Adjusting Bindings

Old March 6th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Fried

Default Adjusting Bindings

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

Thanx in advance

Alan
Old March 6th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:
I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

Thanx in advance

Alan

Alan,

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that follows
will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Chris

Old March 6th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that follows
will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Yep. It's just that easy. $15 and ten minutes later it's done.

//Walt
Old March 6th 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that follows
will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Yep. It's just that easy. $15 and ten minutes later it's done.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started at the
shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just being overly
cynical....

--
Chris *:-)

Is it possible to be overly cynical?

Old March 6th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

MoonMan wrote:
Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:

Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started at the
shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just being overly
cynical....

The modern binding testing machines are automated and fairly
idiot-proof. Yes, someone can still screw it up if they try hard
enough, but you really don't need a decade of experience to use the
machines. Welcome to the modern world.

That said, the place I get mine tested does not have a high turnover of
employees.

//Walt
Old March 6th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

On Mar 6, 7:52 am, "MoonMan"
wrote:
Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that follows
will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Yep. It's just that easy. $15 and ten minutes later it's done.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started at the
shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just being overly
cynical....

--
Chris *:-)

Is it possible to be overly cynical?

Perhaps I'm not being cynical enough but I would think that if a shop
is charging their young newbie part timer with setting up bindings
unsupervised, they would quickly earn a poor reputation.

Chris

Since you asked, in my book it certainly is possible.

Old March 6th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 6, 7:52 am, "MoonMan"
wrote:
Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
[...]

I'm glad someone thinks so

--
Chris *:-)

Old March 6th 07, 03:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Walt wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:

Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started
at the shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just
being overly cynical....

The modern binding testing machines are automated and fairly
idiot-proof. Yes, someone can still screw it up if they try hard
enough, but you really don't need a decade of experience to use the
machines. Welcome to the modern world.

That said, the place I get mine tested does not have a high turnover
of employees.

With a modern "System" binding, It's not like you can Wreck the ski anymore,
but even before the jigs used for drilling made it pretty difficult to go
wrong.
of course over your side of the pond they always test the bindings don't
they..

Old March 6th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

MoonMan wrote:

With a modern "System" binding, It's not like you can Wreck the ski anymore,
but even before the jigs used for drilling made it pretty difficult to go
wrong.

Now you're talking about mounting the bindings, which is different than
adjusting and testing.

Agreed that the modern system bindings make it easy to mount a binding
on a ski. And before that it was still fairly easy to do with a jig and
a drill press - assuming you had a jig and a drill press.

of course over your side of the pond they always test the bindings don't
they..

Well, yeah. In fact, that's the main reason to take them to a shop - to
actually test the functionality. On the bench instead of with your ACL.

Mounting and adjusting can be DIY with a minimum of tools and a little
bit of knowledge. But how do you know you've got it right? The test
gear, that's how. Proper test gear is expensive, much cheaper to "rent"
the shop's test gear as necessary.

//Walt

Old March 6th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

"MoonMan" wrote in
:

Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that follows
will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Yep. It's just that easy. $15 and ten minutes later it's done.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started
at the shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just
being overly cynical....

You can call him whatever you want, but he has a Winterstieger on his
bench and you don't.