowboarding process. Most of the retail ski/board shops
in the city area don't rent. (As I said, the shops in the mountains near the
resorts rent, but I couldn't really rent "in advance" from them.) There is
one local rental shop, near the Boyce Park ski area. I believe they rent
either by the day, or for a longer term, but I ruled out the option of a
long-term rental because I thought it would be fairly expensive. Why not
just buy? I ruled out a series of short-term rentals as just too much
trouble. I don't want every snowboarding session to require an ancillary
trip to the rental shop both before and after. When you have your own gear,
you can engage in a sport on the spur of the moment, but when you are
renting, everything turns on the hours of the rental shop and the
availability of the equipment you want. One rental experience was plenty. I
want to be fitted and measured once, then be done with it, at least for the
season.

Also, spending the money on new equipment will provide an extra incentive to
stay with the sport until we learn it. Sometimes it's best to grit your
teeth on your pursestrings (not that I carry a purse, of course g).

So, yesterday I visited three shops. First I went to the two shops closest
to home. (Both are ski/board; I don't think there are any pure snowboard
stores in western Pennsylvania). The big shop had lots of big name gear --
Burton, Ride, Rossignol, etc. They had Burton step-in boots and bindings,
which were nicely made and seemed to operate pretty smoothly. The clerk, who
was a skier rather than a boarder, but who seemed reasonably well-informed,
suggested a board package consisting of a Ride Control board and Ride's
entry-level LS strap bindings for about $350. Not bad, I thought, but maybe
a little more than I wanted to spend, since I'd need two packages. The store
also had a nice selection of boots.

The small shop had a mix of name brand and "generic" equipment, but a
smaller selection, as you would expect. I knew the guy there because we had
previously bought gloves, goggles and a pair of pants from his shop. He
suggested a package of an entry-level board by a company called Bond, from
Austria, plus Liquid strap bindings for about $250. A good price, but the
board was ugly (plain black) and I knew my son would not be crazy about the
bindings. He's from the Velcro generation and has no great love for straps,
laces or buckles. I think the shop also carried Switch step-in bindings, but
I didn't price them. Though I found the step-in bindings we used at Seven
Springs to be very convenient, step-in boots seem clunkier. I tried on a
pair of Burton boots (regular, not step-in), size 11, which were too small.

In the evening, my son and I both went to shop number three, near Boyce
Park. This store also had a selection of well-known and less well-known
brands. The manager was very attentive and really seemed to know his stuff.
We tried on and purchased SnowJam Matrix boots that fit well and were
reasonably priced. He also recommended a SnowJam Zuma Wave board for each of
us, size 158, with basic strap bindings, for $250, but we decided to splurge
and get Flow bindings. They felt just as snug as the strap bindings and
seemed about as easy to use as the step-ins, or even easier in some ways
(e.g., the Burton step-ins required two hands to release). The manager
measured our stances (both distance between the feet and the angles of each
foot) and made sure the bindings fit the boots we'd selected. For my son's
size 10, the Flow L worked fine, but for my size 11 (although the 11 Burton
boot had been too small, the 11 SnowJam was fine, so they must run larger),
the XL was better. Price for each Zuma Wave and Flow bindings set was $325.
Is that a good deal? I hope so, because it's a done deal. g

So, we are set to continue, and will no longer have the excuse of
recalcitrant equipment if we screw up. g I would describe my son's
current attitude toward snowboarding as unenthusiatic but coaxable, which
may describe much of a 14-year-old's outlook on life, come to think of it.

Oh, and the shop we bought from is organizing a great trip to Lake Louise
and Banff in early April. It's super cheap and includes four nights at the
Chateau Lake Louise and three at the Banff Springs Hotel. We gawked at, but
did not stay in, both those resorts when we were in Alberta ten years ago.
My wife is seriously interested in joining this expedition -- this could be
the one part of the snowboarding experience that she will really enjoy!

Joe Ramirez

Old January 22nd 04, 08:58 AM
Switters

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:15:15 GMT, "Joe Ramirez"
allegedly wrote:

I would describe my son's
current attitude toward snowboarding as unenthusiatic but coaxable,
which may describe much of a 14-year-old's outlook on life, come to
think of it.

I wish my Dad dragged me snowboarding at 14! Tsk, kids today, don't know
how lucky they are, mumble grumble, bah humbug.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 22nd 04, 04:38 PM
paul m

I would describe my son's
current attitude toward snowboarding as unenthusiatic but coaxable,
which may describe much of a 14-year-old's outlook on life, come to
think of it.

I wish my Dad dragged me snowboarding at 14! Tsk, kids today, don't know
how lucky they are, mumble grumble, bah humbug.

no ****! i would be waaaay better than i am now! hucking massive 540's and
generally rocking.
uh, anyway...

joe, i'm glad to hear that you presevered! buying your own gear *is* a good
way to commit, and having previously read the soon to be massive "experience"
thread, thats the one thing that stood out to me.... you and your son just
needing to commit to the whole thing.
snowboarding sucks the first two times, but then on that magical third or
fouth day, it clicks and suddenly... you understand how cool it all is!
i know that you've heard that, but rest assured, its true.

i have a personal policy that i will *NOT* take people snowboarding unless
they absolutely commit to going three times. and i've since expanded that to
include the pre-purchase of three lift tickets for my newbie friends. and you
know, it works! it really does. if i bang into peoples heads that the
learning curve is a minimum of three days, and that the first couple are gonna
hurt, people know up front and don't wash out.

good luck joe, and i wish i could be there to help and encourage you. its too
bad that you don't have any snowboarder friends. if you only came to utah,
you'd have more help than you'd know what to do with.

i look forward to hearing about your next adventure!
paul

Old January 22nd 04, 08:09 PM
Han Solo (D)

"Joe Ramirez" wrote:

I mentioned to some people here that I had sent an abridged version of
my message, "Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs," to the
resort, but that I wasn't expecting a response. Well, I was wrong.
Today I received an e-mail from the director of the ski and snowboard
school at Seven Springs. He said that he was disappointed that our
first experience at the resort had not been enjoyable, and to make up
for it he offered me free lift tickets, equipment rentals, and a
private lesson for my son and me, which I accepted. I'm not sure
whether the moral of this tale is that the squeaky wheel gets the
grease or that a big company can sometimes be responsive and helpful
to its customers -- maybe both -- but I respect the gesture and I'm
pleased to get the complimentary private lesson.

Hey, that is really what I call customer service!
I wish we had the same here :-)

And congratulations to your new equipement...now you'll probably going to
stay on that great sport!

Hope your learning will be much fun!

Martin
Old January 22nd 04, 08:32 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Joe Ramirez wrote:

Oh, and the shop we bought from is organizing a great trip to Lake Louise
and Banff in early April. It's super cheap and includes four nights at the
Chateau Lake Louise and three at the Banff Springs Hotel. We gawked at, but
did not stay in, both those resorts when we were in Alberta ten years ago.
My wife is seriously interested in joining this expedition -- this could be
the one part of the snowboarding experience that she will really enjoy!

Go for it, you won't regret it. I only wish I could afford to stay at
the Chateau. Your wife will enjoy the trip even if she never sets foot
off the Chateau property. And I have always said that you can learn the
technique of riding or skiing at your little local resort, but it takes
a place like Louise to make you fall head over heels in love with the
experience. Even skidding sideways down the beginner trail is glorious
when you look up and see the Bow Valley laid out under your feet. If
you have a bad day, just sit on the deck in the lodge and soak up the
vibe and the scenery. It is a seriously beautiful place.

Neil

Old January 22nd 04, 10:04 PM
Spiff

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:15:15 -0500, "Joe Ramirez"
wrote:

So, we are set to continue, and will no longer have the excuse of
recalcitrant equipment if we screw up. g I would describe my son's
current attitude toward snowboarding as unenthusiatic but coaxable, which
may describe much of a 14-year-old's outlook on life, come to think of it.

Oh, and the shop we bought from is organizing a great trip to Lake Louise
and Banff in early April. It's super cheap and includes four nights at the
Chateau Lake Louise and three at the Banff Springs Hotel. We gawked at, but
did not stay in, both those resorts when we were in Alberta ten years ago.
My wife is seriously interested in joining this expedition -- this could be
the one part of the snowboarding experience that she will really enjoy!

Joe Ramirez

Good job Joe...my only bit of advice would have been to buy the best
boots you could afford and either rent a board or buy at the end of
the season when they tend to blow out gear for a lot cheaper...
Chances are you wont outgrow the boots, but will the bindings and
board...
Its awesome out here in Alberta...Since you are going in the winter
time, its alot cheaper for accomodations (its considered the
off-season..haha).
I was out at Lk Louise last weekend...not bad conditions...a base of
only about 3ft but enough to keep things buried...Dont count on being
able to board some of the black diamond runs due to the thin snow
cover...
Banff Springs and Chateau Lk Louise...you must be royalty...

Spiff

Old January 23rd 04, 12:12 AM
Daniel Paik

In article ,
Joe Ramirez wrote:
reasonably priced. He also recommended a SnowJam Zuma Wave board for each of
us, size 158, with basic strap bindings, for $250, but we decided to splurge
and get Flow bindings. They felt just as snug as the strap bindings and
seemed about as easy to use as the step-ins, or even easier in some ways

i use flows and i think they are ok. personally, i still like straps more but b/c of
convenience (the mountains at big bear (my local resort) have short runs).

i've taught a lot of people how to snowboard and i always start in the following order:

1) walk up a few yards and practice pushing the snowboard with one foot strapped. when
comfortable, glide a little at a time (similar to pushing a skateboard).

2) practice the scootch with both feet in. just buckle in and slide left and right.

3) practice gliding down a slight incline to practice getting off the lift. look
straight ahead (not down), relax, glide, and stop with your free foot. about 45
minutes passes at this point.

4) go up on the bunny lift. about 1/2 of my "students" (i'm not a pro) get off the
lift without falling their very first time.

5) practice falling leaf. i usually don't want them pointing down the hill early on
because they will just get out of control and get hurt. falling leaf on their heelside
and then sitting down and doing the same thing on their toeside is great for teaching
edge control.

6) do falling leaf all day. once they master both edges, try introducing the J turn.
linked turns usually don't come until 2-3 days of boarding. it's basically falling
leaf-J turns-garlands (just a bunch of j turns)-linked turns

i usually find that falling leaf takes the rest of the first day to master b/c the
student has trouble with one side. some can do their heel side but not toe side and
vice versa.

Dan.
--
RVD...The Whole F'n Show
i was bored one day and ended up making http://www.hanguk.com/~danpaik
Old January 23rd 04, 04:06 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Spiff" wrote in message

Good job Joe...my only bit of advice would have been to buy the best
boots you could afford and either rent a board or buy at the end of
the season when they tend to blow out gear for a lot cheaper...
Chances are you wont outgrow the boots, but will the bindings and
board...
Its awesome out here in Alberta...Since you are going in the winter
time, its alot cheaper for accomodations (its considered the
off-season..haha).
I was out at Lk Louise last weekend...not bad conditions...a base of
only about 3ft but enough to keep things buried...Dont count on being
able to board some of the black diamond runs due to the thin snow
cover...

And then there's the problem of not being able to board them due to a thin
skill set. g

Banff Springs and Chateau Lk Louise...you must be royalty...

Far from it ... the ski shop appears to be getting an excellent group rate
for the package, and as you say, these places are cheaper in the winter. In
fact, the region is being promoted as a budget travel destination. See
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3752015/
That's one of the reasons this trip is so attractive. We've talked about
returning to Banff since we were there in the summer of 1993, but I think
we've always assumed that if we did go back, it would be summer again, when
the majestic resort hotels are priced sky-high and we'd probably avoid them
again.

Joe Ramirez

Old January 23rd 04, 04:10 AM
Joe Ramirez

"Daniel Paik" wrote in message

[...]

How do you do toeside falling leaf? Do you stand backward on the slope,
i.e., facing uphill? Or do you just lean over more while facing downhill?

Thanks for the tips,

Joe Ramirez

Old January 23rd 04, 04:28 AM
Joe Ramirez

"paul m" wrote in message

joe, i'm glad to hear that you presevered! buying your own gear *is* a

good
way to commit, and having previously read the soon to be massive

"experience"
thread, thats the one thing that stood out to me.... you and your son just
needing to commit to the whole thing.

I am pleased to report that the "Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven
Springs" thread, with 57 articles so far according to Google, has broken the
rec.skiing.snowboard record for most messages in a thread started by me,
previously held by the "Snowboarding or skiing?" thread with 54. And no
cross-posting to the ski groups!

If I had an hour of snowboarding experience for every message I've posted to
this group, I would be -- to use the vernacular quoted verbatim from the
February issue of Transworld Snowboarding -- "the ill ****."

Joe Ramirez