Q: Heli-Boarding in Canada

Old March 22nd 04, 07:52 PM
Han Solo

Default Q: Heli-Boarding in Canada

....is a thing a definitly want to do soon.

But which area is the best to go, and can you recommend any companies?
Has anyone of you made some good/worse experiences?

As I would rank me as a good snowboarder, the hills should be challenging,
but not toooo steep...

Han Solo
Old March 22nd 04, 09:37 PM
Banana

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:52:20 +0000 (UTC), Han Solo
wrote:

...is a thing a definitly want to do soon.

But which area is the best to go, and can you recommend any companies?
Has anyone of you made some good/worse experiences?

As I would rank me as a good snowboarder, the hills should be challenging,
but not toooo steep...

Han Solo

the area near Panorama Bc has heli skiing...if i remember the name i
will post it here...

Old March 23rd 04, 01:48 PM
Si

Default Heli-Boarding in Canada

"Han Solo" wrote in message
.8...
...is a thing a definitly want to do soon.

But which area is the best to go, and can you recommend any companies?
Has anyone of you made some good/worse experiences?

As I would rank me as a good snowboarder, the hills should be challenging,
but not toooo steep...

Han Solo

RK Heli is based in Panorama BC

www.skipanorama.com

Si

Old March 23rd 04, 08:15 PM
Bert Root

Prior to the stampede Han Solo tryped

But which area is the best to go, and can you recommend any companies?
Has anyone of you made some good/worse experiences?

I went to Panorama in January and a guy I met there went Heli Boarding twice
with RK HeliSki and loved both trips. One was a three run 'beginner' heli
ski trip and the other one was more technical doing five drops. He said he
was ripping up the skiers on the first three dropper the five drop was a lot
more difficult and smoe of them were waiting for him at the bottom. Rave
reviews from everybody I spoke to who did it but you'd better get a move on
as the end of the season is coming.

www.panoramaresort.com

--
((((º Bert Root® º))))

Old March 23rd 04, 10:46 PM
Stephen B

.8...

http://www.canadianmountainholidays..../snowboarding/

Old March 27th 04, 03:47 PM
phil

But which area is the best to go, and can you recommend any companies?
Has anyone of you made some good/worse experiences?

It depends what you're after. Unless you're a hot-shot then you're
probably best starting at a resort based place; you don't want to find
yourself in the middle of nowhere for a week if you can't hack it. The
catch with resort-based stuff is that it does tend to attract
beginners, and you don't get much vertical (5 runs is very slow, you'd
expect at least twice that at a back-country operation).

Some info & pictures about Canadian heli-boarding he
http://www.wigglesworld.klebos.com/s...oard/index.htm
Old March 30th 04, 03:33 PM
phil

[...] IIR, these resort based operations ask
customers what kind of runs they do on the hill. If people say they're
comfortable on blacks, they get put into the advanced group - despite the
fact that they may have very little powder experience.

The easiest discriminator is experience: either you've done it before
or you haven't. If you came back for more then you're probably
reasonably competent, plus they have records of your vertical. Some
operators score 80% repeat visitors, so that's most of the problem
sorted.

As for the rest the operator will start out on something with few
trees and fairly flat. All it takes is one turn to know if someone's
going to be ok or not. The guides watch those first turns very
carefully, then shuffle people about as required.

It usually works out, although if you become especially good then you
end up renting your own helicopter (and hence picking your own crew)
as there is still a wide range of expertise.

Canada this winter... where to? Serena Snowboarding 14 October 5th 04 12:26 AM
Pain in left forearm after starting boarding Ralph Kent Snowboarding 14 April 2nd 04 02:53 PM
Advice wanted on spending a season in Canada... Ray Snowboarding 12 February 10th 04 08:40 AM
Canada Heliski nico General 1 December 5th 03 04:56 AM
Canada! Barney Snowboarding 10 August 8th 03 09:18 PM