90 degree or 1 degree bevel ?

Old February 13th 05, 11:31 AM
Ron - NY

Default 90 degree or 1 degree bevel ?

As far as I know my K2 ( axis ) skis came with a 1 degree bevel from the
factory . The place I bring my skis to puts a 90 degree bevel . I can't
honestly say I noticed a difference . What is the difference ? Should I
leave them on 90 or 1 ? If it matters I ski mostly in the Vermont area and
ski pretty hard and aggressive .
Ron

Old February 13th 05, 11:55 AM
Mary Malmros

Ron - NY wrote:

As far as I know my K2 ( axis ) skis came with a 1 degree bevel from the
factory . The place I bring my skis to puts a 90 degree bevel . I can't
honestly say I noticed a difference . What is the difference ?

One degree.

Sorry, you walked into that one. If you didn't notice a difference,
then functionally, there isn't one.

Should I
leave them on 90 or 1 ? If it matters I ski mostly in the Vermont area and
ski pretty hard and aggressive .

If you didn't notice a difference, why would you change them back?

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.

Old February 13th 05, 01:34 PM
Ron - NY

Listen Mary , if your going to confuse the issue with logic and reasoning
then I'll get confused . This is a perfect example of why I don't understand
women ! :-)
Ron

Old February 13th 05, 01:53 PM
Mary Malmros

Ron - NY wrote:

Listen Mary , if your going to confuse the issue with logic and reasoning
then I'll get confused . This is a perfect example of why I don't understand
women ! :-)

Sorry ;-)

I guess the only issue is whether the work was done well, and how well
you feel it skis relative to how it was before. If you don't like it,
I'd change it back, which isn't hard -- a file and a tool that will give
you a 1 degree bevel. If you don't notice a difference, I wouldn't
change it, because you'll be shaving off more edge than you need to.

Was it the base bevel or the side bevel, BTW? I use a 1 degree base and
3 degree side myself.

Old February 13th 05, 10:51 PM
lal_truckee

Ron - NY wrote:
As far as I know my K2 ( axis ) skis came with a 1 degree bevel from the
factory . The place I bring my skis to puts a 90 degree bevel . I can't
honestly say I noticed a difference . What is the difference ? Should I
leave them on 90 or 1 ? If it matters I ski mostly in the Vermont area and
ski pretty hard and aggressive .

Possibly the 1 deg is base bevel - it's usually only a degree or
sometimes a trifle more.

90 deg sounds like the side bevel, not a base bevel.

Usually the side bevel will be at least right angles to the base bevel -
right angle is 90 deg, so maybe that's what they meant. If so, and the
base was 1 deg, they are wrong - you want at least right angle which
would be 91 or 1 deg side depending on communications foulups.

Some skiers, particularly those who race and/or ski icy conditions, will
want to go acute - greater than right angles. I usually specify flat (no
deliberate base bevel) and 1 degree acute side. If you don't specify
carefully it's easy to get you and/or the shop confused, so spell out
what you want.
Old February 14th 05, 01:08 AM
ant

"Ron - NY" wrote in message
As far as I know my K2 ( axis ) skis came with a 1 degree bevel from the
factory . The place I bring my skis to puts a 90 degree bevel . I can't
honestly say I noticed a difference . What is the difference ? Should I
leave them on 90 or 1 ? If it matters I ski mostly in the Vermont area and
ski pretty hard and aggressive .

Lucky you. I experienced a 1 and 1 on my midfats, and they were almost
unskiable on hard snow. (they should have a 1 base 2 side). If you can ski
on a zero bevel, it'll make tuning much easier.

ant

Old February 14th 05, 10:38 AM
Mary Malmros

ant wrote:

"Ron - NY" wrote in message

As far as I know my K2 ( axis ) skis came with a 1 degree bevel from the
factory . The place I bring my skis to puts a 90 degree bevel . I can't
honestly say I noticed a difference . What is the difference ? Should I
leave them on 90 or 1 ? If it matters I ski mostly in the Vermont area and
ski pretty hard and aggressive .

Lucky you. I experienced a 1 and 1 on my midfats, and they were almost
unskiable on hard snow. (they should have a 1 base 2 side). If you can ski
on a zero bevel, it'll make tuning much easier.

Tuning is just as easy with a 2 side or 3 side or whatever, provided you
have the right tools. Check out Tognar or somewhere like that -- there
are plenty of ways of dealing with this.

Old February 14th 05, 06:26 PM
TexasSkiNut

Keep in mind that switching bevel angles will require more edge
material being removed. If you switched each time you had them tuned,
pretty soon there'd be no edge left. Best to find whichever angle
works best for you and stick with it.

Old February 14th 05, 08:12 PM
rosco

Ron - NY wrote:

As far as I know my K2 ( axis ) skis came with a 1 degree bevel from the
factory . The place I bring my skis to puts a 90 degree bevel . I can't
honestly say I noticed a difference . What is the difference ? Should I
leave them on 90 or 1 ? If it matters I ski mostly in the Vermont area and
ski pretty hard and aggressive .
Ron

The bevel is to keep the ski from being too squirrelly. I tune mine to
2 degrees bevel. The last time I got my AP skis ground, they tuned
them to 1 degree and I found them to be a bit out of control until I
retuned them to 2. Personal preference but it works for me.
Essentially, the 1 or 2 degrees bevel keeps the ski from engaging the
edge until it is rolled a bit further on edge than it would with a
straight 0 (90) degree tune. It gives you a bit larger margin of error.
If I were skiing east coast, I might re-think this.

RAC

Old February 14th 05, 08:40 PM
Ron - NY

The bevel is to keep the ski from being too squirrelly. I tune mine to
2 degrees bevel. The last time I got my AP skis ground, they tuned them
to 1 degree and I found them to be a bit out of control until I retuned
them to 2. Personal preference but it works for me. Essentially, the 1 or
2 degrees bevel keeps the ski from engaging the edge until it is rolled a
bit further on edge than it would with a straight 0 (90) degree tune. It
gives you a bit larger margin of error. If I were skiing east coast, I
might re-think this.

RAC

I wish I could remember whether I felt a difference or not but I wasn't
paying attention at the time . Just to make sure , you think the 1 degree
bevel is better for the N.E or the 90 ?
thanx