US skiers

Old December 4th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Default US skiers

Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.
Old December 4th 11, 10:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Dec 4, 2:44*pm, down_hill wrote:
Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.

Dumb****, no one ever has given a **** about ski racing here. Ever.
Even before the terrorists turned this place into a sewer.
Now go spank it to your Vonn poster.
Old December 4th 11, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 4, 2:44*pm, down_hill wrote:
Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.

I don't know why any ski area would sponsor big downhill races. It
interferes with the regular customers and is impossible to watch
except by coverage with multiple TV cameras.
Old December 4th 11, 11:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 4, 2:44 pm, wrote:
Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.

I don't know why any ski area would sponsor big downhill races. It
interferes with the regular customers and is impossible to watch
except by coverage with multiple TV cameras.

tradition
Also much like a Formula 1 race or a road race like watkins glen it is
better to watch on TV. But unless you are part of the circus F1 or world
cup you really miss the scene, if you are paying for grandstand tickets
you see a bit of it. If you are the owner of good credentials like
corner worker/gate judge or pit crew or hospitality guest you are part
of something hard to describe.
I would imagine that a world cup paralyzes an area much like a F1 race
would but the income that happens to the region is a good thing. There
are things in this world that participation really makes it worthwhile.
Plus it is great PR for the site

We all get interfered on when we try to reach the masses and things get
popular, the NYC marathon is a total pain in the butt I could not get
get to my building on race day.

In 2013 there will be a F1 race in NJ across from manhatten I am betting
on a weeks worth of cluster f**k traffic. I am hoping to be in other
part of country working a race, if we run in that event I am going to
rent a motor home because getting in and out will just not happen. I did
the F1 event in Detroit running a super vee car, that was a week to
remember.
Old December 5th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 4, 4:58*pm, down_hill wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 4, 2:44 pm, *wrote:
[...]

When I was in high school, I helped out at the high school state meet
that was held at our school that year. I stood by the side of the ski
jump runout to help mark jump lengths, tended a gate in the GS event,
sat on a stump in the woods and marked off on a list all the cross-
country runners who came by my station, and served on the team-
standings calculation cross-check team (the officials used an electric
calculating machine, we used pencil and paper). Except for the last,
all I remember of them is being cold.

Old December 5th 11, 03:09 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Dec 4, 4:53*pm, Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 4, 2:44*pm, down_hill wrote:

Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.

I don't know why any ski area would sponsor big downhill races. *It
interferes with the regular customers and is impossible to watch
except by coverage with multiple TV cameras.

While I prefer to watch them on TV, I have been to races of all of the
disciplines. That is fun too. Different, and you might not see the
whole thing. But the sensation of speed is much greater and the sounds
more dramatic.
Old December 5th 11, 03:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
When I was in high school, I helped out at the high school state meet
that was held at our school that year. I stood by the side of the ski
jump runout to help mark jump lengths, tended a gate in the GS event,
sat on a stump in the woods and marked off on a list all the cross-
country runners who came by my station, and served on the team-
standings calculation cross-check team (the officials used an electric
calculating machine, we used pencil and paper). Except for the last,
all I remember of them is being cold.

It is a little different if you get to interact with Paul Newman, Gene
Hackman & that guy from airplane spoof movies richard hayes. Gave tom
cruise a hard time every chance, walter payton was a real nice guy ran
GT1 for a few years. You do not get to pick and choose the weather
either and it makes for great times at the free beer after the event.
Being a participant is more fun than sitting on a couch.
Old December 5th 11, 04:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Dec 4, 8:14*pm, down_hill wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

In a high school meet, you work with players before they are famous,
although the really hot skiers get scholarships to ski schools like
Holderness or Carrabassett Valley and never show up at public school
races.
Old December 5th 11, 01:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
down_hill

Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 4, 8:14 pm, wrote:
Richard Henry wrote:
[...]

High school meets rarely draw the same number of people as say a world
cup race or a F1 race, I do not use a Indy car race because you could
point to many empty stands.
It is a different world with the spectators you draw and the social
scene and if you have the right credentials you do not feel like
processed meat as you get moved with the masses.
Old December 5th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 12/4/11 3:53 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Dec 4, 2:44 pm, wrote:
Did pretty well this weekend.
Miller's win was a surprise.

I don't know why any ski area would sponsor big downhill races. It
interferes with the regular customers and is impossible to watch
except by coverage with multiple TV cameras.

I like the WC - best skiing, best skiers.
But the old dual course pro format was more spectator friendly, and
easier on the resort, but limited to essentially slalom.

VT skiers down_hill Alpine Skiing 145 September 26th 11 07:25 PM
Skiers in NC? bigsphinx Nordic Skiing 0 January 23rd 11 03:00 PM
Why no US skiers in TdS? Jeff Potter (of OutYourBackdoor.com) Nordic Skiing 12 January 10th 08 02:21 PM
Recommendations for mixed groups, skiers and non-skiers ? John Owens European Ski Resorts 0 July 11th 05 11:47 AM
Why don't more skiers use RSN? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 36 December 3rd 03 02:49 AM