Colorado snowfall so far this year

Old February 4th 15, 01:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Colorado snowfall so far this year

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:47:28 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote this crap:

On 02/02/2015 08:33 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/02/2015 05:11 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 7:37:34 AM UTC-8,
wrote:
Anyone know if the snowfall so far this year is "normal" in Summit
County, CO?

from a water/snowpack point of view -

http://graphs.water-data.com/ucsnowpack/

California snow is way below average, continuing the drought -

I don't remember it ever being "average" or "above average" here.
Granted, I was an English major, but it still seems like something is
wrong here.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/PLOT_SWC

The expected El Nino patter has meant a lot of storms for the 2 BCs
(Baja California and British Columbia) but darned little where it
counts.

Too slushy too early to spend the time/gas (even at today's prices) for
a couple of hours. I've gone 5 times this season. One excellent, two
miserable, one sucky and two meh.

Proof that I was an English major. Delete one "sucky".

Wuss, I was a math major. Anyone can learn English.

Old February 4th 15, 07:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
On 2/2/15 8:33 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
I've gone 5 times this season. One excellent, two miserable, one
sucky and two meh.

(That's six...)

I've got about 15 days, not very interesting days; not enough natural
to support off-piste. But snow-making has kept the groomers open with
good coverage top to bottom and skiing is there.

It's interesting that the rank and file, who only ski the groomers
anyway, are the ones claiming hysterically NO SNOW while the rest of
us practice our carves and slalom turns while awaiting the
dissipation of the off-shore high.

It's been a horrible season so far up here near Seattle too, but I've had 13 fun
days. When everything is frozen, I stay on the groomers and work on carving, and
when we get a little new snow, the off-piste may be a challenge, but I can have
great fun taking it on. Yesterday was a tiny bit of new at the top on heavily
rained on old snow. I had perhaps my best day yet on linking turns through that
crusty heavy surface.

I am really impressed by how well the grooming staff can keep the mountain
going. They've been doing an incredible job of keeping the rocks covered, and
the groomed runs usable. This, of course, in an area without the option of
snowmaking due to the normally warm temps.

Unfortunately, our forcasts currently show heavy rain for the next week. But
then again, we started last year pretty slow, and mid February started the best
powder spell I can remember. I'll keep hoping our temperature will drop that few
degrees we need to make the switch. And, I'll keep going up every chance I get
when it won't be actually raining for at least the morning.

Old February 5th 15, 03:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard[_4_]

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 7:37:34 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Anyone know if the snowfall so far this year is "normal" in Summit County, CO?

According to http://bestsnow.net/, the following are percentages of normal as of Jan 31:

Breck: 104%
Copper: 114%
Keystone: 98%
Loveland: 95%

Narrative: "A-Basin opened one snowmaking run on October 17 and has been 95+% open since mid-January. Most of November was stormy in this region, so much more terrain than usual was open for Thanksgiving. There was little snow the first half of December so base depths settled to the 2 foot range. The pre-Christmas dump of up to 3 feet of dense snow pushed the base depths into the 4 foot range for very good holiday skiing at most areas. There was another 1-2 feet over the holidays. January snowfall was about half of normal, but many areas are close to average for the season due to the better earlier months."
Old February 5th 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 8:30:19 PM UTC-7, Dave Stallard wrote:
[...]

That sounds about right. The SNOTEL gauges are not all near the resorts and are better for predicting spring runoff. Generally they are a better indicator of actual snowpack than the reports issued by the resorts but not always. The thing about the SNOTEL gauge is that it's an actual measurement and not subject to any human interpretations unlike the reports from the resorts.

What I wonder is how Breckenridge is always over 100%. I don't think I have seen them report anything under 100% in the last five years or more.

The bottom line is that skiing is really not that great in Summit County right now but the base is ok so what really matters is how much snow they got last night.
Old February 6th 15, 04:36 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
On 02/04/2015 11:20 AM, Bob F wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

This season and toward the end of the last, the Snow Summit groomers
seem to have lost their touch. Big frozen ridges between passes,
holes that aren't filled in, and just generally inadequate. I can
see there will be problems with only a little snow, but they can push
enough in from the sides (I assume, anyway) to be able to at least do
it right out in the middle.

When I complained they apologized and said they'd mail me some lunch
vouchers. Nothing yet...

I remember a day or 2 like that. I suspect a recently "graduated" trainee.

Old February 8th 15, 04:31 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Grooming trainee or customer relations trainee?
Old February 8th 15, 04:34 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

According to the automatic snow sensors, Mammoth is now getting its biggest storm of the year.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jsp...cookies=cdec01

They only need to make up for 6 dry weeks.
Old February 8th 15, 12:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Sat, 7 Feb 2015 20:34:24 -0800 (PST), Richard Henry
wrote this crap:

According to the automatic snow sensors, Mammoth is now
getting its biggest storm of the year.

I'm glad it's not here. But this crappy weather is giving me time to
practice the banjo.

This signature is now the ultimate
power in the universe
Old February 11th 15, 11:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

lal_truckee wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I'll send them a polite email. They'd better make it extend
into the 2015-6 season -- Accuweather says this one is pretty much over
as far as I'm concerned.

FWIW, Brian Head was wonderful over the weekend. I drove exactly 1,000
miles in the rental car. That was weird.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It is never fallacious to properly cite Donald Knuth in