Quick release method for lift tickets?

Old September 11th 05, 10:11 PM
The Real Bev

klaus wrote:

AstroPax wrote:
P.S., just thought I would warn you that an alleged member of the
"vast right-wing conspiracy" would be in the general vicinity of your
neighborhood.

There's no conspiracy, Neither side has the knowledge or guts to
actually put an effective one together.

Au contraire, mon vieux!

--
Cheers, Bev
"A complete lack of evidence is the surest sign
Old September 12th 05, 09:46 AM
MoonMan

The Real Bev wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
snip
You can set the broken leg of somebody you'd rather see dead if
that's your job. I wish I'd watched more than one episode of
'Yes, Minister.' From what I saw, the Minister was an appointed
dolt and the real work was done by the professional staff. I
would guess, based on other political appointments (ambassadors
who don't speak the language of their host country, etc.), that
we use the same system.

The point of Yes Minister was that whatever the elected polititian
tried to do was frustrated by the permanent staff. sometimes
because it was a bad idea, sometimes because "we don't do it that
way", but usually because it was not in the interest of the civil
service.

I see. Just like here. Ministers are elected?

Well, yes (usually) and no

A Minister is Usually an MP and therefore elected to parliment, but
appointed a minister. but A Peer (Lord) can also be a Appointed as a
Minister and Peers are either appointed (by one of the political
parties or for doing good works or long service) or Hereditary (only
a few of these are left, and they are elected by the other
"Herieditory" Peers) In the case of "Yes Minister" The Minister is
an MP apointed by his party leader who is the current PM. though of
course in the sequel series Yes Prime minister he has been elected
leader of his party, and as his party has a majority in the house of
Commons is therefore Prime Minister.

There clear as Mud

So we might then assume that a Minister has at least some sort of
expertise at something, even if it's only getting elected, right?
Cronyism wouldn't play a huge part then, right? And a Ministry
wouldn't normally be regarded as a sinecure, right? How about
Ambassadorships?

Ambassadors are as far as I am aware career Civil servants who have worked
thier way up through the Diplomatic service. I may be wrong though

We do refer to people as "Tony's Cronies" but to get into office as a
minister they still have to get elected before they can be appointed.

Chris *:-)