Helmets!

Old January 9th 05, 07:15 PM
PG

"Alun Jenkins" wrote in message

| It's not compulsory in France, although you see signs telling people
| they should have one as part of this year's safety campaign. Some
ski
| schools refuse to take kids without them (small independents
mainly),
| and as far as I know the ESF hasn't changed their position from it
being
| "highly advisable".
|
| Also if you use the carte neige insurance it will be void with no
helmet
| this year.

Where did you see this information? I've had an annual carte neige for
years, and that's the first I've head of such a clause.

Pete

www.skiclublesarcs.com

Old January 9th 05, 07:56 PM
John Ricketts

Heheheee....

Looks like I started something!

that said, I'm bailing out now.....I'll join the rest of the lemmings and go
(reluctantly) buy a couple of helmets :-(

If you take logic to the ultimate conclusion, why not just ban cycling,
skiing and all other such "dangerous" sports! Just think how many accidents
will be prevented! We could all just partake using virtual headsets! Now
wouldn't that be fun!

Nanny-ism is just going too far. As of January, I can't even change my own
3-pin plugs at home now!

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
PG wrote:

"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
| snip
|
| Enough!
|
| There's too much of this crap on uk.rec.cycling.

snip

Enough!

If you don't want to talk about it, start a thread of your own about
something else. It's a valid topic, don't read it if you're not
interested. Those of us with kids should consider the implications of
wearing helmets on the slopes, and some of us have studied the issue in
considerable detail.

Just trying to save this group fom the pointless arguments which plague
other groups. It's got nothing to do with having kids (why shouldn't
adults wear them?), or indeed wearing helmets at all, it has got
everything to do with the group decending into a flame war of pointless
drivel which this topic will lead to.

To save you the wait here's the arguments that we'll see:

Helmets work.
No they don't.
Yes they do.
They make you too confident and you'll take more risks.
So why not put spikes on steering wheel to stop drivers being over
confident. etc etc (variations exist on this one, always nice to
spot a new one once in a while).
But you'd slow down if you didn't wear one.
No I wouldn't
Yes you would.
Stats prove it.
No they don't.
I know someone who was wearing a helmet and it got caught on a
t-bar and pulled their head clean off, so helmets are
dangerous.
He/She was an idiot.
Blah
Blah

Eventually someone calls someone else a Nazi and then it starts getting
all personal. Typically these threads extend to a couple if hundred posts
and if you bothered to read them all you'd get to the end and realise you
have learned a sum total of nothing about the topic in question.

Just trying to save you the effort, because before you know it you'll have
wasted hours of you life on this topic. The OP asked what the law was on
kids wearing helmets in Europe, and already we've got references to
childhood obesity and people citing single academic papers as total and
complete proof of their own particlaur view.

But you're right I don't have to read it and I'm not going to. I'll do
what I do on the other group and just kill every thread in my reader that
starts off this way.

Old January 9th 05, 08:23 PM
PG

"John Ricketts" wrote in message

| Nanny-ism is just going too far. As of January, I can't even change my
own
| 3-pin plugs at home now!

??! What's that all about?

Back on the subject of helmets, my 12 year old watched a shot of Baxter
on Ski Sunday in the slalom, and was disgusted that he wasn't wearing a
helmet - ok it wasn't a speed discipline, but they really can travel...

Pete

Old January 9th 05, 08:33 PM
Alun Jenkins

Where did you see this information? I've had an annual carte neige for
years, and that's the first I've head of such a clause.

Pete

www.skiclublesarcs.com

Hi Pete
all around the cham area are blue cn posters (with the dog !)
The wording reads "without your helment you are not insured"
Mind you my poor french translation could be to blame. Our ESF
instructor also said she had had to cancel some coures as the kids
couldnt get helmets as the hire place had run out. One way or the other
loath em or love em youre going to need lids for the kids ..

Old January 9th 05, 11:40 PM
James Hart

David Mahon wrote:
In article , John
Ricketts writes

Nanny-ism is just going too far. As of January, I can't even change
my own 3-pin plugs at home now!

Can't you? Still see them on sale (together with all the kit you need
to rewire your house if desired).

Not sure what country they live in but the UK has just had Part P kick into
action and the amount of bull**** that's being spread about it is
unbeleivable. Certain electrical jobs around the home are now subject to
restrictions but even the relevant authorities don't seem to know what's
supposed to happen and how they're supposed to police them.
Rewiring a plug is still allowed, replacing a socket is still allowed but
other stuff like adding an extra socket must be done by a certified person
(for that read "has paid their fees to a certifying body") or under a
Building Control Notice (and with the requires fees being paid).

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old January 10th 05, 12:06 AM
Champ

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:33:45 -0000, "Séan"
wrote:

Lets be sensible for a moment.....
The potential for serious injury, and I'm talking about to your childs
brain, is greatly increased whilst skiing, unlike walking to the shops!
Its not about 'litigtion' or what she might do to herself, its all the
other idiots skiing on the edge of control and about to lose it at the next
bump in the snow.

We all know that it is folly to let your child ride a bike without a helmet
for the same reason.

Boy this stuff makes me mad!

One of the most important things about skiing/snowboarding is being
out in such a fantastic environment, and experiencing it to the full.
Part of this is being aware of the dangers of the environment, too.

Now, the last thing I want to do is put some glassfibre between me and
that experience. And, as I know very well from riding and racing
motorcycles, putting on a helmet will cause some risk-compensation
behaviour. Far better to teach the kids that skiing is a potentially
dangerous activity, and act accordingly.

And - I really can't understand how generations of kids used to cycle
to school without a helmet (me included), but now "we all know it is
folly to let your child ride a bike without a helmet". I know no such
thing.
--
Champ
Old January 10th 05, 12:08 AM
Champ

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:23:40 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

Back on the subject of helmets, my 12 year old watched a shot of Baxter
on Ski Sunday in the slalom, and was disgusted that he wasn't wearing a
helmet - ok it wasn't a speed discipline, but they really can travel...

She was disgusted? That a grown mad could make his own judgement on
what precautions to take for his own life? See, this is what happens
when we insist that kids wear helmets....
--
Champ
Old January 10th 05, 12:46 AM
James Hart

David Mahon wrote:
In article , James Hart
writes
David Mahon wrote:
In article , John
Ricketts writes

Nanny-ism is just going too far. As of January, I can't even change
my own 3-pin plugs at home now!

Can't you? Still see them on sale (together with all the kit you
need to rewire your house if desired).

Not sure what country they live in but the UK has just had Part P
kick into action and the amount of bull**** that's being spread
about it is unbeleivable. Certain electrical jobs around the home
are now subject to restrictions but even the relevant authorities
don't seem to know what's supposed to happen and how they're
supposed to police them. Rewiring a plug is still allowed, replacing a
socket is still
allowed but other stuff like adding an extra socket must be done by
a certified person (for that read "has paid their fees to a
certifying body") or under a Building Control Notice (and with the
requires fees being paid).

Then someone ought to tell the DIY stores (this is link from B&Q)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templa...ontent=/bq_adv
ice/common/howtos/fitxtrasockets/

Naughty website, just shows the confusion that's about at the moment though.

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

Old January 10th 05, 05:14 AM
PG

"Champ" wrote in message
| On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:23:40 +0100, "PG"
| wrote:
|
| Back on the subject of helmets, my 12 year old watched a shot of
Baxter
| on Ski Sunday in the slalom, and was disgusted that he wasn't wearing
| helmet - ok it wasn't a speed discipline, but they really can
travel...

| She was disgusted? That a grown mad could make his own judgement on
| what precautions to take for his own life? See, this is what happens
| when we insist that kids wear helmets....

She was disgusted with what she saw as the example she felt was being
set, actually. A pretty mature position to hold for a youngster,
certainly beats jumping to conclusions about the motives/thinking of
others as you've just done!

And the comfort factor in the slowest of the speed disciplines was the
main motivator here, very little to do with judgment about the
precautions to be taken.

Pete

Old January 10th 05, 05:17 AM
PG

"Champ" wrote in message
| On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 11:33:45 -0000, "Séan"
| wrote:
|
| Lets be sensible for a moment.....
| The potential for serious injury, and I'm talking about to your
childs
| brain, is greatly increased whilst skiing, unlike walking to the
shops!
| Its not about 'litigtion' or what she might do to herself, its all
the
| other idiots skiing on the edge of control and about to lose it at
the next
| bump in the snow.
|
| We all know that it is folly to let your child ride a bike without a
helmet
| for the same reason.
|
| Boy this stuff makes me mad!
|
| One of the most important things about skiing/snowboarding is being
| out in such a fantastic environment, and experiencing it to the full.
| Part of this is being aware of the dangers of the environment, too.
|
| Now, the last thing I want to do is put some glassfibre between me and
| that experience. And, as I know very well from riding and racing
| motorcycles, putting on a helmet will cause some risk-compensation
| behaviour. Far better to teach the kids that skiing is a potentially
| dangerous activity, and act accordingly.
|
| And - I really can't understand how generations of kids used to cycle
| to school without a helmet (me included), but now "we all know it is
| folly to let your child ride a bike without a helmet". I know no such
| thing.

Rip out all the safety belts and let's teach everyone to drive more
carefully, shall we? LOL.

Pete

Helmets Scott Elliot Nordic Skiing 2 September 21st 04 11:08 PM
Helmets - any available with soft padding? Henry Snowboarding 8 February 26th 04 01:54 PM
Helmets Steve Haigh European Ski Resorts 50 February 5th 04 05:46 PM
Giro Nine helmets in stock at $79.95 [email protected] Marketplace 0 December 17th 03 12:41 PM
Helmets - thermal protection Ian Turek Snowboarding 4 November 13th 03 07:35 PM