skis, poles, etc., as checked luggage

Old December 2nd 05, 04:35 PM

Default skis, poles, etc., as checked luggage

Does anyone have any tips regarding travelling with skis, poles, etc. as
checked luggage on the airlines? Do you recommend a hard-shell case or
soft bag? Have your skis or poles ever been damaged or broken? Any
packing tips?

Thanks
Old December 2nd 05, 05:13 PM

I haven't used a hard shell case yet, but have been thinking of it
recently. I'd have to say though that I've traveled as far as Norway
with the soft bags as well as many domestic flights, and haven't had a
problem. I've always packed my poles in either a cardboard tube
(available from carpet stores) or more recently, I happen to have an
adjustable length fishing rod case that is perfect for a pair of poles.
Before I got the tube, or if I'm traveling with a lot of gear (e.g.
w/ family), I tape a bunch of poles together - a bundle is very strong
compared to the same poles loose. That tube (cardboard or rod case)
not only protects the poles but adds
a lot of "structure" to the overall ski bag. I also wrap clothing
around the skis. To me, assuming the bag stays in tact, the only
vulnerable parts are the poles (protected by tube) and the ski tips. I
pay particular attention to the tips when packing with clothing. I
also strap the poles or pole tube to the skis in such a way to protect
the tips if possible.

Camilo

Old December 2nd 05, 06:09 PM

This was just discussed on Madnorski's email list. Although ski bags
get thrown around by loaders on some or most airlines, a good quality
ski bag with clothes and towels tied around at least tips and tails and
midpoints of skis and poles has worked for me several times. Foam
tubes from the hardware store also help protect poles. Putting a
strip or two of "Fragile" tape around the bag doesn't hurt, just as
long as it doesn't prevent security from opening it. Theft (lock) is
apparently not a common problem with cross country gear, since there's
not much of a market for it and if airport personnel even know
what it is, they aren't likely to be interested. For me, an important
consideration has been the choice of airline. For a Twin Cities
company, it's amazing how much trouble Northwest is re weight and
number of bags (until one looks at their other practices). I've found
most other airlines to be more receptive of skiers. To minimize
hassles, check the bag on the sidewalk, if possible, and tip the
attendant.

Gene

Old December 2nd 05, 07:03 PM

I use a big hard shell case (sport tube I think) with an exel pole
carrier INSIDE. I can get 3 pair of skis and 3 pair of poles in there.
Regardless, I've had skis broken in a hard shell case....it doesn't
seem from what I've read over the years that hard shell vs. ski bag
with towels/clothes really makes a difference. I just do it because a
hard shell seems like better protection.

Regarding locks - when I went to Norway a couple of years ago I flew
out of Newark and had the padlock on the hard shell case - and TSA cut
into the case to remove the lock and get inside. You can leave the
padlock open, but still holding the two pieces of the case together, so
do that when you check in.

bt

Old December 2nd 05, 07:32 PM

Gene Goldenfeld wrote:
.....For me, an important
consideration has been the choice of airline. For a Twin Cities
company, it's amazing how much trouble Northwest is re weight and
number of bags (until one looks at their other practices). I've found
most other airlines to be more receptive of skiers. To minimize
hassles, check the bag on the sidewalk, if possible, and tip the
attendant.

Gene (and all): nowadays do you really think different airlines are
more likely to accept overweight or excess # of bags without charging
you?

I've found that since 9-11, and the later change from 70 to 50 lbs,
that every airline I've dealt with has been much more rigid in both
weight and # of checked bags.

I personally don't think it had anything to do with 9-11 except it gave
the airlines a PR opportunity to become much more rigid seemingly
because of security, not $$.

But bottom line is - it was often ("usually" but not "always") possible
to check an extra bag (total of 3) without charge if there was sports
gear involved. I rarely got charged for the ski bag, golf bag, rod
case, gun case, etc. in the past. Sometimes, yes, but very, very
rarely.

In the past few years, I have not encountered one single airline, nor
one single instance that they let a 3rd checked bag go through without
charging.

The only time it works is if you have a maximum size carry on (e.g. a
large-ish rolling carryon bag) and they have to gate check it. I've
used that strategy: Check two bags (one being a gun or skis or such)
and pack the maximum amount of stuff into the largest bag that can
plausibly be viewed as a carryon. Then when I get to the gate or
plane, I ask them to gate check it because "I can't find a place on the
plane it will fit". I have a rolling carryon that holds a lot - but is
theoretically within the size limits. If I over pack it (it's
expandable), it still appears to be a legitimate carry on, but won't
fit under the seat or in overhead. I then can gate check it with
impunity and not have to schlep it through airports when I change
planes. (I also carry my purse.. er, backpack...for the stuff I need to
keep with me.

Old December 3rd 05, 01:55 AM

You may be right about the bags - and do have a good idea. I took
American and America West last season and didn't have problems. I
just recall that when all the other majors and minors were welcoming ski
bags + two others, NW was hassling about it.

Gene

Old December 3rd 05, 08:06 PM

Many, many, years ago I once put race skis and poles into a clear industrial polythene sleeve and taped the ends.
I put Fragile labels in places, Do not bend, Keep on top etc.
I handed the package personally to the boss luggage handler with an explanation as to why and I got reassurances from everyone in the office that my needs would be respected.

Sitting on the plane I was over the luggage loading entry and I watched the luggage trailers arrive and there was my precious skis on the top.
They got flung in first and all the heavy luggage went on the top.
At the destination my skis on top of the trailer and were first onto the conveyor belt.
Mike
Old December 4th 05, 08:45 PM

I currently use a hard case but in the past have had good luck using a
soft ski bag into which I inserted an uninflated thermarest pad(full
length). After placing skis and poles in the bag and partially zipping
it up I would open the valve on the thermarest which would then inflate

Old December 5th 05, 01:44 PM

There's some good advice on the Cross Country Ski World website,
especially about avoiding any volatile hydrocarbon ski wax remover
residue on skis, bags, and tuning equipment, which is detected by the
screening sensors as a possible explosive or incindiary substance.
Also good info there about labeling ski waxes with manufacturer product
info sheets, packing skis, tips regarding specific airlines, etc.

Randy