Adjusting NIS bindings?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 10th 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Morris Keesan

Default Adjusting NIS bindings?

My new skis, bought near the end of last season and skied on only once
(still waiting for sufficient snow here in the northeast), have these
new-fangled "NIS" NNN bindings, which can be user-adjusted, to move the
bindings forward or backward on the skis. I got these, instead of more
conventional bindings, because that's what was available, and my old
skis were desperately in need of replacing. The salesperson couldn't
provide much help in explaining when I would want to move the bindings,
and a web search hasn't come up with anything that I find helpful.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of binding, and any
advice on what I should be paying attention to in order to determine
whether the bindings are in the right place?

It's hard for me to determine what variables are responsible for what
facets of performance here, since these skis are almost 30 years newer
than my old skis, and I'm switching from my dependable old 3-pin bindings
to new NNN bindings. Also, the new skis are noticeably stiffer than the
old skis, and I have a feeling that it will take me a bit of time to figure
out how to wax them properly. The one time I've been out on them I was
having some trouble with my kick, but it was rather warm and I was having
trouble finding the right level of red wax for the day.

I'm a purely recreational skier; I've never raced in my life.

--
Morris Keesan --