A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Alpine Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old July 20th 16, 05:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,296
Default Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

On 7/20/2016 8:45 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/20/2016 07:05 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-7, BrritSki wrote:
On 06/07/2016 17:05, lal_truckee wrote:
On 7/6/16 12:33 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
From 0 to 20 degrees, tan() is also roughly the same as sin(), so you
throw that page out of your CRC math tables.

My copy of the CRC Math Tables was purchased by my mother in 1939 when
she was a freshman math student at Berkeley. Can't tear pages from an
heirloom. If I did she'd notice and ask me about it.

My copy of school log tables from 1964 have THURSDAY written in large
capital letters on the back. It was the maths lesson following afternoon
break where I'd concussed myself somehow and I kept asking my classmate
what day it was until he eventually wrote it down.

He eventually realised something was wrong and I was taken home where I
read the evening paper about 10 times, and went up to see if my bike was
OK after my "fall" about 20 times before I eventually was taken to
hospital and kept in for a couple of nights :/


The last hard fall I had skiing included a concussion - a whiplash
onto frozen surface early on a spring-skiing day after yesterday's wet
slop froze overnight. Even worse - I had borrowed my son's
snowboarding helmet, but decided not to wear it that day because it
had been uncomfortably hot the day before.

for some reason, this is starting to look like one of those
old-fashioned skiing threads


OK, let's keep it going. Although I always wore a helmet when I was
motorcycling and bicycling, and actually have a ski helmet, I don't wear
one skiing. The myriad falls I've had involved body parts not protected
by a helmet, so so far, so good.

Maybe I'd wear it if I painted it day-glo orange...




You are just playing the odds. All the helmet does in decrease the
chance of fracturing your skull or lacerating your head. Even with one
on you can get a traumatic brain injury if you hit something hard
enough. They also protect you from skiers waving their poles around, or
clocking you with their skis on their shoulders when they turn around
carelessly. I've worn a helmet since the time I "saw stars" after a hard
hit on icy snow. At this point, I feel undressed without it.
Ads
  #22  
Old July 21st 16, 03:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,756
Default Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 8:45:34 AM UTC-7, The Real Bev wrote:
On 07/20/2016 07:05 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 8:42:32 AM UTC-7, BrritSki wrote:
On 06/07/2016 17:05, lal_truckee wrote:
On 7/6/16 12:33 AM, Richard Henry wrote:
From 0 to 20 degrees, tan() is also roughly the same as sin(), so you
throw that page out of your CRC math tables.

My copy of the CRC Math Tables was purchased by my mother in 1939 when
she was a freshman math student at Berkeley. Can't tear pages from an
heirloom. If I did she'd notice and ask me about it.

My copy of school log tables from 1964 have THURSDAY written in large
capital letters on the back. It was the maths lesson following afternoon
break where I'd concussed myself somehow and I kept asking my classmate
what day it was until he eventually wrote it down.

He eventually realised something was wrong and I was taken home where I
read the evening paper about 10 times, and went up to see if my bike was
OK after my "fall" about 20 times before I eventually was taken to
hospital and kept in for a couple of nights :/


The last hard fall I had skiing included a concussion - a whiplash onto frozen surface early on a spring-skiing day after yesterday's wet slop froze overnight. Even worse - I had borrowed my son's snowboarding helmet, but decided not to wear it that day because it had been uncomfortably hot the day before.

for some reason, this is starting to look like one of those old-fashioned skiing threads


OK, let's keep it going. Although I always wore a helmet when I was
motorcycling and bicycling, and actually have a ski helmet, I don't wear
one skiing. The myriad falls I've had involved body parts not protected
by a helmet, so so far, so good.

Maybe I'd wear it if I painted it day-glo orange...

--
Cheers, Bev
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in
poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 per cent who are
apparently doing quite well for themselves." -- Emo Philips


From the box score in my son's last year playing college soccer (UC Davis at Oregon State)

Foul on UC Davis.
[59:57] Yellow card on UCD Henry, Alex.
[60:01] Shot by OSU Seymore, Will BLOCKED.
[60:08] OSU substitution: Small, Devonte for Bergen, Chance.
[60:08] UCD substitution: Mohageg, Lucas for Henry, Alex.

Reading between the lines -- my son committed the foul, for which he received a yellow card. He stood in the wall facing the free kick, and blocked the shot - with his head. That gave him a concussion, so he was taken out for the rest of the game, and that was the only time he missed all season.
  #23  
Old July 21st 16, 03:03 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,348
Default Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

On 7/20/16 8:57 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
From the box score in my son's last year playing college soccer (UC Davis at Oregon State)

Foul on UC Davis.
[59:57] Yellow card on UCD Henry, Alex.
[60:01] Shot by OSU Seymore, Will BLOCKED.
[60:08] OSU substitution: Small, Devonte for Bergen, Chance.
[60:08] UCD substitution: Mohageg, Lucas for Henry, Alex.

Reading between the lines -- my son committed the foul, for which he received a yellow card. He stood in the wall facing the free kick, and blocked the shot - with his head. That gave him a concussion, so he was taken out for the rest of the game, and that was the only time he missed all season.


Not to worry - there's medical magic in soccer.
I've seen players with injuries hideous, flopping in horrifying pain,
begging alternatively for mother and morphine, leap up instantly cured
to rejoin the fray.
As I said, I can only attribute it to soccer medical magic. May it
always protect your son.
  #24  
Old July 21st 16, 07:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,233
Default Jeopardy gets slope degree/percent wrong

On 07/21/2016 08:03 AM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 7/20/16 8:57 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
From the box score in my son's last year playing college soccer (UC
Davis at Oregon State)

Foul on UC Davis. [59:57] Yellow card on UCD Henry, Alex. [60:01]
Shot by OSU Seymore, Will BLOCKED. [60:08] OSU substitution: Small,
Devonte for Bergen, Chance. [60:08] UCD substitution: Mohageg,
Lucas for Henry, Alex.

Reading between the lines -- my son committed the foul, for which
he received a yellow card. He stood in the wall facing the free
kick, and blocked the shot - with his head. That gave him a
concussion, so he was taken out for the rest of the game, and that
was the only time he missed all season.


The only part of that I understood was from "blocked the shot" on. I
really hated soccer as a kid and was just SOOOO thankful that neither of
my kids showed any interest. If they had I would have had to beat it
out of them, and they were plenty tough -- I would have been really
tired when I was finished :-(

Not to worry - there's medical magic in soccer. I've seen players
with injuries hideous, flopping in horrifying pain, begging
alternatively for mother and morphine, leap up instantly cured to
rejoin the fray. As I said, I can only attribute it to soccer medical
magic. May it always protect your son.


See below.

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you expect to score points by whining, join a European soccer team."

--Demotivators poster

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you wear skiing at -26 degree Celsius (-14.8 degreeFahrenheit) mike Nordic Skiing 8 January 20th 09 04:59 PM
90 degree or 1 degree bevel ? Ron - NY Alpine Skiing 11 February 15th 05 05:46 AM
Slope Snacks Elle Navorski Alpine Skiing 53 February 8th 05 01:54 PM
technique is wrong or ski size is wrong: could you please help? S. S. Nordic Skiing 3 January 20th 04 11:02 AM
% Slope and Skins Jelso Backcountry Skiing 10 January 17th 04 04:51 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.