Rossi Din charts

Old October 11th 04, 11:05 PM
Chris

Default Rossi Din charts

Anybody have a link for a din setting chart for some Rossignol power 100
demo bindings? Picked up a nice cheapy pair of cobras with demo's on em. I'm
thinking my old old charts are no longer accurate.

Old October 11th 04, 11:57 PM
Clutch

"Chris" wrote in message
Anybody have a link for a din setting chart for some Rossignol power 100
demo bindings? Picked up a nice cheapy pair of cobras with demo's on em.

I'm
thinking my old old charts are no longer accurate.

Even if your chart is right, the release on the binding may not be. Spend
the $10 and get the binding release checked by your local tech.

Old October 12th 04, 01:52 AM
Walt

Clutch wrote:
"Chris" wrote

Anybody have a link for a din setting chart for some Rossignol power 100
demo bindings? Picked up a nice cheapy pair of cobras with demo's on em.

I'm hinking my old old charts are no longer accurate.

Even if your chart is right, the release on the binding may not be. Spend
the $10 and get the binding release checked by your local tech.

While the DIN charts have changed a little bit, the resulting DIN
setting for a particular skier should be the same as before i.e. if
your DIN was 6 under the old chart, it should be 6 with the new chart.
After all DIN is a standard.

That said, Clutch is right - have the binding adjusted and *tested* by
a qualified technician to ensure that it works right.

I'm fairly certain that Chris doesn't have the proper test equipment
to test whether the binding releases properly at the calculated DIN
setting. I'm also willing to bet that Chris doesn't know how to set
pre-release (aka forward pressure) for the bindings. He's also
probably not aware that if the pre-release is not set correctly, the
binding won't release properly even if the DIN is right. How do I
know these things? Because if Chris was aware of these issues he
wouldn't be posting *here* asking.

IOW, calculating DIN gets you only about 5% of the way to having safe
bindings. Just setting the number on the dial does not verify that it
works, and unless the prerelease is set, DIN doesn't matter.

That said, everybody should know their DIN setting. Here's a site
that shows how to calculate it. Calculate all you want, but take your
bindings to a qualified shop to have them adjusted and tested.

http://home.online.no/~stigbye/skiing/equipment/bindings/DIN-setting-1_step-1.html

--
// Walt
//

Old October 12th 04, 04:58 AM
JQ

"Walt" wrote in message
Clutch wrote:
"Chris" wrote

[...]

http://home.online.no/~stigbye/skiin...setting-1_step
-1.html

--
// Walt
//

Walt, I may be missing something here but what is the pre-release you are
talking about?
I only know about the front and rear din settings...

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 12th 04, 05:11 AM
The Real Bev

JQ wrote:

"Walt" wrote in message
Clutch wrote:
"Chris" wrote

[...]

I interpreted that to mean "forward pressure."

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 12th 04, 01:23 PM
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

Walt, I may be missing something here but what is the pre-release you are
talking about?
I only know about the front and rear din settings...

I interpreted that to mean "forward pressure."

Yes. Pre release is also known as forward pressure. One way to think
of it is the fine tuning control on the boot sole length. The bindings
have to grip the boot fore and aft, and the amount of grip is determined
by the distance between the toe and heel piece. Too loose or too tight
and the bindings won't operate properly even if the DIN is set to the
right number.

Most bindings have an indicator that shows whether the pre release is in
range or not. It's not labelled and can be somewhat hard to find
depending on the model of the binding. That's why I don't recommend
that people adjust their own bindings - it's a crucial setting that most
people don't even know exists.

NOTE: I'm not a ski tech, so I'm probably over simplifying here.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 12th 04, 01:51 PM
JQ

"Walt" wrote in message
The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

[...]

So you are talking about setting the binding to the proper boot length
correct?

Thanks,

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old October 12th 04, 03:00 PM
Walt

JQ wrote:

So you are talking about setting the binding to the proper boot length
correct?

More or less. Some bindings also have a setting for toe height. The
point is the boot has to sit in the binding with the right geometry.
Once it's seated you can adjust the springs (DIN) to provide more or
less retention. But if it's not seated right, the springs won't hold
you in, or they may hold you in when you don't want them to. Ouch.

Adjusting bindings is not exactly rocket science, but it's more
complicated than just turning the screw until the DIN indicator points
to 7 or whatever. Different manufacturers have different methods to
indicate whether the other settings are in range, and even if I knew
what they all were (and I don't) I doubt I could give idiot proof
directions over the internet.

Bottom line: take you bindings to a ski tech. Don't do it yourself
unless you really know what you're doing. And even if you do know what
you're doing, you should have them tested to verify proper operation.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 12th 04, 03:29 PM
jtr

"JQ" wrote in message

"Walt" wrote in message
The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

[...]

Based on my experience with (mainly Atomic) bindings, there may be five
adjustments viz. boot length, front DIN, front toe piece height, rear DIN
and forward pressure (and in some cases being able to move the whole binding
forwards and backward a bit). If you get the instructions that come with
the bindings, then setting up these values is fairly straight forward.
Although I sure that a good technician might do a better job than me, I
would rather trust my setting up than endure some of the "crimes" that I've
had committed against my family by French (as it happens) "experts" when
we've bought new boots in the resort such as screwing the toe height right
down so that there was no clearance (Atomic say it should be 0.5 mm),
setting the DINs +2 too high, screwing up (literally) the forward pressure
etc.

Joe

Old October 12th 04, 04:32 PM
lal_truckee

JQ wrote:

So you are talking about setting the binding to the proper boot length
correct?

No.

He's talking about pre-load, so that the spring is engaged partially.
Ususally it's a sliding indicator on the side of the binding heel. You
adjust the boot length by moving the binding in it's slide track; when
you pop the boot into the binding the heel should move aft slightly so
that the indicator is in the pre-load range as marked on the heel. Too
loose or too tight, the boot will seem to click in properly, but the
release spring won't function correctly.

Every manufacturer is different, and preload is not a DIN defined scale,
so every binding pre-load indicator looks different and is in a
different place. Makes it fun to set your bindings.