Jackson Hole Sucks

Old January 30th 04, 06:52 AM
BrritSki

Default Jackson Hole Sucks

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
BrritSki wrote:

But less about c*nts.

It's hard enough to get laid in a mountain town without you talking like
that. Where the **** do you think you are? Chamonix?

Non. Si j'y etais j'aurais dit cons.

Old January 30th 04, 07:12 AM
BrritSki

Annoying Former Instructor Guy wrote:

According to my mom, AFSIG needs to lose 20 pounds.

The Bitch.

Yeah, she can't even spell your name right ! Poor AFIG.

Old January 30th 04, 04:25 PM
lal_truckee

Ted Waldron wrote:

Here is a very simple explanation of depth hoar.. (with Quicktime)

http://snowcover.gsfc.nasa.gov/gra/Q...oarForming.mov

How did such videos get on a NASA site? Eugene put them there in a
former life?

Old January 30th 04, 05:02 PM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
You will find a robust discussion of sublimation on pages 47 and 161 in
McClung and Schaerer's _The_Avalanche_Handbook_.

No doubt, because that's how surface hoar forms.

Buried surface hoar is
depth hoar. That's Newcomb's take on it, (Rod, not Mark, albeit the younger
Newcomb shares that contention).

yah think???

From "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain" by Bruce Tremper. (I hope you
know who Bruce Tremper is.):

On page 125

Depth Hoar
----------

Also called: Temperature Gradient (TG) snow (this is an outdated
term), sugar snow, squares, facets, sometimes INCORRECTLY CALLED "HOAR
FROST" BY OLD, RURAL GEEZERS. (emphasis added)

Formed by: Large temperature gradients between the warm ground and the
cold snow surface. Usually requires a thin snowpack combined with a
clear sky or cold air temperature. Grows best at snow temperatures
from -2 to -15 degrees Celsius.

(Notice no mention of the mechanism you contend, buried surface hoar)

Then, on page 135

Surface Hoar
------------

Also called: HOAR FROST, frost, feathers. (emphasis added)

Formed by: clear sky, light to calm wind, humid air.

---------------------------------------

Note, depth hoar IS NOT BURIED SURFACE HOAR, although according to
Bruce Tremper, that mistaken nomenclature is made by old, rural
geezers. Is that you???

Sucrosic is an adjective that describes
loose, unconsolodated crystals as appearing like sugar. I've stuck my
fist in a layer of loose, unconsolodated, snow crystals, buried under hard,
consolidated snow slab.

This is usually called faceted snow... except maybe, by old, rural geezers.

You don't give a **** what the most experienced ski guides say.

Depends on how knowledgable they are.

You don't
give a **** about snow pits.

They have their place, but there are other things that are more
important to backcountry travel safety. When you get out enough and
watch the snow on a daily basis, the pit doesn't tell you a whole lot
you don't already know, especially when you have such a great resource
as the forecast center. I dig plenty of pits when I need to or if it's
a day when the forecast center needs the info. But usually, I just
know where things are going to be safe and go there. If it's
questionable, I usually avoid it. I get out enough that I don't have
to put myself in dangerous situations that I don't already know about
when I walk out the door. That's how you stay alive. You may want to
try it.

You skin into obscurity. Fine. Arrogance
has lead many to ski off into oblivion.

Ohh.. I dunno... Haven't had a problem yet.. after 23 years. Somehow I
keep finding myself on the correct side of the fracture. Coincidence?
I don't believe in coincidence.

Any time you want to demonstrate your obtuse ignorance, I'm more than
happy to avail you the opportunity. Try to have fun klaus.

That's pretty much all I do anymore.. have fun.. You?

Be careful out there, eh? It's more important than having fun.

-klaus

You can't teach Unix to a pig. It only frustrates you, and annoys the
pig.

Old January 30th 04, 05:08 PM
klaus

Bob Lee wrote:
Ted Waldron wrote:

[...]
Some people don't give a **** about Lexan blade snow shovels, (ie
Ortovox) like me, but 99.9% backcountry skiers care about snow pits.

I'm surprised people still make, much less use, plastic shovel blades,
but they seem to persist. I'm sure a metal vs. plastic shovel
discussion could clear the room here. Probably make tm long for a
rousing boot fitting thread.

I think the Lexan blade shovels are great for building kickers.

[...]
Klaus(') love of the Black Diamond Pitbull
binding may have been, uh "sucrotic" IMHO, ...

Good one. I've been trying to think of a way to use "sucrotic" in a
sentence since I first read it, but I always get hung up on the phrase
"sucrotic flesh."

The Pitbull II was a good binding although a bit heavy for it's
time. I never had any problem with mine. I know people who still ski
them and love them. They do have a very sweet feel.

But thanks for not poking me about leather boots. You guys are too
nice.

-klaus

Old January 30th 04, 05:48 PM
Walt

klaus wrote:
------------

Note, depth hoar IS NOT BURIED SURFACE HOAR, although according to
Bruce Tremper, that mistaken nomenclature is made by old, rural
geezers. Is that you???

Hey, watch it. Some of my best friends are old, rural geezers. If you
don't insult them, they might share some of their locker temperature
Pilsner Urquel with you, or let you try their 225cm Atomic DH boards.

You can't teach Unix to a pig. It only frustrates you, and annoys the
pig.

Yeah, teach it Windows. Then you can both be frustrated.

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 30th 04, 06:13 PM
lal_truckee

klaus wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:

You don't
give a **** about snow pits.

CLIP
I dig plenty of pits when I need to or if it's
a day when the forecast center needs the info.

I think you just dig those pits out of boredom whilst waiting for OLD,
RURAL GEEZERS to catch their OLD, RURAL breath.

But come to think of it, I prefer "rustic." Where's my banjo?

Signed: Certified Old Geezer
(hould that be "certifiable?")

Old January 30th 04, 06:20 PM
Walt

Powder 8, anyone?||
Annoying Former I||nstructor Guy wrote:
"Bob Lee" wrote in message
klaus wrot||e||:
|| ||
bdubya wrote:
On 30 \\J||an 2004 00:54:21 GMT, Sven Golly

wrote())
(())
Bob Le(())e wrote in

:
(())
bdub(())ya wrote:
(())
On (())Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:45:40 -0700, Bob Lee

wrote:
(())
Wa(())lt wrote:
(())
(())Bob Lee wrote:
(())
(()) Oooh, can we get a cascade going o this thread? I

think the
(()) circumstances call for it.
(())
N(())o. We'll just send the groomers out to squash it

down.
(())
C'm(())on - it'll be fun! Stop the brutal grooming!
(())
Stop(()) the futile whoooshing!
(())
Stop (())the cutie smooshing!
(())
Stop th(())e pooty doucheing!
(())
Mop the(()) studly drooling!
(())
Hop on th(())e pottie mooching,

(())
Cop the boo(())ty pooching!
\*/\\

Suss the attrib \\poaching!
))

\*/
Drop the line encroaching.

(next time I get to lead, throck.)

According to Blind Willie Jefferson, Annoying Former Ski Instructor
guy
is truly born under a bad sign and has been down sign he began to
crawl

--
//-Walt
//
Old January 30th 04, 06:36 PM
klaus

Walt wrote:
Hey, watch it. Some of my best friends are old, rural geezers.

I've got no problem with old, rural geezers as long as they don't
pretend to be snow science experts, meteorologist, or
gynecologists. Ok.. I take that back.. some of 'em are pretty good
meteorologists. And have cute daughters.

If you
don't insult them, they might share some of their locker temperature
Pilsner Urquel with you, or let you try their 225cm Atomic DH boards.

The beer I'd take, but the skis I'm not sure I could get to the top
of the hill. And they probably have those fixed heel bindings on
them... I can't parallel fer ****.

-klaus

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider Alpine Skiing 0 November 17th 03 04:30 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM