A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Alpine Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ski gear cleanout

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 28th 16, 11:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster

Default Ski gear cleanout

Today I sorted out my ski tool box. I kept everything that was in there, even the generic screwdrivers and such, but I took out the ball of twine, a hammer and a set of sheet-metal cutters(??).

Since we have moved to a smaller space and I can't keep everything forever any more, I have cut down on the amount of gear I am keeping. Gone are all the unused skis, boots, poles, small parkas, singleton gloves and torn hats. I am keeping the 1997 192 cm Rossignols and the $20 Salvation Army Atomics, my least-bent set of poles, the boots I bought at the consignment shop in Truckee (and which I refurbished a while back by sewing new velcro strips onto the top closer straps). I am also keeping an assortment of gloves and hats, 2 different face masks (saved my kids with those once), 2 sets of snowboard pants (where were those when I was a kid in cold-wet Vermont winters?) and my newest parka (from Lands End, of all places). The one-piece suits and ancient bib overalls are going to thrift store purgatory.

The last time I did this was after I went to California in the Navy in 1970.. I bought all new gear out here, but my parents still moved all my old stuff when they downsized themselves in 1987. When they sold that house in 2009, I recommended that they donate my best set to the New England Ski Museum - mid-sixties 208cm Toni Sailer fiberglass downhills with long-thong bindings. I don't know if the museum got them, but I am sure they don't have 2..