Vasaloppet finish

Old March 23rd 05, 12:53 AM
32 degrees

Default Vasaloppet finish

Looking to book a hotel EARLY for vasaloppet 2006.

Preferably a 2 night stay in a hotel or bed/breakfast VERY CLOSE to the
finish line in Mora.
Also, would like it close to train station as we'll take the train from
Stockholm to Mora.

Anyone have the EXACT location where the finish line is?
Or any hotel names right in the area ??

thanks !

let the double poling begin !

Jeff K.

Old March 23rd 05, 10:31 AM
Anders

32 degrees wrote:

Anyone have the EXACT location where the finish line is?

If you google for Mora kommun, you can find the map ("Karta") on which
you can
search for sights ("sev=E4rdheter"), including "Vasaloppsm=E5let".

Or any hotel names right in the area ??

Hotels, too:-)

Anders

Old March 23rd 05, 03:25 PM

32 degrees wrote:

Looking to book a hotel EARLY for vasaloppet 2006.

Preferably a 2 night stay in a hotel or bed/breakfast VERY CLOSE to the
finish line in Mora.

Also, would like it close to train station as we'll take the train from
Stockholm to Mora.

Anyone have the EXACT location where the finish line is?

http://vader.mora.se/
this is a weather picture for mora. it is taken from the top of the mora
church. The finish line is at the end of vasagatan (vasa street)
doing diagonal up tp left past church bell tower. diagonal across from
bell tower is fliesberg sports store.

Or any hotel names right in the area ??

thanks !

let the double poling begin !

don't forget the uphill bounding; for the first 2,5 km takes you 160m,
about the height of a 45 story building, i think. and copnditioning
counts! look at the video. it doesnt tell all. and beg for seedning if
you dont have a low number. there it counts

Jeff K.

go to

Mora

Siljan Turism, Mora Turistbyrå
http://www.siljan.se/
E-post:

http://www.siljan.se/ny2004/eng/index.htm
is in english with descriptions:

all of them are close
mora hotel is closest.
for more than 1 night, suggest mora parken.
I have stayed there but it is 1m5km from finish line and the tracks go
through the front yard

Old March 23rd 05, 10:36 PM
David Dermott

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, 32 degrees wrote:

Looking to book a hotel EARLY for vasaloppet 2006.

Preferably a 2 night stay in a hotel or bed/breakfast VERY CLOSE to the
finish line in Mora.
Also, would like it close to train station as we'll take the train from
Stockholm to Mora.

I've never stayed there, but looking at the STF Vandrarhem (Hostel)
book, there is Målkullann Bed&Breakfast/Hostel at 19 Vasagata, right
next to the finish line (Mål). I imagine they are EXTREMELY busy during
Vasalopp Week, the prices go up that week.

There is a website (I don't see any English version):
http://www.maalkullann.se/

I cycled through Mora in June 1994 and stopped at the
Vasa ski museum (right across from the finish arch). It's all
very close to Mora Centrun and the railway station.

From the WEB site about the name "Mål-kull-ann": The lady that owns the
place is named Ann, she is a real "Kulla" (lady from Dalarna) and the
place is at the "Mål" or finish line.

Someone else mentioned the WEB camera on top of the church,
overlooking centrum and the Vasa finish arch:
http://kamera.mora.se/

There's an archive of the noon photo of every day for the last
several years. Eg. to see the area on Vasa day (Mar 6 2005) at approx 12
noon:

http://kamera.mora.se/arkiv/kyrkan-s_20050306.jpg

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old March 24th 05, 01:29 AM

David Dermott wrote:

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, 32 degrees wrote:

Looking to book a hotel EARLY for vasaloppet 2006.

Preferably a 2 night stay in a hotel or bed/breakfast VERY CLOSE to the
finish line in Mora.

if it is only you and nights before/after, there are places, ie schools,
where you can stay: think hurricane refugee sleeping on blankets on a
hard floor, maybe unless you have pads.

Also, would like it close to train station as we'll take the train from
Stockholm to Mora.

I've never stayed there, but looking at the STF Vandrarhem (Hostel)
book, there is Målkullann Bed&Breakfast/Hostel at 19 Vasagata, right
next to the finish line (Mål). I imagine they are EXTREMELY busy during
Vasalopp Week, the prices go up that week.

I don't know about price changes but I have stayed there in the summer
and it was quite nice. I suspect that you have small chance of booking a
room but you should try now.

For making phone calls to sweden to inquire or book rooms, etc., I
suggest you look for an international plan to give you $0.10 or so per
minute calls. You can do better and if you do nothing, I think will do
much worse. $1/min or more?

In sweden, your us cell phone, unless it is a gsm tri mode phone will
almost certainly not work.

There is a website (I don't see any English version):
http://www.maalkullann.se/

I cycled through Mora in June 1994 and stopped at the
Vasa ski museum (right across from the finish arch). It's all
very close to Mora Centrun and the railway station.

From the WEB site about the name "Mål-kull-ann": The lady that owns the
place is named Ann, she is a real "Kulla" (lady from Dalarna) and the
place is at the "Mål" or finish line.

Someone else mentioned the WEB camera on top of the church,
overlooking centrum and the Vasa finish arch:
http://kamera.mora.se/

There's an archive of the noon photo of every day for the last
several years. Eg. to see the area on Vasa day (Mar 6 2005) at approx 12
noon:

http://kamera.mora.se/arkiv/kyrkan-s_20050306.jpg

at 12:17 was 19 mins after the vasaloppet winner passed; this is about
10 mins before the fist kvinna (woman) came. you can see people on the
tracks

the red 2-story house just to the right of the bell tower top is the
Målkullann Bed&Breakfast/Hostel.

try http://kamera.mora.se/arkiv/kyrkan-s_20050226.jpg
for a view shortly after the winner of the tjejvasan came this yesr.

Old March 24th 05, 04:50 PM
Gary Jacobson

Nope. swedish.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY where we got a good dump and where the BC skiing is nice.