Ski Trip from hell!

Old November 28th 03, 05:52 PM
PG

Default Ski Trip from hell!

"funkraum" wrote in message
"Dean Kellett" wrote:

[...]
transfer buses etc.
French motorways are "snooker table smooth" and remember the longer you

stay
on the motorway the cheaper it is per mile (back to the first statement,
plan your route, fuel up off the motorway) Driving is easy and the

driving
standards are generally better than in the UK especially when it comes to
lane discipline!

I've not found driving standards in France so hot, but perhaps things have
changed in the UK since I last drove there regularly? Tailgating and inside
overtaking are the rule if you're at a mere 130/140 kph on the autoroute. In
town it's worse, drivers often don't bother to signal, especially on
roundabouts. And as for respecting red lights... Still, there are far less
accidents per head in France, although that might be something to do with
the congestion on British roads.

[...]

- 'lane discipline'

This is due to French autoroutes (especially the ones used by skiers)
being quieter than English, and the fact that lane-hogging on a
half-empty autoroute will receive and aggressive headlight-flashing
approach from a French driver speeding up behind.

Old November 29th 03, 01:27 AM
Alex Heney

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:52:31 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

"funkraum" wrote in message
.. .
"Dean Kellett" wrote:

[...]
transfer buses etc.
French motorways are "snooker table smooth" and remember the longer you

stay
on the motorway the cheaper it is per mile (back to the first statement,
plan your route, fuel up off the motorway) Driving is easy and the

driving
standards are generally better than in the UK especially when it comes to
lane discipline!

I've not found driving standards in France so hot, but perhaps things have
changed in the UK since I last drove there regularly? Tailgating and inside
overtaking are the rule if you're at a mere 130/140 kph on the autoroute.

If inside overtaking is possible, then the person being overtaken is
in the wrong lane.

roundabouts. And as for respecting red lights... Still, there are far less
accidents per head in France, although that might be something to do with
the congestion on British roads.

The UK has the best record in the world for deaths and serious
injuries per million vehicle (or passenger) kilometres, according to
official statistics. I have seen several sites listing comparative
statistics, and while the actual numbers vary a little, they are
remarkably consistent in the relative numbers between different
countries.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
These are only my opinions. You should see my convictions.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old November 29th 03, 07:18 AM
PG

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 18:52:31 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

[...]
[...]

Sorry, that's just not the case. If I move out to the fast lane to overtake,
leaving the appropriate distance between the car in front of me and myself,
then there is ample room for others to force their way into the resultant
gap if they so wish. And they do so, regularly.

roundabouts. And as for respecting red lights... Still, there are far

less
accidents per head in France, although that might be something to do with
the congestion on British roads.

The UK has the best record in the world for deaths and serious
injuries per million vehicle (or passenger) kilometres, according to
official statistics. I have seen several sites listing comparative
statistics, and while the actual numbers vary a little, they are
remarkably consistent in the relative numbers between different
countries.
--

I didn't mention fatal or serious injury accidents, just accidents. In the
International Road Traffic and Accident Database 2000 statistics, 'Accident'

Accident statistics compared with number of vehicles on the road:

Country: % of accidents as proportion of vehicles: No. of vehicles: No. of
accidents:
UK 0.8 per cent
29,638,976 242,118
Germany 0.7 per cent 51,351,875
382,950
Italy 0.6 per cent
37,836,000 211,940
Spain 0.4 per cent
23,283,538 101,730
France 0.3 per cent 34,291,275
121,220

I haven't seen the serious injury/fatal accident stats recently, but in
France there is a major campaign under way, as mentioned elsewhere in this
thread. Permitted alcohol levels are being lowered, there's even talk of
zero tolerance. Random police checkpoints and breathalizing. Stricter
enforcement of speed limits through automatic cameras, with a very low
margin for 'error', I believe it's 5%.

Pete

Old December 5th 03, 08:15 PM
funkraum

"helloblondie" wrote:
"PG" wrote in message

Careful.... they're really cracking down on speeding in France. New
high-tech equipment, alcohol limits lowered (equivalent of 2 units now),
automated cameras, random breathalizers, on the spot fines ... there's a
major government move to crack down on accident levels ....

To make it worse, drivers of foreign registered cars won't get away with

it
much longer - there's a Europe-wide plan to impose a system with fines

being
chased wherever you're from...

Looks like first of January for the EU wide warrants coming in.

Are you saying the party's over Pete. No more TVR thrashing on the way to Le
Mans!

In my opinion, those roads in Normandie, including the Rouen to Le
Mans stretch used by the English heading for the Le Mans meet are best
exploited in a month well away from the Le Mans meet and during a week
day. If you are already at Le Mans there are several in all directions
which are well worth a good look.

The flics are out in force, lining the road from the coast all the way
to Le Mans in the days before the meet, out to catch Le Rosbif for
every cent they can.

Do it before the GATSO situation becomes worse.

The end of our over night speed fest down to Monaco!

Do not forget to vary the route with the excellent "Route Napoleon".