gloves

Old February 6th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul Kelly

Default gloves

At last a new subject for trolls.
Or a discussion about the cost of certain type of bicycle shed.

I bought a pair of Level Mitts/Gloves, many years ago in Val T, which
have had their day but were so warm and did so well that I feel inclined
to simply replace what I had. Cannot do that of course as things have
changed

They were for snow boarders and had Biomec wrist protection.

Why I liked about them was that they were a mitten with a glove fleece
insert. They were robust (but were destroyed by a rope pull burning a
hole in the outer protective layer, my fault. I have no idea if the
wrist protection worked for skiers (I am not a boarder) but I felt it
was not wasted but would have liked some protection for my fingers.
There was a ventilation hole on the back of each glove and they had
other features which I have not used (e.g. nose wipe).

They dried very quickly. The inner glove was pulled out (it separated)
to dry and the mitt insulation layer could be pulled out (inside out)
for drying (but it remained attached to the glove).

They were unlike other gloves (of the time) which were a bit of a night
mare to get the inner layer back in place. These were easy peasy and
although mitt style the grip on the poles was that of a glove.

They were so cosy but never got too hot like some I have known - I could
fold my fingers in a ball within the mitt if things were really cold on
a lift for instance first thing in the morning. They were better at
keeping the fingers warm than anything I have ever known.

The few shops in Brides recently that stock gloves did not have Level
ones or any glove that came close to the old ones.

So I went to a boarding shop in the Forum in Courchevel and found they
only had Level gloves and at the time I was predisposed to mitts.

Since coming home I have studied what is available on the web.

The Level site does not sell gloves.
http://www.levelgloves.com/
and has so much information and range that I feel confused.

Others only sell part of the range and in some cases appear not to want
to tell you that the products are Level branded and in other cases it
seems difficult to find out if the gloves or mitts are meant for ladies
or men - with possible sizing difficulties.

I am nowhere near a ski shop and need to buy on line for next year.

Anyone else found themselves in a similar position?

What did you buy to keep your hands warm and protected?

--
PK
Remove the xtra y from my name in the email address if replying directly
Old February 6th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

On 6 Feb, 12:32, Paul Kelly wrote:
[...]

My first pair were some relatively cheap 'Ami Chaud' mitts from Snow
and Rock (about 10 years ago) and I must admit I've never had anything
warmer. When I finally went through the leather on those I switched to
some Versant Nord ski gloves with these silky waterproof inners which
I bought in resort. Very happy with them, although my fingers did get
a bit cold last year when it was minus 20 with a stiff breeze. After
maybe 40 weeks use (that includes carrying a board by its edge) The
leather on the thumbs is getting ripped off, but the rest is intact.

I wouldn't bother with wrist protectors personally - as a skier I'd
say it's unlikely you'll land on them in a way that will let the
protectors transfer the force up the arm - they're much more suited to
boarders who still put their arms out or intentionally use their arms
in the park or in the pipe. In any case, above a certain speed the
transferred force can be enough to cause damage further up the arm.

Matt

Roller Ski Pole Grip with Toko Gloves (unpadded suede) versus Padded Bike Gloves [email protected] Nordic Skiing 8 May 1st 07 02:03 PM
Gloves for wet riding [email protected] Snowboarding 15 January 7th 06 09:57 PM
electric gloves DZN Alpine Skiing 13 November 21st 05 09:14 PM
FA: Columbia men's ski pants, Nike ACG gloves, Kombi Weatherguard gloves [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 23rd 05 05:34 AM
Level Gloves pyrman Snowboarding 0 August 9th 03 03:24 PM