Ski Speedometer

Old January 19th 06, 02:14 PM

In message .com
"fat_boy" wrote:

I like going quick. And this question arose about exactly how fast one
does ski, and is it close to our guesses.

There is no need to turn this discussion into something it isnt.

As an alternative to using a GPS you can estimate skiing velocity using
a Suunto S6 wrist top computer. This has an inbuilt inclinometer and a
barometric altimeter. Providing you get the average slope angle for your
run, you will get an estimate of average velocity.

--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old January 19th 06, 02:17 PM

In message . com
"fat_boy" wrote:

You're clearly out of touch with modern GPS devices. I have a Geko301
which includes data for both barometric and GPS altimeter and can do
auto correction of one by the other over time. The software in the
device also includes algorithms to calculate things such as glide ratio,
average rate of descent and also average rate of ascent, primarily
designed for aerial pursuits such as parachuting and paragliding but it
would also allow the read out of a ski descent.

So some can and some cant. We have already discovered that.

All GPSs that I am aware of give a 3D fix if there are sufficient
satellites in view. If you analyse the tracklog from any of them you
should be able to do a velocity estimate.

Some GPSs also provide an additional barometric altimeter which can be
used to smooth out the larger errors involved in estimating altitude.

Old January 19th 06, 02:20 PM

On 19 Jan 2006 06:07:50 -0800, "fat_boy" wrote:

Do you get off on displaying your ignorance to the world?

You fücking prick.

That's a big "yes", then.
--
Champ
Old January 19th 06, 02:20 PM

On 19 Jan 2006 06:04:49 -0800, "fat_boy" wrote:

There is no need to turn this discussion into something it isnt.

You've not spent much time on usenet, have you?
--
Champ
Old January 19th 06, 02:33 PM

On 19 Jan 2006 06:07:50 -0800, "fat_boy" wrote:

Do you get off on displaying your ignorance to the world?

You fücking prick.

So you're unpleasant as well as ignorant. Hardly to be surprised at, I
suppose.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 19th 06, 02:43 PM

Hi

So you're unpleasant as well as ignorant. Hardly to be surprised at, I
suppose.

Wasn't it Mr fat_boy who thought "just don't care for technique in deep
snow" is a good concept for offpisteskiing. I assume, he will solve the
discrepancy between all others and him self on the next rock soon.

Florian
Old January 19th 06, 02:58 PM

Come on - don't let this degenerate through the use of profanities.

Remember that there is always the person filters that one can use to block
contributors if you are using IE6

Angus

Hi

Old January 19th 06, 04:11 PM

damn, so sharp

Old January 19th 06, 04:12 PM

unpleasant, yes, ignorant? what have you got in mind to be ignorant
of?

the sad mentality of people who call them selves 'ace' and 'champ'?

Old January 19th 06, 04:17 PM

Go and read the origional post, then write what I wrote.