Vail on the cheap

Old July 18th 03, 12:11 AM
4matic

Default Vail on the cheap

While in the Vail area I'd try Beaver Creek if the conditions are less than
perfect. Vail, imo, is way overrated for what you get. It's a lot like
Whistler where you spend a lot of time traversing.

The only way to save money at Vail is to stay in Denver or Leadville. The
Super 8 in Leadville is less than $50 a night. I'd rent a car and wouldn't
get an AWD unless it's a raging blizzard.

Hevenly: Stay in South Lake Tahoe or Carson City, skip Heavenly and ride at
Kirkwood, Squaw, or Alpine.

"Josh Brown" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for advice on doing a tour next winter of Colorado's best
snowboarding spots and want advice on how to do it on a budget. Vail,
Steamboat, Heavenly, etc... are on my to do list. Any others I need to
consider? My favorite terrain is steep powder bowls leading into
rolling open gladed terrain with drops and hits. freeriding.

Please list places to stay, itineraries, ideas for transportation to
and within the state, and any other info you can provide.

Thanks,

Old July 18th 03, 05:48 AM
TomTom

Why would you want to go to Vail? That's where all the yuppies go.

Steamboat & Heavenly are nice, I'd also suggest Crested Butte.

"Josh Brown" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for advice on doing a tour next winter of Colorado's best
snowboarding spots and want advice on how to do it on a budget. Vail,
Steamboat, Heavenly, etc... are on my to do list. Any others I need to
consider? My favorite terrain is steep powder bowls leading into
rolling open gladed terrain with drops and hits. freeriding.

Please list places to stay, itineraries, ideas for transportation to
and within the state, and any other info you can provide.

Thanks,

---

Old July 18th 03, 03:46 PM
George W. Bush

The terrain just looks awesome... Especially the back bowls and that one
far out area... I like the idea of having mostly intermediate rather than
expert slopes... Especially glades. It lets you just have fun cruising.
I've read in numerous places that the fall lines and terrain at vail are
particularly well suited for snowboarding.

Old July 19th 03, 07:32 PM
Lenette

If you are thinking of going to Lake Tahoe you may want to find out more
about Heavenly. Personally, I don't care to snowboard there at all. There
are an awful lot of flat areas and I found myself traversing quite a bit,
even had to take off my board and walk it in a few spots. Kirkwood is a fun
place to ride and alot of people recommend Alpine, although I haven't tried
it myself. Heavenly also costs the most in the Lake Tahoe area, so the idea
of budgeting will be tough. Right before I go to Tahoe, I usually go into
each mountain's website and always find pretty good specials. Last season, I
discovered that I was even able to ride a few of the mountains for approx.
$22-25 with my season pass from somewhere else through the websites. Good
luck.

L.

Old July 19th 03, 08:06 PM
Sam

"Josh Brown" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for advice on doing a tour next winter of Colorado's best
snowboarding spots and want advice on how to do it on a budget. Vail,
Steamboat, Heavenly, etc... are on my to do list. Any others I need to
consider? My favorite terrain is steep powder bowls leading into
rolling open gladed terrain with drops and hits. freeriding.

Please list places to stay, itineraries, ideas for transportation to
and within the state, and any other info you can provide.

Thanks,

---

I'd go to Wolf Creek! Most snowfall in Colorado, awesome terrain, and
you can stay in Pagosa Springs (cheap!). Only like a 20-30 minute
drive from there to the slopes.
http://www.wolfcreekski.com/
Old July 21st 03, 03:10 AM
George W. Bush

Why are people mentioning Tahoe? Isn't that in California?
Old July 24th 03, 12:15 AM
Dr Bob Holt

Or stay in Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne and get the bus to Vail. Or rent an RV
then you can go where you want.

--
http://www.endlesswinter.co.uk
"When Hell freezes over, I'll snowboard there too"

"Sam" wrote in message
m...

Old July 25th 03, 12:11 AM
Chet Hayes

If you're going to Vail, I suggest staying in Frisco. It's right on
the highway, about 40 mins east of Vail, 10 mins to Coppermountain,
Breckenridge, and Keystone. The Holiday Inn there is nice, has indoor
pool and spa. I stayed there for $65 in JAn, $75 in Mar. That way
you can do several places.

In my opinion, Copper or Breck are equal to or better than Vail.
There are other lodging alternatives in the Frisco/Dillon area too.
And while you're their be sure to check out Gart Sports in Dillon.
They have incredible deals on clothing, gear, etc.

(Frank L Lynn) wrote in message . com...
"George W. Bush" wrote in message .3.44...
The terrain just looks awesome... Especially the back bowls and that one
far out area... I like the idea of having mostly intermediate rather than
expert slopes... Especially glades. It lets you just have fun cruising.
I've read in numerous places that the fall lines and terrain at vail are
particularly well suited for snowboarding.

Why would you want to go to Vail? That's where all the yuppies go.

Steamboat & Heavenly are nice, I'd also suggest Crested Butte.

I also am looking to go to vail, somewhat cheap. Has anybody stayed
in the Apollo Park Lodge? Its on the outskirts of the village, and
its cheaper, but looks like it may be a walk. Is it worth staying in?
I would rather spend a few bucks more and stay in the Vail area, for
my wife. Any other suggestions or recommendations? Also, if we are
going to hang in Vail for the whole time (just 4 or 5 days), do we
need a car from denver, or just take a shuttle? How are the roads, do
you need a 4x4? Thanks in advance.

Tahoe, there are a lot better places than Heavenly. Stay in
south shore, (stateline is fun) and then if the weather is decent,
head over to Kirkwood, or around the lake to Squaw Valley. Heavenly
is good, but way too yuppie.