Hectares vs. Km of Piste

Old January 11th 05, 08:29 AM
Jeremy Mortimer

funkraum wrote in
:

"Edi" wrote:

[...]
My dodgy generalisation is that the US resorts probably have shorter
runs, lower vertical drops but at least do have more of the white
stuff which is always useful if you want to slide down it.

Alps were glaciated. Rockies were not.

I think you'll find they were. Further north, they still are.

Gives different terrain. The
slopes of the Rockies are wider, hence US skiers express surprise at
the number of catwalks in European resorts (which are bulldozed into
the mountain to enable easy transit).

I'm not sure where you're thinking of, but I wonder if some of these aren't
actually roads, or at least forestry tracks. Many of these become pistes in
winter. In other places short sections have been leveled to cross steep
areas, some of which are the sides of U-shaped valleys - certainly the
result of glaciation. Are there no U-shaped valleys in the Rockies?

Jeremy
Old January 11th 05, 10:10 AM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Marinus :
Edi wrote:
Why the difference and is there any way of comparing US and Euro
resorts on size ?

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

You're dividing values with different units. You can't do that! At least,
if you do, you won't get a meaningful answer.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.
Old January 11th 05, 01:42 PM
funkraum

Jeremy Mortimer wrote:
funkraum wrote in

"Edi" wrote:

[...]
My dodgy generalisation is that the US resorts probably have shorter
runs, lower vertical drops but at least do have more of the white
stuff which is always useful if you want to slide down it.

Alps were glaciated. Rockies were not.

I think you'll find they were. Further north, they still are.

You don't say !

I think the ice sheet descended as far as a latitude something like
the lower border of Ohio - I was very young at the time. Hence the
obtuse piles-of-rubble look of the lower Rockies, with the absence of
hanging valleys and the omission of the evil-looking scalloped flanks
in the fashion of the Weisshorn.

Gives different terrain. The
slopes of the Rockies are wider, hence US skiers express surprise at
the number of catwalks in European resorts (which are bulldozed into
the mountain to enable easy transit).

I'm not sure where you're thinking of, but I wonder if some of these aren't
actually roads, or at least forestry tracks. Many of these become pistes in
winter.

Various. Many were/are tracks/roads, many have been bulldozed. I
came up behind the bulldozing-in-progress once below Lac des Vaux at
Verbier.

In other places short sections have been leveled to cross steep
areas, some of which are the sides of U-shaped valleys - certainly the
result of glaciation. Are there no U-shaped valleys in the Rockies?

They tend to look like this top photo:

http://academic.emporia.edu/aberjame...ocky/rocky.htm

Nice enough, but not the sci-fi book cover vertigineity of something
like the Lauterbrunnen valley (Wengen-Mürren) up at Gimmelwald.

http://images.google.de/images?q=lau...r=&sa=N&tab=wi

Since the Rockies run from Alaska to New Mexico and so you could find
whatever you are looking for, somewhere.

Old January 11th 05, 06:30 PM
Marinus

Why the difference and is there any way of comparing US and Euro
resorts on size ?

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

You're dividing values with different units. You can't do that! At least,
if you do, you won't get a meaningful answer.

No way!
If you divide an area (m^2) with a width (m) you get a length (m). Meter is
quite meaningfull here on this side of the Nordsea ;-))

Marinus

Old January 11th 05, 06:46 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd Marinus :
No way!
If you divide an area (m^2) with a width (m) you get a length (m). Meter is
quite meaningfull here on this side of the Nordsea ;-))

Unless I misunderstood something, we were comparing area of resort as quoted
in the US with piste miles as quoted in Europe.

It's meaningless to divide the area of a European resort by the average
width of a piste: what does that tell you? In the extreme, imagine an average
piste width of 1 metre, and a resort of area 2 km^2. Does that mean it has
4,000 kilometres [1] of piste?

You need to MULTIPLY the average width of a piste by the total length of
the pistes to get a skiable pisted area.

Or have I assumed wrong, and US resorts' area means pisted area, not
total area within the bounds of the resort?

By the way, "Meter" is something which is used to measure stuff like
electricity or water. I'm talking metres here.

Adrian

[1] 2km^2 = 4 sq km[2]. 1 metre = 0.001 km.
[2] note km^2 and sq km are not the same thing
Old January 12th 05, 01:29 AM
Sammy

I can't let this one go: km^2 is just another way of writing sq km,
they are very much the same thing. I hope you're not in real estate
And while I'm at it, I think it is a bit harsh to "correct" our
European friend's written English: meter is a valid synonym for metre
in most of the world and it might just have been a typo.
Now where's that thread on helmets...

Old January 12th 05, 12:01 PM
Alex Heney

On 11 Jan 2005 17:29:02 -0800, "Sammy" wrote:

I can't let this one go: km^2 is just another way of writing sq km,
they are very much the same thing.

No they aren't.

3 sq Km is an area that would fit in a rectangle 1000m by 3000m.

3Km^2 is 9 Sq Km, which would need a 3000m by 3000m rectangle (square)
to enclose it.

And while I'm at it, I think it is a bit harsh to "correct" our
European friend's written English: meter is a valid synonym for metre
in most of the world and it might just have been a typo.

Yes, I agree that "correction" was uncalled for.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A man needs a good memory after he has lied.

Old January 12th 05, 12:20 PM
Ace

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:01:45 +0000, Alex Heney
wrote:

On 11 Jan 2005 17:29:02 -0800, "Sammy" wrote:

I can't let this one go: km^2 is just another way of writing sq km,
they are very much the same thing.

No they aren't.

3 sq Km is an area that would fit in a rectangle 1000m by 3000m.

3Km^2 is 9 Sq Km, which would need a 3000m by 3000m rectangle (square)
to enclose it.

No, I'm afraid you're mistaken. km^2 is the standard form of writing
what we'd normally say as 'square kilometre', in the same way as other
measures are used, e.g. lb/in^2 is spoken as 'pounds per square inch'.

The misleading term is the rarely-used 'kilometres square' which would
indeed indicate a 3*3km square, with an area of 9 km^2.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 12th 05, 12:24 PM
Alex Heney

wrote:

On 11 Jan 2005 17:29:02 -0800, "Sammy" wrote:

I can't let this one go: km^2 is just another way of writing sq km,
they are very much the same thing.

No they aren't.

3 sq Km is an area that would fit in a rectangle 1000m by 3000m.

3Km^2 is 9 Sq Km, which would need a 3000m by 3000m rectangle (square)
to enclose it.

No, I'm afraid you're mistaken. km^2 is the standard form of writing
what we'd normally say as 'square kilometre', in the same way as other
measures are used, e.g. lb/in^2 is spoken as 'pounds per square inch'.

The misleading term is the rarely-used 'kilometres square' which would
indeed indicate a 3*3km square, with an area of 9 km^2.

I would read km^2 as being kilometres square.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Oxymoron: Safe Sex.

Old January 12th 05, 12:41 PM
john elgy

Champ wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:12:41 +0100, Ace wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:09:19 +0000, Champ wrote:

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 00:31:12 +0100, "Marinus"
wrote:

Edi wrote:

Why the difference and is there any way of comparing US and Euro
resorts on size ?

Divide the area by the average piste width and you're done.

Never go off piste, eh?

So, the off-piste is counted in a resort's quoted 'km of piste' is it?

Dunno, but a typical US lift opens up a lot of terrain, which might
only have two marked routes down it.

My experience of Canada is that every possible variation from the lift
is marked and signposted as a seperate run. We even found one in
Whistler that was only 2m long (a drop off a cornice that then rejoined
the main route). My experience of skiing in the US is very limited.

FWIW I see some value in both descriptions, but like Edi I'm
frustrated by the lack of comparibility. Just means I have to ski them
all myself :-)

Yeah, that works.