alt.skiing sucks and Mt. Baldy?

Old September 20th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
afrinspray

Default alt.skiing sucks and Mt. Baldy?

So alt.skiing sucks... I've been subscribed to that this whole summer
and didn't realize that this newsgroup was the one with some action.

....and has anyone skied Mt. Baldy? I grew up skiing Squaw but now I
live in San Diego and Mt. High and Big Bear are just garbage. Baldy is
cheaper, but how does it compare?

Mike

Old September 20th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

afrinspray wrote:
So alt.skiing sucks... I've been subscribed to that this whole summer
and didn't realize that this newsgroup was the one with some action.

...and has anyone skied Mt. Baldy? I grew up skiing Squaw but now I
live in San Diego and Mt. High and Big Bear are just garbage. Baldy is
cheaper, but how does it compare?

Mike

Uhm, I couldn't fine alt.skiing on my server. I have one
of the better ones, news.individual.net which has more
ng's than my regular isp. Could it be that it sucks because:

1) it really doesn't exist? or

2) very few servers carry it?
Old September 21st 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Purple Moose wrote:

"afrinspray" wrote in news:1158791647.018560.42750
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

...and has anyone skied Mt. Baldy? I grew up skiing Squaw but now I
live in San Diego and Mt. High and Big Bear are just garbage. Baldy is
cheaper, but how does it compare?

I don't think it's cheaper any more. Nothing is, come to think of it.

Baldy is great WHEN there's enough snow. 2000' of vertical. However, the
bottom half is frequently not open due to lack of coverage.

Frequently not open at all for the same reason. I never felt I was good
enough to go there, which is a real shame because it's so close.

Mountain High sucks, but is just bearable if East is open and you can
get a significant discount. Big Bear is OK as long as they claim they
have 24". It's not like we have a hell of a lot of choice here...

Kratka has been closed for quite a while (although in good years there
are a few reports from guys who earned their turns), but the guy who
owns Waterman now wants to get it back running again. That would be
nice -- 45 minutes instead of an hour and a half...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but, frankly,
Old September 21st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

afrinspray wrote:
So alt.skiing sucks... I've been subscribed to that this whole summer
and didn't realize that this newsgroup was the one with some action.

...and has anyone skied Mt. Baldy? I grew up skiing Squaw but now I
live in San Diego and Mt. High and Big Bear are just garbage. Baldy is
cheaper, but how does it compare?

I've skied Mt. Baldy twice: once when it really sucked, and once when
just the bottom sucked-the top was excellent. The second time, I skied
all the way down once to determine the bottom sucked, and then skied
all the way down at the end of the day just because I could.

I tried to got to Baldy once when road was closed due to snow. I
imagine the mountain was probably excellent the day the road opened.

The last time, I went up with my two boys, there was no smow visible
from the parking lot, and there was already a line at the ticket
office. We turned around and went to Snow Valley for the day, which
the boys found really boring.

Old September 21st 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

afrinspray wrote:
[...]

Last time I went to Snow Valley (one of my chains broke and I figured
I'd already blown half a tank of gas...) I turned in my ticket early and
said I was going to sell it in the parking lot for half price. Stupid
cow gave me some static about it -- "That's illegal!" -- so I started
ranting. Eventually she refunded ALL my money. I still figure I got
screwed out of that day.

If they'd cut Highway 39 through to Mountain High, it would make it a
sufficiently shorter drive to be attractive. I wouldn't complain about
the Adventure Pass if they'd use the money to fix that road. I can
carry my own trash out and I can pee behind a tree, but I can't make my
own road. I did know a guy who owned his own road grader, though...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old September 21st 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:
afrinspray wrote:

So alt.skiing sucks... I've been subscribed to that this whole summer
and didn't realize that this newsgroup was the one with some action.

Uhm, I couldn't fine alt.skiing on my server. I have one
of the better ones, news.individual.net which has more
ng's than my regular isp. Could it be that it sucks because:

1) it really doesn't exist? or

2) very few servers carry it?

It sucks because it was deprecated when the alt.skiing.* heirarchy was
split into it's component pieces: .alpine, .nordic, .resorts.*, etc.
about 15 years ago. It's not supposed to exist anymore, but there are
some newsfeeds that still have it hanging around. Stick a fork in it.
It's done.

//Walt
//
// I want the frim fram sauce
// with the afrinspray
// and sfififa on the side
Old October 11th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
afrinspray

A little late, but thanks for all your responses on Baldy. I guess the
season pass is probably a bad idea, but on powder days I'll drive out
there.

Also rec.skiing.alpine rules over the non-existent skeleton,
alt.skiing.

Mike

Old October 13th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Two Buddha

"afrinspray" wrote in message
oups.com...
A little late, but thanks for all your responses on Baldy. I guess the
season pass is probably a bad idea, but on powder days I'll drive out
there.

Also rec.skiing.alpine rules over the non-existent skeleton,
alt.skiing.

Depends on your point of view. Compared to what it used to be, rsa is a
skeleton, a mere shadow of the vibrant and delightful community it once was
before it was taken over by criminals, stalkers, psychopaths, and
pathological liars....not to mention the certifiably mentally ill.
It's a ********. And will stay that way. Get used to it.