technique is wrong or ski size is wrong: could you please help?

Old January 19th 04, 08:21 PM
S. S.

Default technique is wrong or ski size is wrong: could you please help?

I am a beginner of XC skiing, so appreciate if you could help. When I
weight on one ski (say, my left one), and push/kick my right leg, many
times I feel that the left one won't grip the snow. In stead, it slips
backwards. It happens even in the flat field. I am using a pair of
mid-size Fischer. I am about 6 feet with slightly below average
weight. The skis are just a little bit longer than my height and seem
quite narrow. Do you think there is anything obvious wrong with either
my technique or the skis based on my description. Thank you!

SS
Old January 20th 04, 02:45 AM
GR

Your description is a little confusing; it doesn't seem to say what should
be;
your whole weight is on the ski you are kicking with.
But if that is not the problem, a ski that is too stiff will still kick ok
if you kick down hard enough, but it is quite tiring.
Are you using wax or waxless type skis?
When kicking down, imagine that you need to drive a nail straight down into
the snow with your heel.
With the cold weather you may have dry powder snow, which does not grip
waxless skis very well if it is not compacted, so that may be part of it.
gr
om...

Old January 20th 04, 06:59 AM
Janne G

"S. S." wrote:

I am a beginner of XC skiing, so appreciate if you could help. When I
weight on one ski (say, my left one), and push/kick my right leg, many
times I feel that the left one won't grip the snow. In stead, it slips
backwards. It happens even in the flat field. I am using a pair of
mid-size Fischer. I am about 6 feet with slightly below average
weight. The skis are just a little bit longer than my height and seem
quite narrow. Do you think there is anything obvious wrong with either
my technique or the skis based on my description. Thank you!

Slow down the tempo so you are shure that you have tranfered your
weight to either side and by that ensure that you have grip when kicking.
Don't use your poles to make you stand up right, use them to propel
your self forward. Hard for the balance but it comes with training.

--

Forward in all directions

Janne G