Lift pictures?

Old March 26th 04, 12:07 AM
Hookipa

Default Lift pictures?

Do we have to supply our own pictures for multi-day resort passes in France?
New to the euro ski scene!

Old March 26th 04, 06:43 AM
lcopps

There are almost always a photo booth near by. All you need is a few
Euros. At Val D'Isere, they have a photo booth next to the lift ticket
counter.

Old March 26th 04, 07:58 AM
Ace

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:07:04 GMT, "Hookipa" wrote:

Do we have to supply our own pictures for multi-day resort passes in France?
New to the euro ski scene!

Very much depends where you are, but in general yes, the French
resorts have been slow to adopt the electronic passes that can stay in
your pocket and many still use photo passes.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old March 26th 04, 04:29 PM
Carl_M

Ace wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 01:07:04 GMT, "Hookipa" wrote:

Do we have to supply our own pictures for multi-day resort passes in France?
New to the euro ski scene!

Very much depends where you are, but in general yes, the French
resorts have been slow to adopt the electronic passes that can stay in
your pocket and many still use photo passes.

I would say wary of the electronic passes rather than slow. They want
to ensure that people don't buy a pass and then lend it to others when
they don't want to / can't ski. An the extreme tour operators could
buy season passes and hire them out to all their clients. I would
expect that even if electronic passes are introduced they would still
have photos and be subject to random checks (or at every lift in the
village).

Photo machines are generally more expensive in the Alps and many
resorts don't have them (to keep up the profits of the resort
photographer) so it is best to take your own.
Old March 26th 04, 07:10 PM
Ian Spare

Carl_M wrote:

I would say wary of the electronic passes rather than slow. They want
to ensure that people don't buy a pass and then lend it to others when
they don't want to / can't ski. An the extreme tour operators could
buy season passes and hire them out to all their clients. I would

And that's your problem how ? You own a lift station ?

expect that even if electronic passes are introduced they would still
have photos and be subject to random checks (or at every lift in the
village).

You'd be wrong then.

Photo machines are generally more expensive in the Alps and many
resorts don't have them (to keep up the profits of the resort
photographer) so it is best to take your own.

pah... those dumb foreign schmucks eh ? So dumb they can't even put a
photo machine near the lift office, they'll be kicking themselves they
never thought of that.

Ian
Old March 27th 04, 09:11 AM
Edi

Now now children...

Porte de Soleil use electronic passes (Morzine Avoriaz etc). Elsewhere I
have only seen photo passes but there does not seem to be a shortage of
photo booths. They always seem to have them in ticket office or nearby. I
don't know about resort photographers taking passport photos... but there
was a marauding photographer and Pere Noel (Santa for fellow Scots) in
Valmorel on Xmas Eve charging a healthy fee to get pix taken with the kids.

All the best,

Edi

Old March 27th 04, 03:50 PM
PG

"Edi" wrote in message
| Now now children...
|
| Porte de Soleil use electronic passes (Morzine Avoriaz etc).
Elsewhere I
| have only seen photo passes but there does not seem to be a shortage
of
| photo booths. They always seem to have them in ticket office or
nearby. I
| don't know about resort photographers taking passport photos... but
there
| was a marauding photographer and Pere Noel (Santa for fellow Scots) in
| Valmorel on Xmas Eve charging a healthy fee to get pix taken with the
kids.

As do Chamrousse, Orcières Merlette, Saint Gervais, Les Orres, and
numerous others I can't recall right now.... I thought they were going
to introduce it in les Arcs as well this year.... maybe in time for
2004/5.

There is invariably a photo booth in the lift and/or tourist office.

Pete
www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old March 27th 04, 06:05 PM
Ian Spare

PG wrote:
"Edi" wrote in message
| Now now children...
|
| Porte de Soleil use electronic passes (Morzine Avoriaz etc).
Elsewhere I
| have only seen photo passes but there does not seem to be a shortage
of
| photo booths. They always seem to have them in ticket office or
nearby. I
| don't know about resort photographers taking passport photos... but
there
| was a marauding photographer and Pere Noel (Santa for fellow Scots) in
| Valmorel on Xmas Eve charging a healthy fee to get pix taken with the
kids.

As do Chamrousse, Orcières Merlette, Saint Gervais, Les Orres, and
numerous others I can't recall right now.... I thought they were going
to introduce it in les Arcs as well this year.... maybe in time for
2004/5.

Grand Massif as of this season, and we'll stick to France it'd take too
long if we started on Switzerland and Austria. It's slated for the
Espace Killy as well.

If I'd had to take a blind guess based on nothing whatsoever then I'd
have thought they'd keep photo's. So I've been surprised to find they
don't bother, with hindsight that makes sense since it defeats the object.

Going on the Grand Massif they keep photo's for the season passes but
I'd naturally hesitate to make a sweeping generalization based on one
station.

There is invariably a photo booth in the lift and/or tourist office.

Of course, and since they're often franchised then quite a few ski hire
place have them.
Old March 29th 04, 07:27 AM
MoonMan

Ian Spare wrote:
Carl_M wrote:

I would say wary of the electronic passes rather than slow. They
want to ensure that people don't buy a pass and then lend it to
others when they don't want to / can't ski. An the extreme tour
operators could buy season passes and hire them out to all their
clients. I would

And that's your problem how ? You own a lift station ?

expect that even if electronic passes are introduced they would still
have photos and be subject to random checks (or at every lift in the
village).

You'd be wrong then.

They're using RFID tags in Megeve, but the passes have a photo on
them.Actually I was impressed, they take your photo, scan it and give it
back. then print a B/W version on the lift pass. They must be able to wash
the ink off too, because there is a deposit on the card.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old March 29th 04, 09:01 AM
Ian Spare

MoonMan wrote:

Ian Spare wrote:

Carl_M wrote:

I would say wary of the electronic passes rather than slow. They
want to ensure that people don't buy a pass and then lend it to
others when they don't want to / can't ski. An the extreme tour
operators could buy season passes and hire them out to all their
clients. I would

And that's your problem how ? You own a lift station ?

expect that even if electronic passes are introduced they would still
have photos and be subject to random checks (or at every lift in the
village).

You'd be wrong then.

They're using RFID tags in Megeve, but the passes have a photo on
them.Actually I was impressed, they take your photo, scan it and give it
back. then print a B/W version on the lift pass. They must be able to wash
the ink off too, because there is a deposit on the card.

Quite right, but in Megeve they don't seem to have random checks and
other stations using the same technology have given up photo's altogether.