word of warning

Old January 9th 04, 09:47 AM
PG

Default word of warning

With the new automatic cameras in France, if anyone is thinking of using
a radar detector.... leave it at home. Anyone caught with one is banned
from driving on the spot, the detector confiscated. The ban from driving
in France can be as much as 3 years. If you're the only driver in the
car and at the port of arrival, you'll be put straight back on the boat.
If elsewhere in France you'll either have to get your motoring
association to repatriate the car, or get someone from the UK to collect
the car on your behalf.

The authorities in France are determined to crack down and the
ports/airports are being provided with a list of banned drivers. Anyone
previously banned re-entering France faces a heavy fine and a possible
custodial sentence.

The cameras are pretty hard to spot by the way, often hidden behind
signs, bridges etc. Hundreds more being introduced in the next few
months.

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 09:53 AM
Paul Schofield

"PG" wrote in message
[...]

Isn't there a helpful website to tell us where all the cameras are?

--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old January 9th 04, 10:10 AM
PG

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message

| "PG" wrote in message

| The cameras are pretty hard to spot by the way, often hidden behind
| signs, bridges etc. Hundreds more being introduced in the next few
| months.

| Isn't there a helpful website to tell us where all the cameras are?

There is, but with the number of installations programmed during 2004
plus an increase in mobile speed traps, you'd probably lose more time
checking the map as you drive down than you would 'only' driving within
the limit! (6 kph margin for error by the way)...

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 10:15 AM
MoonMan

"PG" wrote in message

The cameras are pretty hard to spot by the way, often hidden behind
signs, bridges etc. Hundreds more being introduced in the next few
months.

Isn't there a helpful website to tell us where all the cameras are?

There is, but with the number of installations programmed during 2004
plus an increase in mobile speed traps, you'd probably lose more time
checking the map as you drive down than you would 'only' driving
within the limit! (6 kph margin for error by the way)...

do you have a URL?

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 9th 04, 10:57 AM
PG

"MoonMan" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
| "Paul Schofield" wrote in message
|
| "PG" wrote in message
|

| The cameras are pretty hard to spot by the way, often hidden
behind
| signs, bridges etc. Hundreds more being introduced in the next
few
| months.
|
| Isn't there a helpful website to tell us where all the cameras are?
|
| There is, but with the number of installations programmed during
2004
| plus an increase in mobile speed traps, you'd probably lose more
time
| checking the map as you drive down than you would 'only' driving
| within the limit! (6 kph margin for error by the way)...
|
| do you have a URL?

Official sites:

http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...dars_fixes.htm
(current fixed locations)
http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...f/planning.htm
(planned locations)
http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...rs_mobiles.htm
(mobile traps)

Unofficial site (down at moment)

http://www.radarsfixes.com/

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 11:44 AM
MoonMan

PG wrote:

"PG" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks, don't think any got me, which sort of cameras are they? film or
electronic?

Chris *:-)

Old January 9th 04, 11:58 AM
Nigel (Remove NOSPAM)

What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road rather
than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

MoonMan wrote:

PG wrote:

"MoonMan" wrote in message

PG wrote:

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message
.net...

Old January 9th 04, 12:24 PM
Ian Spare

Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road rather
than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it to
Calais without passing a camera.

Ian
Old January 9th 04, 12:32 PM
PG

"MoonMan" wrote in message
| PG wrote:
|
| The cameras are pretty hard to spot by the way, often hidden
| behind signs, bridges etc. Hundreds more being introduced in
the
| next few months.
|
| Isn't there a helpful website to tell us where all the cameras
are?

| There is, but with the number of installations programmed during
| 2004 plus an increase in mobile speed traps, you'd probably lose
| more time checking the map as you drive down than you would 'only'
| driving within the limit! (6 kph margin for error by the way)...
|
| do you have a URL?
|
| Official sites:
|
| http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...dars_fixes.htm
| (current fixed locations)
| http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...f/planning.htm
| (planned locations)
| http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...rs_mobiles.htm
| (mobile traps)
|
| Unofficial site (down at moment)
|
| http://www.radarsfixes.com/
|

| Thanks, don't think any got me, which sort of cameras are they? film
or
| electronic?

They're digital.
http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...&story_id=2088

Pete

Old January 9th 04, 12:35 PM
PG

"Ian Spare" wrote in message
| Nigel (Remove NOSPAM) wrote:
| What's the rush ? What's it matter if it takes 15hrs on the road
rather
| than 10, take it easy & you wont have to worry . :-)

| Quite. We were passed by a whole stream of English and Dutch cars
| between Cluses and Geneva on Saturday doing speeds around, I would
| guess, 180kph. We wondered how many of the English cars would make it
| Calais without passing a camera.

And the French are driving a lot more slowly, no doubt about it. Big
reduction in fatalities during November.

Pete